Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Hey Colesy....do you have a class winner list from Indy in 69 by any chance???

2. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

I have no idea but it was probably peanuts by today's standards, even factoring in inflation. I'm surprised at what the Allen/Briggs Chevrolet car brought. This past spring, Jenkins' Vega sold for $300K+ and Sox & Martin's Cuda went for $400K+ at one of the auctions. Despite the current economy, both the Jenkins and S & M cars are much better known.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  3. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Speaking from first hand experience, Carl is a class act and a pleasure to deal with. The quality of his photos are second to none. Anybody buying from him will not be disappointed
    Doug

4. jack w braun

jack w braun
    from wayne mi

colsey yes sam was he had a heart attack and never recovered,his son butch worked for me for years.we use to have a bunch of racers from your side of the river. ican't remember was it poole or elliot that had the blond hair,he use to stop by bill's speed shop in romulus once in a while.last time i seen him he was at the sam stockwell memorial race in 80's with his t-bolt running SS/C.ray Paquet use to run his T- bolt there to.

5. colesy

colesy

Here's a partial list Roger. Is there someone in particular you are looking for? I have loads of coverage from 5 or 6 of the magazines from 69. I also have the Stock entry list from Indy 69 if you need it. Let me know.

Attached Files:

6. colesy

colesy

Yep, that'd be Barrie Poole Jack. He was a member of the Sandy Elliot race team with Sandy's son John. They were probably our best known and most successful race team up here. Barrie is still racing in the GT Super Stock class and still shifting a 4 speed. Here he is back in 66 with a nice old Mercury Comet Stocker. He moved up to Super Stock in 67 and onto Pro/Stock in 1971.

Attached Files:

7. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Sorry Bill, but I found this one a little while ago and thought I would post it. I'll get to the pics I bought soon. Got to have something to look forward to.........LOL

Attached Files:

8. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Almost forgot this one!

Attached Files:

9. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

No wonder Woody beat the socks off everybody -- according to your posting - Woody was blowin em awa with those big 9" slicks !! I seem to vaguely recall that the rest of us were restricted to 7" tires - eh?? LOL
    Woody's a hell of a guy -- Hows about a current day pic of that old gear jammer?
    Talk about stories --- man does he have em!!! Hey Woody - hope ya dont mind me postin yur pic!!
    tweed
    [​IMG]

10. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Pete-
    Cant be a Doc Burgess connection here --- Burgess car is 67 (es-Woodland/Brainbeau car)-- Tanner/Dunlap's is a 66.
    Interestingly, the car in the pic with the Jenkins decal wasnt even equipped with the W-30 set-up --- Only the White Tornado had the W-30. There were several of us at our local track that were running Jenkins motors at the time (1966)
    Tweed

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

A removable transmission hump in STOCK? Took me a second longer to figure out that's a floor jack in the passenger side; balast? Never seen that approach with hood pins either. Pretty car, I always liked the 66-67 Olds 442's. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. I was just looking at . Last year over on the "modern " S/S forum, there were pics of an A/Stock Camaro with a removable tunnel and dashboard! It had some of the boys all torqued off for a few days.
    In all though, I don't think it was ever specifically illegal. If one were to cut a tunnel out of a similar car that was an inch bigger all around and screw it in place, I really don't see the problem. A lot of us had patches and pieces of metal to close up the hole around the shifter anyway.
    Still I would have made sure I had a specific OK from tech before I allowed a picture like that in a national publication.

I don't think you could get away with the hood pin trick, even now.

13. Bob W

Bob W
    from Here

I had that in 1981. I cut out the floor from the seat to the firewall in length and from the flat floor to the other side of the hump's flat floor in width. Then I cut one out of another car 1 inch or so bigger and bolted it in place.

You could change the clutch and trany from the front seat. I never hid it and knowone ever questioned it.

Was I cheating ?

Bob

14. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

There's a removable tranny hump in my car.

:cool:

15. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

Nice pic Colesy. I too had a removeable section in my 55 floorboard to remove tranny, shifter and all. A must for three speed cars. Never a question about it.

16. biscaynes

biscaynes

here's a 2 pg article on the 'monster mash'
    if you look at the trans picture, you can see a large removable floor panel above it.

Attached Files:

17. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

yep, was looking to see if larry won class that year....its in the one you put up...thanks...am searching for that photo..pop said he has it....somewhere! thanks again !

18. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

19. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

"Hey- Is that a tach on Joes dash of his 57? I thought he didnt like to use tachs! The seat of his pants must not have been working that day"

That was Butch Leal who didn't use a tach,not Joe.

20. Butch Leal didn't use a tach?
    -Dean

21. POPSTAGE2

POPSTAGE2
    from Wisconsin

In the Buick World, no one seems to recall this car...anyone?
    Btw, it is not the same car as the other Reynolds Stg2 car (mine)

[​IMG]

22. Tony Janes

Tony Janes

This was Lenny's stock eliminator car for 1970.

23. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'm not surprised, with a Hydros' weight, they probably used a cherry picker to R and R it. I knew there were lots of little tricks in the Junior Stocker days, the trans hump modification just seemed out of place. Glad my Delivery did'nt get that mod. Butch/56sedandelivery.

24. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

you are right Mr. Glover Butch Leal didnt like to use a tach, but to quote the Nov. 1974 Car Craft magazine regarding Joes SS/O 74 challenger "it has fewer engine monitoring gauges then most street machines and is sans tachometer Allread doesnt think its needed" "I shift by the seat of my pants anyway, so why carry the wieght"? ( Mr. Glover, please dont feel I was talking dirt about Joe Allread, I have admired his engine building and racecar building abilitys since I was a teenager and to this day am glad to hear of his building abilitys with the hemis!)

25. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

KEEP THE OLDSMOBILES COMING!!!!! By the way, ALL of the Anderson Olds (BALTO.,MD) racecars retained their window stickers while they were in competition. The reason? The cars were "FOR SALE" during the time they were raced and when the next years model arrived it was time to put them back on the lot as available inventory. Also, with the window sticker in place, spectators could price out a possible purchase. Remember--"Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday"!

26. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hey Ron, I lost your Phone# I' get the pics -----Dave

27. Juniorstocker

Juniorstocker

Anyone interested in purchasing new (not recap) 7 inch cheater slicks with a 15" wheel can now purchase them from M&H Tire. They started reproducing them a couple of months ago. I purchased a pair of 900-15's and they are made from the same molds as in the 60's.

~Butch

28. Guys if anyone has a pair, or even ONE of these Stahl stickers I will pay cash for it. They were roughly 7.5"x12" (and in color, not black and white). One of the last stickers holding up the lettering/decals for the restoration.
    -Dean

Attached Files:

29. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

They all ran 14s". Repro 15s" are ok for a "created car" but 14s" were what were used then. Try to find a set of wide white 14" cheaters?!?!?? Or Atlas Bucrons (basically the same thing)
    :)

30. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

from the archives!!! Charlie Lutz 57 national record holder"little hot stuff" which he sold only to buy another 57 "little terror" I asked him at lunch today why would you sell one to buy another just like it??? He paused and said " well....., we were f'd up.".... made me laugh.Like he always does. So heres some Charlie stuff....

Attached Files: