Register now to get rid of these ads!

Distributor recommedations SBF

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Automotive Stud, Aug 30, 2009.

1. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm thinking about replacing the mallory dual point in my 302. It's been problem after problem. Any recommendations? I'm not too keen on the electronic ones, I'm sure there's a good dual point that won't be as much of a hassle as this one is. This is my second mallory dual point with problems.

2. Dustin Cottrell

Dustin Cottrell

What are you running for an engine combination? If your running an average mild street rod type engine the factory single point will do everything you need to do. Take it to somebody that has a distributor machine and have them install the heavy duty points and recurve it for your application and you won't have any more problems. I have a 63 falcon with a mild 289 and it does just fine with this setup. Good Luck.

3. havi

havi

got coin? Davis Unified Ignition. Got less coin? Duraspark II stock. Traditional looking? single or dual point and throw a pertronix inside it. My $.02

4. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Duraspark works well and is available, inexpensive, and has a very similar appearance to the original distributor.

5. The Law

The Law
    from N. AZ

Stock, pertronix....

Never failed me.

6. Mojo

Mojo

I read you don't want to go electronic, but I really like my MSD and duraspark II. Other than changing the advance curve is a pain, because crane made the springs and now they're out of business.

7. I run a Mallory dual point with a Petronix conversion. In my Roadster and my Falcon. It is the simplest way to go Just unbolt the points plate. Put the Petronix in, finish set up and Never Never worry about it again EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. WZ JUNK

WZ JUNK
    from Neosho, MO

I like the aftermarket HEI GM type that is adapted to work on a Ford. Available from Speedway and others.

John

9. Mojo, I don't want to get too far off the subject, but Mr. Gasket springs may work.

And you may be able to find some at a 'real' hardware store.

I found some sprngs that will fit my Mallory Uni-Lite at True Value Hardware a few weeks back.

Comparing the replacement springs wire diameter to a Mallory spring it looks like you could come up with the advance curve you want.
    At least on a Mallory.
    Not sure about MSD, but if their springs are similar to GM springs it may work for you.

Fwiw - My Mr. Gasket springs - and weights - are from a kit about 20 years old, but they're still probably the same.

Mallory sells a spring assortment kit that's color coded and they have a graph that shows which spring to use for the timing curve you want.

Trouble is, just under $50. after shipping....

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

+1. Can't beat GM HEI for reliability and cost

11. I run a dura spark dissy powered by a 4-pin HEI module mounted under the dash.

12. Aside from the fact that an HEI in a FORD is beyond butt ugly, it is also a very poor design. Putting the coil in the cap puts it in a very hostile environment and there are all kinds of problems with RFI leakage that creates spark scatter etc. Look inside an HEI cap that has run for awhile and you will always see more traces of carbon arcing from Ionization than any other ignition system.
    Do they work? Sure they do, but that doesn't mean that they are of high quality. Work in a parts store for a while and you'll be amazed now many modules you sell, they fail with alarming regularity. In today's market there are just too many better alternatives, even GM abandoned it in 1987 and got the coil out of the cap. Yeah I know, many people have run them for years Blah Blah Blah, that doesn't amke them the best alternative.
    I run these in both of my current small block Fords as well as the 383 Chevy in my COE.
    [​IMG]

13. If you're not a brand-snob, this is the most trouble free ignition I've ever used.
    One wire hookup (two if you have a tach).
    If it ever does go bad, the module is cheap and plentiful, unlike some aftermarket ignitions.

You have to change to HEI wires and a 14" breather.

14. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

+2 I have a Proform in mine with all Petronix guts. I've got less than $100 in the entire setup and I never have to think about it. Hardcore adjustable advance curves, and a really hot spark.

The whole HEI's are ugly arguement goes out the window seeing as we are talking about a SBF. I love em to death, but they are butt ugly no matter what dizzy is in it! :D

15. I run a billet Accel dizzy in my 302. Stock looking cap, so not massive/ugly like a HEI.....although I can't find it anymore on Summit, so might be discontinued. Only bought it about 4 years ago.

16. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I hate the look of the GM HEI no way am I using that. I have considered the pertronix converstion. Do I need to change the coil for that?????

The car has been sputtering lately, I know it needs points and a condenser, but this set has lasted the longest at 2 or 3 years prior I was getting a year out of the mallory brand crap. I'm getting tired of going through this thing. I haven't had this much trouble with my other points cars.

17. If you're not going to be buzzing her up past 5500, then a rebuilt stocker with quick advance springs would be the cats-ass.