Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Geo metro master cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tuf36, Aug 28, 2009.

1. tuf36

tuf36

:rolleyes: HI anyone got an opinion on using a GEO Metro Master Cylinder on a street rod(48 Chevy w/250 6 cyl)

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hookers like street rod.

3. Soviet

Soviet

Ya, I've got an opinion. Wanna hear it?

4. i think it will be just fine...if you have Geo Metro brakes on your `48 chevy

5. 69fury

69fury

the metro MC has been done on falcons before. I'd do some serious google searching to find the threads, As long as the bore and stroke are sufficient to work the brakes, it doesn't matter what it came from.

6. 52style

52style

why not just throw an anchor out of your window when you need to stop ??

7. budd

budd

why not a regular old chevy master?, non power.

8. Jimv

Jimv

Why the smart ass answers? guy is asking a legit question!! Maybe hes starting out & needs some help.
    JimV

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Actually it is a pretty good way to go if you have firewall clearance issues,Read this,check out the pics and then make judgements,not everyone has a fat wallet but we love our cars just as much.www.fordfalcon2000.com/restoration/powerbrakes.htm

10. hotrod51

hotrod51

I used one with power booster on a car that weighed 3200 pounds. It was ok but not great. Had disc on front 11 inch drums on rear.

11. RichG

RichG

I dunno, my mom bought a brand new Metro in '88, damn thing disintergrated at 100,000 miles like it was part of a checklist. I wouldn't use any part off those damn pieces of shit on my car, but that's just my opinion.

12. Metro wheel cylinders are pretty small,as well as the calipers. Im partial to 68 mustang mc's.

13. tuf36

tuf36

While researching what master cylinders to use I ran across 2 articles where Troy Trepanier has used this combination on a 39 Chevy called the Predator and also on a 61 Chevy w/ a big block, This is why I thought about using this master cylinder. Like i said, with the Clifford Research Manifold and a 4 BBL carb I'm tight on space for a large master cylinder and Booster

14. Then go for it hoss.

15. tuf36

tuf36

Thanks JeffB2, Great article on using this combination. I've been into street rods for over 40 years and this car has TCI front suspension W/Disc brakes and Drums on the Rear on a Chassis engineering setup I have also installed a 50 Ford dash which I had to cut into 7 sections. I am using a 72 Camaro 250ci 6 cylinder with 4 bbl and Langdon Headers, so its different.

16. budd

budd

17. roddinron

roddinron

Do some research and be sure the bore and stroke will be sufficient, if so, go for it. Does seem like it would be a marginal choice though.
    The smart ass remarks were because you called your car a street rod, something ALL us older guys did a few years ago, but now, at least here, you gotta say hot rod. Sure gets complicated sometimes.
    Sorta like how dwarfs are now called "little people" they haven't changed, only the name, it's all so hard to keep up with, but if you wanna be "in" ya gotta keep up with this shit!:rolleyes:

18. tuf36

tuf36

current pic of the dash and engine/firewall. maybe manual brakes are the way to go

19. budd

budd

i guess your going to swing the pedals so maybe you can find a set out of a pickup with the correct ratio. i drove a company pickup with the manual setup for years, had that truck loaded all it could carry many times and the brakes always seemed to work great.

20. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Are you going to mount it on the firewall or under the floor? If it is under the floor, being the lowest point in your system you should use residual valves so it will hold pressure and give you a stiff pedal...no bleed back.
    On my 47 Dodge I use 2 lbs on the front and 10 lbs on the rear.
    I don't have a power system so its just a suggestion. Good luck.:)

21. roddinron

roddinron

Just be sure you use the right pedal or the ratio difference will kill ya. Power is nice but I don't think it's necessary on most cars. There's nothing wrong with manual brakes, they work great if they're set up right, and if they're on the firewall, they look better.