Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are the HAMB drags going down hill?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K-is-for-kustom, Aug 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monsterflake

monsterflake

that's what i'm saying, next year, the setup will allow for the best cars available...

2. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

you said it denise!!

3. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Don't pat me on the back, I still think your a dink for the way you stated your thoughts

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hate to dissapoint, but I totally learned it. I was born in 1976.

Nothing is a fight for me, cuz I'm into cars for myself.

Anyways, it is what it is and it ain't perfect... Prolly never will be... If folks dig it, cool. If not, they'll find something else to do. I'm fine with that.

You know what I dig? Hot rods.

5. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

That's cool man, after cuisin' low and slow for 200 miles in a 50's car, I wont feel much like racin' anyways, my car has to get me to that strip and back home again. I'll leave the breakin' parts to my tailer buddies.:cool:

6. squirrel

squirrel

I like your style

7. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

I can agree with you without "patting you on the pat"

8. juanski

juanski

radial cheap! how cheap?

9. RAY With

RAY With

Well, I didn't make it this year as planned but knowing many of the participants and seeing many great pictures of the event it was a great show and superb effort by the staff and management and I am looking forward to being able to participate next year with my ride and its very period correct. I thank all the HAMBERS that made this show possible and a special thanks to Ryan for all he has done with the event and web site.

10. falconmad

falconmad

VERY well said...

11. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

'76!!! Good thing your not into TransAms and disco. We're all thankful for that.

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

I once went to this fabric free entertainment center. There was one entertainer there that was missing an arm. Something just seemed odd and out of place but I still enjoyed myself.

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

The cars I has issue with should not have passed tech anyway.

Particularly that porcupine air cleanered rat rod.

Events evolve and good promoters learn and adjust. Change is the only constant. Kudos to Ryan for the new plan. It is EXACTLY what I was thinking on the way home.

14. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

Right on!

15. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

wasn't there, but would like to offer some caution...be careful about the rules and turning folks away. I doubt you want the reputation of being elite or arrogant. Always a challenge and I wish you the best in sorting this out.

16. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

i didnt go to the HAMB drags,....but to be fair Ive only been here since November. My only complaint (after seeing the pictures and video) is that it isnt in California. HA.

I think I am gonna have to take a year sabatical and travel to all the events once I finish project RPU.

17. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

Well put.

18. Toner283

Toner283

I agree with the pre reg up to a point.

Suppose a person was to drive past the drags or see all of the cars going through town & follow the cars to see what was going on, he/she thinks it looks like a cool place to be & goes in to look around, finds that it is a cool group of folks & joins our online community.

Now put the same person in a period correct ride and they get turned away at the gate because they are not pre-registered. IMO, the impression given is that we are a closed minded, elitist group who will not let a new kid play in our sandbox.

Another scenario, one of us cannot go due to family/work/$$ issues (not sure about most of you but the lack of $$ is hitting me pretty hard this year & I have had to cut down on my car stuff due to lack of funds), since we know we cannot go, we do not bother to waste Ryan's time/energy by pre-registering. Now suppose a day or two before the drags things clear up & we can go. We drive to the drags only to be told that we are not pre-registered & cannot come in?? (with a car) That would suck ass in a big way.

I fully agree with pre-registering cars but I disagree with ONLY pre-registered cars allowed in. That being said, I do believe that only cars that meet the criteria should be allowed in. Maybe post a sign at the gate that if you are not already registered, you need to be approved to be allowed in. Possible even provide preferred parking for O/T rides (muscle cars, street rods, etc). I would bet that most of us like at least one O/T ride, and in the very least can appreciate the work done to an O/T ride.

Not trying to start a fight, just stating my opinion & possibly playing devils advocate.

I'll shut up & go sit in the corner now.

19. K-is-for-kustom

K-is-for-kustom
    BANNED

I couldn't hit the track because I decided to bring my Chevy like a 'tard, I blew the intake gasket and was puking oil, so I figured that wasn't good for track conditions. Chevies will be Chevies, (by breaking constantly) I wrenched on it all weekend and my buddies '58 ford was the parts chaser for my parts muncher. I actually just got it put back together like 2 hours ago, that car is a pain man! I'll bring a ford next year for sure!

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The "elitist" thing doesn't really bother me. Now, listen really closely. Are you listening? That's the sound of busy bodies that don't know me. They are typing away...

"Man, that Ryan guy is a real arrogant asshole!"

Truth be told, I'm not... I don't think I am anyway.... But does a bad guy really consider himself a bad guy? Where am I going with this? Jesus, Ryan... get back on track.

Anyway, going pre-reg only isn't an elitist deal at all. It's just the best way to control car count and quality. I'm not in this for the money fellas. I'm in this for the fun factor... and smaller, more focused events are more enjoyable to me.

So there ya have it... I'm not arrogant, I'm selfish.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I do really appreciate it.

21. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Oh sure, make it look like your a nice guy,, we all know the truth. :D

22. "just say it! thats what I do"

yeah and look where that got you. you are BRILLIANT

23. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Your 2010 Pre-Reg

[​IMG]

24. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

And to think when I first read the title I immediately thought the question must be, "Is the track the HAMB drags happen to be at built on a declining slope?"

Because there is NO WAY someone could attend the event this year and think it was anything but awesome. We started towards Joplin with 5 cars, lost one right off the bat, had trouble with three others, and still enjoyed the weekend thoroughly.

I guess if a persons idea of enjoying the weekend is picking out what's wrong with the event, the attendees, the cars, whatever... Well, if that's your idea of a weekend, I feel for ya.

This was the best Drags yet but I do, personally, enjoy smaller events so I look forward to the changes next year.

25. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Is the magic number still 200 pre registered?

26. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

This is a great feedback thread....like it or not.

27. falconmad

falconmad

I have been to the drags the last 4 years. It is a great event. There isn't too many car related events that everyone checks there attitudes and egos at the gate and just has a good time, but this one they do and Ryan has made this all possible, that is unbeleivable. So what ever he decides to do will work. We have faith in him

28. rixrex

rixrex

Well, I went to the 2008 Mo-Kan Drag Races..the best old-time heads up drag racing event I've been to in a long time..Couldn't make it to this one, but the pics look like it was even better, I'm sure we'll get any problems ironed out..with time and money and actually focusing on one car I might be able to get the old 51 Chevy Gasser goin again, or get together with Henry in S.A. and bring the 55 Chevy "Purple Haze"...Did I do a decent job changing/mellowing the subject a little?...

29. hankcash

hankcash

What's wrong with going down hill? I mean... up hill is a lot of hard work. Some of my favorite things happen by going down hill. Drinking beer is great, but can you argue that it's not going in the down hill direction the more beers you consume? Actually, life itself is what I would consider a down hill direction is it not? I'm having a blast getting older as I go down hill.
    Ever notice that the more "down hill" a party goes as the night progresses the more fun you ultimatley have? Exactly!

You say down hill... I say go climb a ladder and JUMP OFF!

I (heart) ryan.

hc

30. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I think so...

I agree... I actually talked to quite a few of the original attendees at the event as well as a few days after before I made the decision to go pre-reg only. From my seat, it's really the only way to make this deal work.

Oddly, I'm kind of enjoying the challenge of it all. People say you can't put toothpaste back in the tube. I figure it's high time to test that theory! :)

I get way too much credit for this event. All I do is pop up a couple of tents, sell some t-shirts, and tell jokes on the walky-talky. The folks that attend create the environment... and yeah, I'm pretty proud of it.

I honestly think the HAMB Drags is the best drag race in the country.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.