Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods "Trick-est" Grille You Ever Saw OR Did on a Custom or Rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 29, 2009.

1. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Did you read the sign on the door before you came in?

2. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Why isn't there a vomiting smiley???

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

4. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sooooooooooo~! I made two guys PUKE!!!

Tell me what's WRONG with that car??? I must stepped on my dick on the way through the door here!

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

If you are referring to the purple specimen, The main things on my short list would be the "big hoops" for one, the contemporary exaggerated styling, the flush mount glass, and sorry, but the billet grille too.

6. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

I take it THIS type of custom has gone too far afield from tradtional concepts. (18" wheels, etc.) ?

Is it a KIT, or something? Stay with me. SAVE ME if I've gone astray. I guess I'm asking for skoolin' !

Just bring me up to date.

7. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Haha...What isn't wrong with THAT car??

8. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

The big wheels, the odd proportions, the very odd 2 tone purple paint, as mentioned the glass, the interior, most likely there is something not so HAMB friendly goin' on under the "Bonnet" too. And the grill, oh and the interior..and much more. It's a typical "Gold Chainer" type of deal...

It's neither classy, nor elegant...Or even close to cool... Could it be saved? eh... I think not, it would take more money than they all ready wasted on it to make it suite they're tastes...

The main reason it doesn't jive on the HAMB is it's not "Traditional" it's not like the Mercs, Fleetlines, and Shoe Boxes of the day that us HAMBers so often fantasize about... It's 100% off... The one thing it's got goin' for it is some one some where likes it....Maybe

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Finally! I got it, Silent Orchestra -- and THANKS. It looked good at first glance ... now that you've explained the gold-chain concept (didn't know what that meant before, either!). It makes sense. Anybod with mega-bucks can pay smebody (Geo, barris, et.al., I take it) to make a car to suit their wishes -- then, driveit to shows in front of guys who did THEIR work THEMSELVES.

Okay, I'm down with that.

But I still don't know where the term RatRod came from, or what it means. Mind you, I have been out of this 15 years or better rasiing kids.

10. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Seems I may have waded in between two different schools of thought on the so-called purple specimen. Lemme OUT of this. I sure wasn't trying to start the Civil War all over again.

First, I say I like the car & make a joke about it remembling a Tucker. Guys, I didn't spit on the presdient. I just stated an opinion.

Seems to me words have been flying so fast, I can't make sense out of it all. Let's drop it, or take it up tomorrow. Thanks & PEACE!!! (fer Chis' sake!)

11. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

The whole Rat Rod deal is another story... But that's a whole new thread...

Unless someone posts a re-bar spider web grille....

12. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

OK, "rebar spyder-web grille." NOW, I have more of a concept of the off the wall, not trad things people seem to be reacting so strongly about.

All I asked was an explanation of the term. NOW that I have a glimmer, I won't bring THAT up again! Whew.

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

You seem like an o.k. guy after all jimi, just a little confused.:)

14. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

15yrs out of the loop could possibly do that to a brotha...:D

15. Would to be this 55 Pontiac Cole did a while back or Kutty's 54

Attached Files:

• z.jpg
      z.jpg
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
    • zz.jpg
      zz.jpg
      File size:
      140.1 KB
      Views:
  16. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Correct you are Land...the "people" on this board don't quite get the pink and blue graphics...wait, read that: accept...even tho that era was before most of them even knew what potty training was...and they are going to let everyone know they do not approve of 'history'...be it trad (for the day) or not...

I also own one very radical chopped '57 Chevy Bel Air...but would I put a pic of it on here...??? No, cuz it's got 'pastel paint' (in a world filled with flat black)...and scallops...and a tweed interior...and a SBC crate engine...and a four speed...AND even tho it was built in Milwaukee, WI in 1964-'65...and is a genuine 'survivor'...it's not HAMB friendly...

Be that as it may...I build MY cars the way I like them...I DO NOT follow a crowd of flat black...or 'patina"... or square-bodied five windows...OR bias ply tires...I build them for myself, to enjoy in my own way...besides, I'm way too old to change now...

