Register now to get rid of these ads!

Packard custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfee, Aug 29, 2009.

1. tfee

tfee

My new toy: 1930 733 Packard sedan. Although my plans for this car are mostly restoration, I plan on making a few changes to the body. I wouldn't chop up a stock Packard but this one I don't have any problem with, the body has already been hacked up. It started life as a 7 passenger sedan but it must have been in a bad rear ender as it's now missing the rear windows and it's been shortened about 2 feet. I'm going to stretch the rear out again and turn it in to a club sedan, I am also going to lower the roof about 2" and lower the car another 2" closer to the ground using the stock suspension. See some before and after shots below:

Before:
    [​IMG]

and After:

[​IMG]

Interior is shot so new lower seats will be in order

[​IMG]

Straight 8 engine stays

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the old repair work that needs to be redone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See you on the road in a few years.....

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Should be cool! When its done take to a Packard show and give them all something to bitch about, tell them you cut up a mint survivor :D

3. cafekid

cafekid

i really like the grille shell would look bitchin scaled down on my 27 t

4. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I was about to get a little snippy, but after reading your whole post, I think you've got a pretty good game plan and other than the rear fender being a little funky, The subtle changes make for a really sinister looking sedan.

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

6. tfee

tfee

Yeah, something is not right with that rear fender. It looks OK on the opposite side so either the fender has been fixed incorrectly or the rear axle is mounted a bit off. I will fix it back to stock.

7. greasy50chevy

greasy50chevy

8. Cool Car! Here's a few shots of one my buddy is working on, little different but give you an idea what the engine will look like. ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. retromotors

retromotors

You'll definitely need to tote a few violin cases with you!:eek:

10. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Wow!! That is pretty bad ass...

I'd give it a nice slathering of Black, or a very deep red... And a very "upscale" interior (rich leathers, exotic woods), I'd play with the intake and exhaust a bit too. Oh you've got to have fold down trays in the back of the front seats, and those little flower vases too. And a driver named Chancy, or Clarence, he's got to have an english accent. Ok maybe that's taking it to far...

It's got kind of Cruela Devil look to it...

11. tfee

tfee

I like the way you think Silent, it is going to be black for sure and I was thinking leather and exotic woods. I think the driver will need a name like Ivin though as you have to be a f'in bear to steer this thing!

This is a Minerva but I am using it as inspiration:
    [​IMG]

12. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Super cool project! Be sure to update us....please!!

13. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

Hmmm, I didn't think of trunk like the Minerva has... That might be cool, after all you need something to haul around Grey Poupon and Caviar...Maybe a fancy hat or 2 too..

Haha, Ivin might be better... A big monsterous German driver named Ivin, who could really use the 2 inches you took out of the top for head room... I dig it.

14. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Ohmigod, a Packard! I'm going to own one of those before I die - which better not be too soon as it will spoil my plan!

I love this body style and think that it screams class and road warrior. Packards are meant to be out there on the highways supervising all the lesser beings. One of America's best interpretations of an automobile.

15. tfee

tfee

McTim, your buddies Packard is a lot closer to being on the road than mine, maybe I'll see him in a few years? That car is nice!

16. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

That grill shell is a work of art in itself. I like your plans too, much the same as I would desire. :cool:

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Looks like the rearend is to far back but you could address that while making your modifications , you have a really great plan that would really do it justice keep us posted as the progress is made .

18. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Gee, I like the Minerva with the trunk mounted in back of the body. Your car has the same lines now, albeit it's missing the trunk. Way cool. Add a trunk a pile of spare tires, and you're done!

19. tfee

tfee

Any of you photoshoppers think you could add a trunk and white wall tires?

20. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

Great looking "little" car:D

21. He did another one (V12 Victoria) for a man by the name of Marvin Zukor it was originally owned by Cesar Ramero. Here's a little video of it at Pebble Beach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhGP8WclZsg&feature=channel_page

22. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Hey, how about a driver named Martyn??? :D We got one of those!

I definately would look for an old Eddie Meyer dual carb intake for it. Ask the Highlander, he seems to be able to find them lately.

23. We had a 726 sedan for years- fun car to drive!

Best of luck with the build- can't wait to see how it turns out.

24. tfee ,That car is going to look somekind of wicked when finished , and it looks like what you started with is pretty solid . Packards are such a classy car and the chop should give the purists something to scratch their heads about. Rob

25. Tfee: Here's a quickee P-Shop per your request....Good luck with your new project! -W.S.

[​IMG]

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

Did that car come from Paul P. in South Lyons ?

27. Wicked50

Wicked50

Cool project keep us posted

28. striper

striper

Lose the whitewalls. Keep it all black and keep a single theme in mind.......SINISTER.

29. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Very cool. I kinda like the shortened look too. Nice project!

30. tfee

tfee

Thanks W.S., I'm not sure if I like the white walls but you did a great job sticking them in there. I've been pulling the engine apart this week and it needs a total rebuild, the cylinders have .012 taper in them over three inches and the cam is worn at least .005 per side. The valves are heavily pitted and the seats are non-existent. The only good parts so far have been the rockers (almost no play), the tappets need to be reground top and bottom. Haven't gotten to the crank yet but I bet it needs to be reground as well.