Register now to get rid of these ads!

did some tresspassing, found an interesting old hot rod..now what is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retromodern101, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Hey guys,
    I helped my girlfriend move this weekend, and where she has moved there is a car shop on the corner called vintage autos. I've driven past there a few times now, always looking at some of the rusting cars sitting in the back. I did walk up there yesterday, and sitting outside the fence was a 50-60's ford truck and a 64/65 Falcon ranchero quietly rusting. Well across the street from there is an older house that looks vacant(turns out its some crazy old man) and behind it in the woods are some other cars. I spotted a 65 Malibu wagon, 66 Malibu, and a few others. The main one that popped out was this little rod that I have included pics of. its rough, but it could be salvaged i'm sure. Not sure of the frame, but it has had an old ifs put on it, and the floorboard looked like it was modded to get the seats to fit lower you will see in the pics). I have no idea what the car is though...anyone want to take a guess? Next time i head over there i'll grab some pics with my nice camera instead of my phone.

Thanks

Gray

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. 3step

3step

Late 20's or early 30's Shame

3. white64

white64
    from Maine

"crazy old man"?

What if it's some "crazy old man with a gun!"

4. Yeah, crazy versus eccentric; the proper term just depends on how much bank they have!:D

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Cool old rod but not worth getting shot over. People that don't respect boundrys............Well, I don't want anyone coming on my property and nosing around my cars and I sure as hell wouldn't do it to someone else.

6. My thoughts excatly! HRP

7. white64

white64
    from Maine

off topic.. Just noticed... I'm a "Grenade Inspector" now, is that good?

8. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Durant??? Maybe go knock on the door and ask about it, not asking if its for sale, but saying you saw it and would love to know the story about it. You might hear some great stories, maybe even end up going home with a car.

9. It's a couple of steps up from being a FNG.:D HRP

10. Sorry guys...you are right..shouldn't have gone there in the first place..I just thought it was too cool to not check out. I'm going to ask the auto shop who's it is, because, thanks to my land surveying knowledge, the flag sticks marking the property boundry were in front of where I was...so it wasn't the same plot of land as the old mans house.... but that still doesn't make it right.

11. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

I'm knocking first. That is why we have google earth.:D

12. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

I'm with PANHEAD PETE. when you live in the country its like politics with the oldtimers. You need to be patient but not too patient & build a relationship.

13. Pictures stink to try to ID it from, they don't show anything I can even compare to spotters guides. I thought it might be an A with the quarter windows filled, but the doors aren't A. Would need to see the cowl sides, dash, that sort of thing to actually ID it. So from here it looks like some time bent over having your girlfriend pick buckshot out of your ass for you.

14. 31whitey

31whitey

Almost looks like its sitting on deuce rails....

Check the reveal...

Shooting someone is so streetrod...

Ive dug a moat around my land....got a dragon....and pour hot oil on tresspassers...

Im so pre war....Im pre rennisance....

15. JF

JF
    from Utah

I can't tell you how many times I have researched public records and parcel maps, ( and google earth) to find or track down a property owner who has some sort of treasure parked out back :D
    If nothing else you can find out some names and act somewhat informed about the owners and maybe even name drop some of the neighbors names, they tend to loosen up a bit if they think you know some of the neighbors too.

I'm a Land Surveyor/Old Car Truck Scout Only wish I had a way to see into the shed's etc. Tresspassing is a Surveyors way of life, typically try to knock on adjoiners doors or make contact but doesn't always happen and if we need to survey through we just tread lightly and quickly. Unless there are big dogs or really tall fences :) (most of these situations were more rural than your suburban settings but sometimes were)
    I only had guns waved around once and it was just a curious neighbor from accross the road!

good luck

16. skidsteer

skidsteer

It means you've been around longer than an FNG, but you're not yet an Alliance Member.

17. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

18. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. got a spare dragon? i keep getting drug into "streetrod land":rolleyes:! when i get my dragon his name will be "mossberg!":eek::D

20. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Stay away,it's mine. I'm just storing it there until I can afford to have the bullet hole stickers installed.

21. 345WindowOregon

345WindowOregon

22. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go back, knock on some doors, ask some polite questions, post results in this thread.

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

", found an interesting old hot rod.."

The "crazy old man" might not be aware that his jalopy is lost.............:D

I don't care what law allows what, anybody entering my property without calling at the door first is going to be greeted with a (not so courteous) hostile, "what do you want?", then get a piece of my mind for not having the common courtesy to announce their presence. Any response, even from a surveyor or a utility worker, that indicates an attitude will result in my ordering them away with instructions to have their supervisor call me. That said, the worker is not always at fault, it's the responsibility of the Company to notify property owners.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  24. Southfork

Southfork

Yeah, why do surveyors think they can go where ever they want without permission? (this is a general question and I don't mean you). On my rural 40-acre parcel where I have many of my rod parts and projects stored, surveyors have NEVER asked my permission to do their surveying and three or four different survey/engineering firms have surveyed thru it in the last 10 years. I find stakes and red ribbons, or worse yet hatchet slashes and nails driven in trees (as reference points) that evidence the surveyors' screwing around. Sometimes the trees die when they are marked with hatchets and nails. I always wonder if I'm losing valuable Model A or T or early V8 Ford parts from my parts piles every time the surveyors cross thru.

25. I dont Know about the law in your state but her in ark surveyors are exempt from trespassing laws. They are allowed to go anywhere and cut and mark any thing that they deem necessairy to do the job.:confused: As for curious gawkers who dont have proper respect for the property line:mad:. Read my avitar!:eek: Oldwolf

26. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

I would say an old willys.. 29-31... If you take a pic of the firewall then that would be a big indicator

27. alchemy

alchemy

In my state (Iowa) and probably your's as well, surveyors have the right to travel along the property line to do their work. They are not supposed to cross through the middle of the property, but sometimes they do as a shortcut. If you see them doing so, ask them to stay along the property line.

As for marking trees, it is somewhat common to place a railroad pin in a tree as a marker, but I've never heard of a surveyor cutting an X as a permanent marker. And a couple pin flags and lath never hurt anybody (or their old cars).

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Its got an old VW seat in it...maybe a rare first run production GermanMobile...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

What kind of car is it? Most likely one thats not for sale and will rot to the earth waiting for the owner to....."Fix her up one of dee's days!!!! YUP"

30. abone1930

abone1930

Go for it drag it home :D Looks like it is on 32 rails.