Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are the HAMB drags going down hill?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K-is-for-kustom, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Hankcash...your a man of words. Wordup!!!

2. monsterflake

monsterflake

don't forget, the 200 pre-registered cars refer to those racing. i'm not sure how we're gonna handle spectators, 'show' cars, etc...Ryan, are you planning on limiting the total car count?

3. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Guys, you've gotta have controls. Even in our HAMB world. Is it the popular thing to do? Not for everyone. Someones alwasy gonna complain. Which is good. Great ideas come out of a debate. But the man's gotta put in a control some where and some how. If he doesn't whats to keep the ricers and modern 'stangs out of the field? So do we accept it and go on? It's you choice.Participate or don't.
    For myself. Ryan knows what he's gotta do, and my votes on his side of the fence.

4. SlickRick

SlickRick

Well, This was the second year for me. And I must say I was blown away by how much it has grown since last year. Partly because of word of mouth, but by and large print media. when we came last year I decided I needed to participate, now fast forward a year and we put together a car with parts we had laying around for the most part, and to be honest I don't think K-Kustom would have approved of my attempt at a period correct car. My 50 Chevy Gasser was built in the grand tradition of Hot Rodding and we built it to have fun and be part of an awesome event. We had an bitch'n time and we will be back next year with something else.

5. My conclusion on this thread is that being a car show host/promoter sucks. After all the hassles with permits, insurance, funding, scheduling, vendors, etc. then you have to deal all the pissy people about why they didn't like the show. I've seen other responses to other car shows with the same type of gripes and I don't know how you guys do it.

Props to Ryan though for listening and taking the high road. That's hard for a lot of people to do.

6. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

I flew off the handle a bit there. sorry guys, I'll admit when I'm wrong. I'm glad to see everybody feels so strongly about this stuff though, thats good. /I just spend way too much time with my nose in the little pages I guess. Every time I do something to on of my cars I try to justify in by checking the little books to see if it's ok. Is that weird? (the little pages say the radials on my shoebox have to go though)

7. williebill

williebill

I'm just sorry as hell I wasn't there.
    So we see a car that we personally don't like..so fucking what..I walk past cars that don't interest me at every show I attend..and then promptly forget them..
    Based on the pics and vids I've seen,I doubt seriously I'd be bitching about a couple of cars that didn't meet my personal high standards.
    Think about it..the fact that the HAMB drags exist is just cool as hell..
    Thank you,Ryan

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

With this group, it's not that bad man. Seriously, I was freaking out at the track... I thought I was screwed. How could I do this? How can I manage this mess?

I didn't have to. The group made it happen. Everyone had fun because they wouldn't accept anything less. It was glorious and I owe em all...

Gripes are fine. I listen to them. Crit is even better. I take notes.

In the end, it's not all that important. It's just a little drag race in Missouri... But damn... I sure do love that little drag race.

9. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Me too ...
    Could not make the long trip this year but plan on being there in 2010. Went year before last :)

I believe that pre registering is the WAY to go.

It eliminates a lot of the problems at the gate.
    It eliminates some vehicles that do not really deserve to be on the track.
    It puts some money ... in the kitty ... before the event ( always a GREAT thing )
    If the numbers are high enough on registration ... some of the slower street only type want to race cars could be eliminated. ;)

I do not want to race ... I have to get my car back across the Mississippi to the Carolinas ... but I do like to watch the older style quick cars run :D

For me ... the Friday action in the Motel parking lot is the BEST part of the HAMB drags.

10. 59ratgasser

59ratgasser
    from BFE,kansas

When can I get pre registered with our 59 savoy gasser ?? I am ready for next year already and the car should get the wheels up at will.

11. Rodshop

Rodshop

I have been to all of them, except the first one. Yeah, some cars that did not fit, but mostly there were many great cars and a real good time. For the first hour or so, I was a little worried about how this would turn out with so many "purpose built" cars, but you managed it well and overall we had a blast. The hotel change was a great improvement. I am confident that you will make the adjustments Ryan.
    You have a way of managing the culture of this site without being heavy handed and I am sure you will find a way to do the same with the event. Always grateful for your style in how you handle things.
    By the way- great event shirts!
    Rodshop

12. I think what's trying to be said from the promoter side is if we don't fine tune this event that we will run the wheels off of it and the entire H.A.M.B. Drags event will fall victim of the out of control circumstances and we all lose !!! Be glad that Ryan has the vision to look forward into the Jalopy Journal Crystal Ball and see the results of a shit storm before it happens !!! JMO !!! >>>>.

13. Gorehound

Gorehound
    from Delaware

K-Kustom...you made a point. Ryan took it into consideration, you got some ribbing from the hamb family and didn't get salty. Kudos!! BUT...you riled up the HAMB Good Will Ambassador Denise and she pulls more weight here than anybody. So NO cookies for you!

