Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lil John Buttera Timing Cover/Water Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mkn8632, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Gentlemen/Ladies:

First want to start of by saying great forum. I have been a long time reader but after a search this forum as well as on the internet, I have come up empty handed. With this being said, I have decided to come out of my "cave like state" of only reading and actually posting.

Before I get to my question I figured I would enlighten the HAMB followers about my self. My love for street rods started at an early age of 2. Granted I cant remember much at this age, but I do remember riding in the rumble seat my fathers 32' 5-window. To keep the story short my father and I over the past 15 or so years have built a total of 3 cars (69 Elcamnio, 57 Chevy pickup, and a 32 Ford Roadster) and have enjoyed them thoroughly. Now that I am out of college I have began collecting pieces for my own car in the near future.

A while back, at a swap meet I picked up a Lil John Buttera water pump. After a lot of hunting at other swap meets, as well as the internet have still come up empty handed on locating a timing cover for this setup. I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me locate on.

Can anyone help me?

2. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Item is hard to locate. I sold 2 of them last year on ebay. Several people I know have the set up on their car so I will see if I can locate a spare from one of them. You could also run another want ad on some of the internet places. John had several nice pieces in the late 80's. Mr. Gasket used to be the distributor for the parts. Try some local speed shops in your area.

3. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Thanks for your help. It would be a great help if you could ask some of your friends as well as take some pictures. So far I have seen two types of timing covers, one with the front motor mount in-cooperated into the cover and one with out the mounts. I have tired Mr. Gasket on a cooperate level but have had no luck.
    Thanks again!

4. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Which cover would you be looking - with or without motor mount?

5. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Open to either, but I would prefer the cover without the mounts. But since I dont have one i cant be too picky.

6. Those were cool parts from a really cool guy. Be ready for the Billet Police to try to flame you for using them. Just tell them to buzz off.

7. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

A very cool peice. They are hard to find nowdays, for me any ways. The pumps work bitchen and look good to.

8. Larry T

Larry T

9. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

I definitely agree, they are stunning to look it! I just need one now! lol

I decided to post some pictures for those who are not to familiar with the pump or timing cover.

Attached Files:

Bob Lowry likes this.
  10. Just for the record , I have rebuilt a couple of the water pumps for customers and was able to do it by using the shaft and impeller from a late model 250 six cylinder water pump.

11. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Paul,

thanks for the great info, I never would have guessed that would have worked.

12. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

I found a gentlemen with some more pictures so I figured I would share some of them.

Any one else know anything about these guys?

Attached Files:

13. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Out of Curiosity what else did lil john mass produced?

14. Larry T

Larry T

Turnkey custom "Softtails" and Harley stuff (custom Softail tail sections, etc).

15. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Any pictures?

16. Larry T

Larry T

I think there's one of the cover of Hot Rod Magazine (maybe another magazine), with the scooter sitting there and Lil John sweeping up aluminum shavings with a shop broom. As usual I could be all wrong.
    Larry T

Little bit here
    http://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9705&showall=1

Not a cover shot and not Buttera on the broom------Oh well.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  17. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Nice, I wonder what happen to all these bikes/cars what he did. I hope were ever they are people are enjoying them.

18. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

19. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Haha! I've got one of these setup's...bought it years ago at a swap meet at the Michigan State Fairgrounds in Detroit for $15!...still in the packaging!
    Do you guy's think if I welded up the "Lil John" logo, and blasted it to look more "cast", it would pass as "traditional"?...or would it be the same as putting a cucumber down the front of your pants?!

Attached Files:

20. Looking from here, it doesn't look that complex.

Shouldn't be too hard for a machinist to whittle one out....

21. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Mr Gasser.

Interested in selling it?

22. brandon

brandon

i sold 2 of those setups to hemi steve a few years back....definently a bitchin setup......wish i still had one :rolleyes:

23. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

is that HAWK or LIL John's stuff ?

24. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

It's 'Lil John stuff marketed by Rodware...

mkn8632...no thanks, not for sale, I'm going to use it on something...someday...no really, I am...

25. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

just don't use it in your pants, will hurt more than that cucumber.. no really:D...:eek::eek:

26. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

Some one on this board has got to know something!!!!

27. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

28. try a wanted add, i did and found what i was looking for within a few days. the hamb is a awesome place to lacate hard to find parts, they might be expensive, but you will find them.

29. mkn8632

mkn8632
    from Chicago IL

No luck yet! Anyone.... Anyone!!!

30. oj

oj

Looks to me like it'd work with about any cover. What you'd need are a couple water inlet spacers to set it out and align the pullies. The original setup looks like it is intended for short water pump anyway, chances are you have a long water pump and then you'd still need to machine spacers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.