Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody from Lebanon Mo remember the 55 Chevy Gasser "CAMERO"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigabone, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Bigabone

Bigabone

I just purchased a 55 Chevy from an old guy near Versailles Mo that bought this car near Lebanon years ago. From what I can tell it was originally green but had been painted gold. Does not have the original door so one quarter has the letters ERO the other has COM in what looks like 12 inch block letters. I could make out speed shop waynsville mo on the deck lid. This car was quite the piece back when it had severe engine set back the frame only extends past the firewall maybe 18 inches then has round tube crossmember set up for a transverse leaf and ford axle. The steering column I havent figured out yet has a well pipe roll bar and most of the front floor has been removed for engine and trans. The rear appears to be 55 chevy but has a quad shock set up with home made traction bars and the rear bumper is round pipe with rectangular tubing welded to it for what looks like adjustable old style wheelie bars. When I heard about this car I thought Id check it out and maybe use some parts on my 56. But I cant lie to myself I cant sell it I think its a sickness. If anybody has any history Id love to hear it.Thanks

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  2. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

photos would help

Attached Files:

3. Bigabone

Bigabone

I hope to have some tomorrow it was dark by the time I got there. I hope to pic it up tomorrow after my twins soccer practice. Thanks

4. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

I got some shotsin theparking lot for ya.

[​IMG]

5. LOWLIDX50

LOWLIDX50

6. Bigabone

Bigabone

Thanks Pat Maybe someone will recognize it.

7. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

8. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

I know $450 seems pretty damn cheap to me...

9. Yeah, that's what I was thinking too;)

10. Bigabone

Bigabone

I thought 450 was cheap too.

11. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, I think ya nailed it, daddyo.

Besides, the Camaro (along with the total inability of 75% of the American public to spell the word!) is a much more recent phenomena.:D

12. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Also The Comancheros was a John Wayne movie from 1961, Popular culture has named many race cars, How many Moody Blues, and
    Bad Company have you seen?

A great find By the way!!!

Hey A Bone,,, find out if anyone in the area is aware of the speed shop. You should be able to track the history easily.

13. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Except that the next (partial) letter showing after the 'M' in photo 2 is a vertical line and an 'A' would not have a vertical in that style lettering.

14. Bigabone

Bigabone

Well Ive tried checking on old speed shops in the waynesville area but have had no luck. As for the name ive tried to figure it out but have had no luck. The last letter does have a vertical line so it has to be either a E,R,P,D,F,H,K,L,B,N,M. But from looking at the way the M is painted the brush strokes dont match. The M has vertical and horizontal strokes where the semi missing letter doesnt. So im still tryin to figure it out. Oh buy the way I thought 450 was cheap but after talking to him and showing him pics of my 56 he took quite a bit less:D.

15. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I hate to play along... But "Comanchero" intsantly came to mind.

Somebody on here will have pictures I'm sure.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

16. m.k.bench

m.k.bench

I remember seeing the car back in the 60's. It was a resident of "Fritz Brothers" speed shop. Waynesville,Mo. Never saw it run though. I was to young to drive to the nearest track. Look up Roy or Wayne FRitz in telephone directory, give a call, see if my info is correct. I'm quite sure the name was Comanchero though. My dad whipped my ass the day i went to see this car, so i remember it well. Also Richard Teague of Waynesville, can tell you something about this car. Hope this helps.

17. Great find! Glad you picked it up cheap. Knowing the HAMB you will have its history in no time!

18. Bigabone

Bigabone

thanks for the info MK I will check it out in the morning. I have searched online and cant find a Roy or Wayne Fritz in Waynesville but I did find a Richard Teague. I will call in the morning.Thanks again to you and the HAMB.

19. Bigabone

Bigabone

I just found a picture of my car here on the HAMB from 1964 before someone crazy with the engine set back and ford axle. They were posted by Stude Sled I just dont know how to post it. It was called "Comanchero"[​IMG]

20. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Great photo!

21. Bigabone

Bigabone

I just wanted to thank MK again for the info on Comanchero.I spoke with Roy Fritts this morning and it is his old car he was amazed it was still around.First thing he says is "wanna sell it" and I said no of course. Funny thing is I kinda felt guilty that it wasnt for sale maybe its just me anyone else ever had that feeling?We spoke for a while and he told me all about it says he ran a 283 or 301 depending on which one wasnt blown up at the time lol.Also says he ran an enderlee injection with the supposed first crane roller sold in Mo 4 speed with a chevy rear and 5.38s. asked him what it ran and he said "I cant really remember hell Im 70 years old I forgot all kinds of things that was 40 years ago". Says he has lots of pics tells me to come down soon and we can drink some beer and look at all the pics he has even gave me his cell # in case hes not home. Oh and then he says he has his other 55 race car in the barn.

22. I'd be pretty bummed if one of my treasures was found by someone not as attached to it, and he didn't want to see me have it back. I hope, if something cool from MY past gets discovered, it's discoverer doesn't call me and rub my nose in it, and refuse me the chance to have it back.

23. 61TBird

61TBird

If I had the "extra" cash to buy your '32,I wouldn't "rub your nose in it"...
    I would give you a ride though :D:D:D