Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mallory dual points

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have a newer mallory dual point for a small block Ford. I had a problem with the ignition braking up. It would stumble a little bit occasionnaly so I cleaned the points with an ignition timing. That made it worse... mainly while accelerating hard. The points aren't even that old or look burnt. Anything I should do before I change the points or trash this distributor?

2. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Just use some clean paper pulled thruogh points and be sure there set right,too much gap messs with them or too little, If you have another condenzer use it.

3. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Condenser for sure!!

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Me to, I recon the condenser.
    If you plan to replace it buy a bunch of them because you gunna need them.
    Junk it and go newer technology.

Read the other mallory threads and verify it.

5. Put a petronix kit in and never worry about it again !!!!

6. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

somebody on here will have the napa part #'s for you but this is what you should do. the newer mallory units come with JUNK parts. the unit itself comes as a nice rebuildable core when new. replace the points and condensor with new echlin parts from napa. I bought a condensor from an early 60's small block vette when I needed a replacement for my flatheads' distributor. the points i have heard talk about were a marine replacement. They have extra insulation on the wires which is a problem with the points that come in that dizzy.

all in all you spend a few bucks for new parts and have a unit that can be rebuilt on the side of the road nicely. the other thing you can do is get a factory ford electronic dizzy which you will never have to worry about ever. I wouldn't get a pertronix unit when you can get the bullet proof factory unit....

7. john walker

john walker

key phrase: "can be rebuilt on the side of the road". once your electronic whizz bang unit goes south, you're walking.

8. NAPA still sells Blue Streak points (they are the same points that we ran in the '60s) and as has been mentioned the points that come new with the new mallory dizzys are not real high quality. I have no idea why.

The mallory I dropped in my FE in 03 the points were only good for about 1,500 miles. I dropped a set of Blue Streaks in it (now marketed by echlin) and never had a problem with it after.

Something you will need to do prior to putting your new point in is take a piece of emory cloth to the foot ( where they screw to the point plate) and rough them up a little. Malllory has changed the point plate on the new distributers and the points don't want to hold an adjustment as well. Roughing up the mointing foot makes all the difference in the world. Set them between .020 and .022.

9. FlatheadPat

FlatheadPat

Are these blue streak points available for the old style Mallory? I just installed a YCM in my flattie with Magna Spark Coil.. and info on parts upgrades for this would be appreciated. Part no's?? I want to stock up on spare parts. Also any leads on the old style large condensers used on this distributor?

BTW I noticed an immediate improvement over the stock distributor. The YCM is total mechanical advance. Eliminating the worries about whether or not there is enough venturi vacuum from one carb to properly advance the stock dist.. I'm running a fairly stock engine with dual holley 94's on a Fenton Super. The car starts easier and runs better with the new distributor.

10. Someone on here know the dwell settings for these? I know that you unplug one set of points and set the first set to a certain dwell value, then replug the other set and adjust it to attain 35 degrees?

I do know that dwell is key to making any points type distributor run properly, and yes, they do come with a certain amount of care, but no big deal, as hot rods need extra attention just like a beautiful lady!

11. Drive Em

Drive Em

Pull one of the sets of points out of it, and hook up an MSD, Crane, Summit, Jacobs or whatever CD ignition box to it. The points will now only tell the box when to fire, as they will carry milliamps of voltage through them and they will last forever. You will get a far better spark than any Pertronix junk will provide, and if the box ever goes south, you can switch a couple of wires and get home on points power alone.

12. Don't you also remove the condensor?

13. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

this is also not a bad idea. I've got an old mallory rev-pol 4 lobe dual point dizzy for a sbc that i'm planning to use with a msd 6al that I've got lying around. the 4 lobe dizzy means that you don't have to remove the second set of points, if the box dies you just connect the wires without the box and all is right with the world.

14. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

I have been running a pertronix ignitor II in my mallory dual point for 5 years have have not had any problems.

15. Drive Em

Drive Em

You're right on the four lobe dizzys which are called Double Life Distributors, you have to leave both sets of points in them. I have a Mallory that triggers an MSD box in my '27 track T, and it performs flawless. As a matter of fact, I have points triggered MSD's in everything I own and they work flawless including 7,000 RPM blasts in my Mach I.

16. x2 !

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Not to jack this thread, but does anyone have the NAPA or Eichlin part number for the Mallory replacement points?

18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Real men use points

19. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

Thanks guys. I have napa points and condenser in it now they have lasted two or three years. Prior I was swearing by the Mallory stuff and I had to go through the distributor every year.

I am considering going to the pertronix in this because I'm getting tired of going through this distributor so often for the miles I put on the car and I don't have this problem with my other points cars.

If I use the pertronix to I need to change the mallory coil that was made for the points distributor???