R-

17. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Hey Jimi, the pic you posted is fine, remember that pic was from the 80,s back then it looked pretty cool. And if you think that it looked good more power to you. As far as LANDSEAANDAIR, He is basicly a gate keeper.... He busted my balls over a 46 CHEVY (before cut off date 1970) that I am buildind and not more than 4 hours later somone posted a MG SPRITE, and nothing was said. Some guys on here have nothing better to than to do, than wait for guys like you to post somthing they dont like. Hey LANDSEAANDAIR, why dont you go through the post in the last 4 weeks and clean it up from things that are not TRAD. Or better yet post your build you TURD! Jimmi there are alot of other sites tha would more than welcome you. Send me a P.M. and I will tell you.

CURT

18. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Hey, I gotta sleep sometime. I even do a little work every now and then. Besides, I wasn't the only one that thought your build didn't quite fit here. By the way, you've been on here a lot longer than me, but you don't really seem have a good feel for the place. Also, I might smell a little, but calling me a Turd, especially in capital letters is kind of harsh. Don't worry, Ill have some pictures of my H.A.M.B. friendly build on here within a month or so, as soon as I get the body in one piece.

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Well, I think everybody realizes my opinions were juts that, nad I sure a the dickens wasn't out to start a cat fight, guys. I'm not quite sure how it got to this, but I was surfing several HAMB themes, and I may have mentioned the stupid "ratrod" term in the wrong context. (If the LATTER is what happened, I apologize, though I still don't fuly understand what it means. Sheesh, I give up on that, anyway. LOL)

It's a GOOD groups, and YES guys are passionate about their fave models & "motifs." Sometmes it's just better to agree to disagree -- sort of like one of those fights among family mamber & you look for a DOOR to go out 'til everybody comes back down.

God bless. Tomorrow is another day, guys! c-ya.

20. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Please post...... I just cant get the smell out of the air until you do so... Untile then build instead of complain! WOW I got grap on my shoe. POST.....POST.... please post....

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Getting back on track here, guys: '50 Hudson grille by StudHud, Auburn, CA.
    AWESOME OR WHAT!
    [​IMG]

22. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

For a stock '52 Buick grill with some added bullets, this is one of thecoolest! By the way I am selling my '52 Buick see it in on the hamb classifieds or craigs list.:D

Attached Files:

23. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

My pickup

Attached Files:

24. looks ok but you've lost 90% of your cooling

EDIT, I guess I should read more and post less!! so I'll go with the 50% lol

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  25. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

And it looks like you didn't bother to read the whole thread...!!!

I'm not just a pretty face at this car building stuff...READ the whole thread BEFORE you make ill informed comments...

R-

26. Hammer00

Hammer00
    from Chi Town

I have a big block race car that has no grille opening. You should be fine. Plenty of air will draw from under the bumper if necessary.

27. Whoa I said it looked good the second part about cooling was just a question.

28. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Here's a grill treatment Ive always liked. Making a stock 54 ford grill into a floating custom. Its simple, but changes the look so much.:cool:

**How or what do they use to connect the grill surround trim all the way around the grill cavity?? Anyone know?

The green one is done by Chip Foose on Overhaulin'
    The white one done by Gary Howard

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sweet Fords!!!

Though I love my mid-'50s DeSotos, I always wished there'd been a true DOWN-sized offering, not just the beasts based on Chrysler chassis. (Yeah, I know the Australian DeS was smaller, bu it was more like a re-badged Plymouth.)

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, jimi'shemi, did your thread go OT or what?...LOL. I agree with you about StudHud's grille...really nice...so smooth, simple, easy on the eyes. That style is probably my favorite...a nice smooth grille surround with a simple center-bar and a nice fat bumper. Some guys used to use another bumper for a big center-bar. On the other hand, I also like the vertical multi-toothed look of a Buick grille such as Sanford&Son posted. I used to own a 1951 Buick Roadmaster 2D hardtop...beautiful grille. The bumper adds a lot too. That Buick bumper for '51 and '52 that dips in the middle is awesome...makes for quite a mouth...big lips! Hahahahaha! And don't forget some Buick teardrop or Olds peaked headlight bezels too! And if you really want to get wild, add some Cad Dagmars like on NONAME's car, and some expanded sheet-metal with a crap-load of chrome drawer-pulls...think early custom show-car. Rick