Register now to get rid of these ads!

Speedway red gas line

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RDAH, Aug 26, 2009.

1. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Put Speedways red see through gas line on my 27-T. I have 2 Holley 94's on a Flathead. They are plenty far away from any heat, but a friend of mine told me that he heard these lines are junk. I'd sure appreciate any experience anyone has had useing these gas lines.

2. zgears

zgears

as far as I'm concerned anything other than steel, is asking for trouble.

whats going to happen in a engine fire?

heres how I did mine.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Cirelli

Cirelli
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

I have them on my hemi & they seem just fine to me, however I only have about 3500 miles on it so far.

4. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

I had 'em on my coupe (390 Cadillac with 6 strombergs) and they worked fine for quite a while...They seem to soften up after about a year and the red fades out to kinda orange...I switched to black rubber fuel line on the carbs when I switched to black plug wires ( I had their clear red plug wire on there too...looked cool as hell, but crossfired without mercy with that Vertex magneto I'm runnin)...

5. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I have used it in the past......I replaced my lines on a regular basis...This fuel line tend to dry out and crack.....hence the good chance of a fire.......I was Drag racing w/ this stuff....it became a pain due to it's shrinkage, I am alway's removing the fuel lines to tune ..change jetting and such....I started going faster and faster and I swapped out all my red lines for stainless braided w/ AN fittings....It is much faster to break everything apart and is NHRA legal and much safer....But you can run the other on the street, but you need to maintain it..I see faded clear colored fuel line on cars all the time....they are on borrowed time before a failure...be safe, Littleman

Anyone with a hotrod should inspect them every once in awhile during the year......inspect your fuel lines as well......some do not tune....I murdered my red lines due to frequency of on and off, they could not handle it and would start to crack at the ends...............If it ain't fast...it's no HotRod...it's probably a StreetRod, Littleman

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  6. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

my "elcheep-o" Speedway red line is four years old...no troubles yet

7. Koz

Koz

I used the Speedway line on my last roadster. It dried out and cracked within about four months. I changed to the Moon red line with the braid in it and it was good until I sold the car and is still on.

In defense of Speedway, You just have to watch what you buy from them. Some stuff is excellent , some of the older catalog items are still crap. I just bought their early Ford brake kit and it is beautiful. MT stuff, all American made! Their delivery time is phenominal and customer service second to none.

8. RAY With

RAY With

My flatty has the red fuel lines now for a little over 4 years and still in good shape. There like any thing else you buy and require occasional service. I wanted the 50's look and that's one of the requirements of the time. However if they ever failed premature I would have no problem in going to another type.

9. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Used to run them on my pickup until I had an old fellow go out of his way to approach me and tell me about how he lost his car in a fire due to these things hardening over time and leaking. I changed them the next day. Think about it..
    how long does any plastic stay pliable????

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

If you like them red lines and want to keep the look, just bend up some hard lines and slip the app. size over your steel bent lines....use some ol timey fittings either end.
    .....those red lines are a fire hazard.

11. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

the braided red stuff is much more heavy duty

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

We've got a Weiand Drag Star 6x2 on a 292 Y-Block. Been running the red line for about 2 months and it's already turned Orange. I'm going to change it out for Black rubber or hard line it. It's getting really soft feeling too.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

i refuse to run rubber hose fuel line in the engine compartment..safety first

rubber burns in a fire..melts with heat..metal fuel lines donot
    why add fuel to the fire when you already have an under the hood issue?

in my book..its asking for trouble..another one of those just because you can..doesnt mean you should..to me its the easy way out, and it looks cheezy

build your fuel feed system where there is only rubber fuel line where there is vibration or movement..the rest of it should be plumbed hardline..those fuel blocks mounted on the fire wall and rubber tube to carbs is a recipe for disaster...put the fuel block on the engine..plumb those fuel lines hard to the carbs..run a hard feed line to the block and isolate the engine movement of fuel line down low on the frame somewhere completely away from heat or any possible spark..
    that way too if you ever do have a fire under the hood (or no hood)..you have time to deal with it..or time to GTF away from it

understand this is just my way of doing things, but i have this way because of seeing a few good rides burn to the ground because of quick fit fuel feed systems like this rubber hose deal..do what you want, its your car. but i dont wanna hear ya belly aching when your ride is a smoldering lump in the parking lot..JM2C

14. holyroller

holyroller
    from KTOL

What he said! Like others have stated, the speedway red line fades in time and looks like crap......go with the braided if you can.

15. skwurl

skwurl

I riun the braided red line. I change it every year. It fades out quick. It get kind of brittle. I'm not afraid to use it but I would keep it changed. It doesn't cost a lot.

16. skwurl

skwurl

Not a bad idea. Thanks man!

17. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

whats a hood?

18. I had it on a 3X2 on my Stude motor, it went Orange after a couple months, then it got hard. It actually broke into pieces as I tried to remove it.

I'll never use it again unless it's over a steel tube.

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

the area you live in:D

rubber burns..even is a combustiable, no matter how pretty or pliable it is 50 years later

steel..doesnt burn..or melt until 2800 or 2900 degrees...not combustiable

its your life..your choice, i just think rubber lines are the easy way out

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's a matter of preference I guess, some like the look, others like the ease of installation.

I only hope one takes the inherent hazard of pressurized fuel in soft lines after the pump into consideration. I know that some guys that aren't aware of that use the lines.

I prefer metal lines, would never do otherwise, with fuel under pressure. Even in a small incedental fire fuel pressure will immediately rupture soft lines and then you have a big, pressure fed, fire.

Attached Files:

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I wonder how many of the problems, especially fading, are due to the sun's ultra-violet rays. I've had no problems with Speedway's red line.

22. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Another thing.... just cause speedway sells them... does not mean they MAKE THEM.
    These red fuel lines have been around for ever. And many other companies sell this product too.

The bottom line is FIRE SAFETY.
    Don't get me wrong..... I love the look of the lines... I have seen them in blue,green and clear as well.
    I believe there are 2 sizes,... 3/8 and ?????........ aww...I can't remember.

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The biggest problem that I have found with this new stuff is that it turns a muddy orange. Mine has been on my sport coupe for over 12 years.

[​IMG]

1961 catalog

I was very leery of the new stuff (late 90s compared to early 60s) because I was around and used some of the vinyl stuff that was quickly outlawed in the early 60s. If the older gentleman lost his ride in the 60s then you can surely understand his concern. As soon as I picked it up I knew it was not the same stuff. The stuff that was outlawed in the 60s was very stiff, flexible but stiff. It wasn't until I saw this catalog that I realized that the bad stuff was vinyl. I can't speak for every supplier but the stuff that I have seen is very rubbery. Nothing like the early stuff. The early stuff got brittle and would crumble like a tree leaf that had dried out.

I just check mine that I put on in1997 (the first year that I saw the new stuff) and it still is rubbery...not as pretty but still rubbery and IMHO not a safety hazard.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to use the stuff but I do want to clear up the facts leaving the emotion out of it. If you find an NOS roll of the stuff from the 60s use it as decoration in your goodies cabinet.

Probably the best solution is to run 5/16 hard line, polish it and then slip 3/8" red hose over it. You get the look that will keep it's color and have no fears.

24. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

They have a great nostalgic look. I love em! As with anything on your car, check them occasionally and replace if necessary. It amazes me how many guys wont use these, but have no seatbelts and pigeon shit welds on their chassis.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

The same older guy must have got to me too!

When I was putting my Chev together I had every intention of running the red clear fuel line. Then I heard the story about the car fire and how such a simple thing could cause such major trouble so I switched to the red reinforced braided fuel line. I got it from the Hot Rod Company who gets it from Speedway. Unfortunately after about a month they turned peach (not sure if it was from the sun or the fuel). So Mike from the Hot Rod Company made it right and gave me another roll to try. It has held up pretty well over the past year and a half but I'm beginning to see it start to fade. So I guess it all depends on what batch, not necessarily the supplier.

I like the idea of slipping the hard line inside...

26. yblock292

yblock292

got them on my coupe 13,000 miles no problem except they fade.

27. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It turns color due to the fuel. I ran hard line from the fuel pump up to my fuel log and covered it with the same hose that I used without hard line from the fuel block to the carbs. Same roll... the hose not subjected to the fuel still looks new. No hood so both were subjected to the same amount of sunshine. The unprotected hose changed color. I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me wants it to stay looking new and part of me likes the patina that says it's not a garage queen.

28. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

This wasn't such a problem way back when. The new formulations of gasoline must be the culprit so I'll just change the lines regularly just like I do the red clear spark wires when they turn hard. BUT when I get down to the last 3 feet or so, it'll be time to hardline and cover for the last go around.

29. Silent_Orchestra

Silent_Orchestra
    BANNED
    from Omaha, NE

I'm a fan of hard line (in my mind it looks better), doesn't melt, burn, or discolor.... And it looks cool as hell when it's all polished and plumbed to a trick multi-carb set up.

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

It was a very real problem in the early 60s and it soon was outlawed at the track. Anybody from that era and not familiar with the new stuff would certainly be concerned. I was. You could not make sharp bends without it wanting to kink and shut off the supply. It didn't just fall out of popularity. When the fires started to appear it was removed from the shelves. You couldn't buy it even if you wanted it. It disappeared for over 30 years. The new stuff that I have seen is not the same.