Register now to get rid of these ads!

lost art current pics (warning! get out your tissue boxes 'cuz it's sad)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chip, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Amazing how many people read half a post and think it's on the way to the crusher... I didn't say it was on the way to be recycled, I said that if it WAS on the way to the recycler that would be more sad than it existing as it does now. Not by much, but a little.

2. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

Great buy,to bad u cant get to workin on it sooner

3. chip

chip

Yes it was on the cover of r&c in '95 rob fortier did the write up on it, a d it only had 6 carbs on a Howard intake, not 8 , rumor has it that it was burned for the insurance money, but the owners at the time it burned are both dead now. I am not sure how I am going to build it yet, yes it was beautiful, yes it was famous, but not sooooo famous that you can't change that paint and interior around, but I guess they don't make cars with a pedigree every day so his is my delema.....the original metal work is rough,in some places bondo is 3/4 to 1 inch thick the whole car was covered and carved/shaped in bondo as was done with lots of over the top beautiful show cars

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Harold Murphy saved a burnt to a crisp "toasted" El Matador. That can be saved too.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009
  5. I always wondered if a burned car could be rebuilt? What about just roughing the body in, shooting it in primer and running it with no top for awhile? It be cool just to see it rise from the dead even if it wasn't what it used to be. Run it cheap until the funds/time are available.

6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

its not the same car.
    the trim holes dont match, the headlights arent frenched....the roof is all hacked to crap.....

7. retromotors

retromotors

Damn ...... !!!

Is there some sort of H.A.M.B. award for "most incoherent thread opening"?

If so, I have a nomination!

8. chip

chip

I agree it could be thrown together and ran, but we already have the wife's 51 chev fleetline. ( the one that's purple with green flames) and my 70's jet boat so I have finnished toYs and I have a'54 chevy in my shop we are chopping the top and making a full custom for a good friend and basicly family in Hawaii that car takes first priority so I am in nobig hurry

9. chip

chip

You should take a better look, it is the same car, the headlights were frenched, the roof got burned off, the trim holes do Mach as I have a lot of the trim still, maybe you should know what you are talking about before you open your mouth!! I do know what I am talking about

10. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i'll have to accept your invitation to look closer,....i am using a small laptop monitor in a fleet car right now. its possible that i was mistaken....but to me it doesnt look like any of the trim holes match up on the rear quarter.

didnt mean to get you all wound up there, bud. hope you can make it look like LOST ART used to.

11. chip

chip

That's ok I get my panties in a bunch easily........but trust me it is the same car I am not stupid,and this is not my first time at the dance....I have reasearched before I made statements about the car...chip

12. ragtop35

ragtop35

Original car was a buick and was built by Joe Moreno in Wrightwood Calif. Car was burned in the trailer after Joe sold it. Lost Art is Joe's licence plate and he runs it on all his cars or used to.

13. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Definitaly Joes style. He has had some of the coolest cars and a nice guy. You can learn alot from him when he talks customs.

14. tdoty

tdoty

You wear panties? :eek:

Anyway, I hope you can save it. The car has some pretty cool lines!

Tim D.

15. flynstone

flynstone

yes bring it back

16. chip

chip

Ofcourse I wear panties.....all real traditional hot rodders do!!!! The question is why don't you? Better go get some and wear 'em proud, but it is an unwritten rule that the first year you have to wear them on the outside of your power cuffed jeans and may I suggest a thong so you can get past that silly trying to adjust from riding up right from the get go....... Lol. Chip

17. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

I saw the headlights also, then just assumed that as with alot of cars like that, the trim rings were probably just bondoed over. The filler has probably just been burned out.

Jeff

18. well it could have ended up @ the crushers but didnt. good on yer for saving it. once its done, yourll have a cool story to go with the car.

19. Not knocking the car, but it was full of bondo. Bill Reasner did a lot of those cars around that time. I personaly know of one car that had 12 cases, yes cases, not gallons of bondo in it. I liked the paint, but not the interior. I'd just bondo it back up like it was, and paint it back pink. I'd do a white tuck and roll interior. Oh, the top was fiberglass, then covered to look like a fabric top. Dean

20. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

wow thats horrible

21. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW, I needed a hanky. Good luck with the restoration, she is worth saving.
    Have to be one of the koolest kustoms ever... Ya gotta love those lines.

Happy Trails,

Mick

22. missysdad1

missysdad1

Boy, I gotta tell ya', I might have burned it for the money, too. (Just kidding!) The workmanship on that thing was terrible! Hopefully the hatchetwork will be corrected as the car is restored.

In fact, it looks like correcting the flaws of the original build will be much harder than repairing the fire damage. Good luck! :)

[​IMG]

23. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

It looks more like an original fifties cusom car now than when finished. The work was horrid, but for the right price I would have bought it. What ever you do will be an improvement over how it now stands, so good luck.

24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

It's like Elvis, let it R.I.P. I love cars, but it ain't the same. :(

25. carlitos

carlitos
    from Oakland

Im kinda late on this thread, if the car is "lost art" it was built buy Dick Dean and never finished, he sold it and never got any credit for his work. As far as Bondo goes its a custom not a restoration. I worked for Sahagon and non of the Famous kustom owners you see in all the mags would waste their money metal finishing a car they might own for 1 year. Its art get it done and move on. bondo dont hurt nothin, lead is CRAP! How many people can pay Cole Foster to build them a custom car, he is one of the best but that kind of finishing takes time, and time is money. Can some one post pics of the car in all its glory?

26. abone1930

abone1930

Awesome car, would love to have something of that caliber. Build it :D Doesnt look bad to me, I usally end up with the stuff nobody else want because of to much work. :D Always liked that car remember seeing it in magazines.