14. solid

solid

how long ago were period correct cars not cool? What period? How correct? It had to be a long time ago if you were the only guy into it. You cant be that old!!! Let the pros handle the hamb drags... It's under control. This guy cant be for fucking real...

15. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

I baked my own cookies, but I burned 'em. Hey, at least I shared 'em with everybody!:D

16. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

But I like some of the slower street only type cars. The smile on the old mans face when he got to race Bobk this year made the whole trip. I could have left my 55 at home and been happy watching two happy old guys run a couple of slow passes.

17. #### Now wait just a darn minute here !! The sign says MO-KAN and the way I see it is the Spec side lane must be in Kansas and the Pit side lane is in Missouri !!! >>>>.

18. 48chevy

48chevy
    from TEXAS

I will have been drag racing for 43 years this September. I've never seen anything like the HAMB Drags.

Ryan you are one understated, subtle, and incredibly talented young man. Even as an old man, I've learned a lot by watching you handle people.

19. Abomb

Abomb

K is for Kustom, if you can build a car to go forward as fast as you can backpeddle on your comments, you should do alright at the drags.......

There's a bitch post on almost every single event covered on the HAMB, sometimes a guy's got to learn to look at the stuff he likes, and ignore the stuff he doesn't.......It's really not that hard, and if you let every little thing upset you at the age of 24, you're in for a long unhappy life.

20. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

so what you're saying is that you like non-period correct cars in the pits? I just talked to Ryan about everything a little while ago. it was an A-B conversation, you should C your way out of it. You judge me for judging cars that don't fit the criteria of the show they are attending. I be you are having as great a life being a hypocrite as I am being a judgmental prick!

21. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

replace the worl 'cool' with the word 'trendy' now do you understand?. That'll be $20 for the picture I drew for you.

22. solid

solid

you can replace whatever you want. You said cool. Period correct cars have always been cool. You didnt even come close to being one of the first guys into it. It shows how big of a ass hat your are for thinking it. whats a worl anyway???

23. COS

COS
    from KCMO

LOL Man this one hit home!!!! LOL

AMEN!! Ryan your not selfish you a Genius or one damn lucky mofo!! The setting of this years Drags was great (my first year). It was kind of dream like!!! I know that may seem cheesy but the quality was so so there. Yes there may have been a few lost ones out there but 99% of it was spot on bad ass shit and they made me over look or at least get a chuckle out of that 1% that was there.. Hell maybe some thought my car shouldn't have been there and it may not make it in next year with the pre-reg but I would be more than happy to still drive the 48 down and park on the spectator side just to see a more pure show!! If I do make the pre-reg I will run the piss out of it... either way it would be a win win deal for me!! It is the HAMB drags and the HAMB is in GREAT hands!!! Can't wait for 2010!!

-COS

24. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I said this on another thread, but I'll put it here too. I brought my dad, who is 70 (I'm 1/2 his age) and it was the first time for both of us. We had a great time, in fact, my dad is still grinning. He pretty much lost interest in drag racing when the hot rods were pushed out by the manufacturers, and he said this was the coolest racing he'd seen since the early 60s.

Sure there were a few cars that did not completely fit, but for the most part, the cars were cool and pre-reg will easily weed out the ones that slipped thru.

We're in as spectators again next year, whether we drive down in the '37 or a late model truck. Best car event I've been to in a long time, and best drag race I've ever been to (and I've been to a bunch).

25. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

U had a point, u made it, now go to sleep for shit sakes

26. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

kinda like a 'word' only without the 'd' on the end.:cool:

27. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Me too and that run with your pops and Bobk put a grin on my face too!!

Can I get another AMEN!!!

28. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

I've been into period correct years before it was cool, and will be long after it's not cool anymore. So hop in your rat rod, comb some grease in your hair and be gone. Heh Heh!
    Yrs? U make it soundlike ur old! I've got sperm old as u :p

29. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

I agree with k-is for kustom,. Or whatever his name is. I just came in from the shop. And was thinkin about this same thing.

If you post a pic of a car that dont fit , you get trashed for pages. If you spell school with a k , you get fuckin bashed for pages.

But for some reason people are kickin "k is for kustom" in the nuts for bitchin about the drags??????

The hamb drags is the best event in the country. The board is pure, the event should be too.

Quality control. Needs to be done!!!!

This is my favorite event. The only place my car fits in. And i have to pit next to the dude with the dirt track modified , ,,, turned into a drag car!!?????

And listen to that fuck bitch about how we dont know how to park!???

And he had a junior dragster on display????

This is the h.a.m.b. Drags. For fucks sake,,,,....

I am shure it is a hard thing to balance out. But if it dont fit in, it dont fit in. I like the photo pre regrestion thing.

Hunnert car pileup, kind of entry needs to be put into place. I said that two years ago. Ryan, i love what you got going. Dont let your dream get away from you.

I cant wait for changes. And if i dont fit in , i will just drink ice water and watch all the bad ass stuff from the stands.

30. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

Haha! Ice water! Ur a funny man Brian !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.