Register now to get rid of these ads!

MII lower control arms

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldspert, Aug 25, 2009.

1. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Just received these from a major supplier. Ordered online from a well known rod magazine. What are your thoughts? Can these be sucessfully used or send them back?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. knotheads

knotheads

i would not run those even if it means loosing the purchase price.

3. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

That one looks pretty bad, especially the lower pivot bolt bungs. Can you even get the bolt through both of them without it binding up?

4. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Second that... something went wrong. They cant expect you to use that.

5. looks shady to me. im running original peices.

6. willymakeit

willymakeit

You paid for good parts.

7. chevyshack

chevyshack

I would send them back. Someone wasnt doing thier job in the inspection department. If im going to spend my hard earned money better be sending me some quality stuff.

8. Looks bent, these are new?

Talk to the vendor and ask them about the condition of these. I would love to see a comparison of other new arms to these.

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

name names afterward and whether successfully resolved or not

10. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Depending on the outcome.

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Either way, names should be named. If they take care of it, then we know they take care of issues like this, and if they don't... well then we know that too.

12. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

agreed... i want to know. someone who would ship that should be called out, and loudly

13. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I'll not name anyone until I know there are going to be problems with returning these and getting another set that are useable. If that happens, you can be damned sure I will yell, and loudly. I can get US Customs involved because there are no origin of manufacture stamps on either one or the box they came in.

14. first off thanks for taking the time posting the info about shit aftermarket parts! damm a jig made of leggo's would have made it squarer than than. looks deadly to me because by the time you get it squared enough to fit you have compromised what little remaining structural integrity was left. that needs to be posted on every hot rod board. can't wait for suppliers name.

15. So they are off shore Made?? If not they don't need a country of origin, only if they are made elsewhere, and if they are - GEE, No Surprise

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Those are in pretty bad shape. I would send them back.

Get on the horn with them and see whats the deal.

Let them know that you need a pair before they are run over by the forklift.

17. [​IMG]

Hmm, shock tubes are different but that doesn't mean much. The spring pocket stamping looks identical though.

How about some cliche's!

"You get what you pay for", or "the job you save may just be your own."

18. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

that is what I am saying. Probably from helix (hoffman group) if they are.

Did you paint them? They honestly look used.....with a coil over conversion that put all the load on spot that was designed to hold a shock.

tell me more

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My thoughts exactly. I'd rather run factory pieces that may be a bit ugly but won't show anyhow than trust welding like that.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

20. WelderSeries

WelderSeries
    Alliance Vendor

I'm not sure I would be too concerned about the main pivot bolt being square to the front tube... there's nothing really saying it has to be square. Are both sides the same? If you can't get a bolt through the coilover bungs, that's a problem though.

I don't know who made them either... looks like a pretty quick job.

21. DrJ

DrJ

Mustang II's never used a part that looked anything like that so why are any of the similar products out there called "M-II's" suspensions?
    It's just an aftermarket IFS part!
    Nothing Ford-design about it!

M-II's are designed to have the lower arm's fore/aft motion controlled by a straight strut rod that is rubber mounted at the frame in a way that absorbs road shock and fore/aft braking forces.
    It's similar in idea to the Packard pre-WWII IFS suspension arms.

And yea, that thing is mierda.
    Even the aftermarket 'bent" strut rods defeat that function.

22. I think it has to do with the history of MII based suspensions in our industry. The first kits used all Ford components (MII or Pinto). As time progressed companies started to design their own arms, building a better mousetrap as they say. The basic geometry stayed the same and they still used MII spindles so they are still MII derived. Now all the components are aftermarket manufactured but the basic design is still based on the original Ford design so as an easy way to describe the product line the MII name is still used.
    At least that's the way I see it.

23. Geez John, split some hairs while your at it.

24. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

The confirmation about tracking showed they received these back on the 4th. I'll keep everyone informed how the exchange goes.

25. Having previously observed how newbies are generally treated here, I stay in the background and don't say much… but I gotta tell ya, if you did indeed purchase these from Hoffman Group in Portland Oregon, you're in for a bad experience, brother!
    Had someone posted a complaint prior to this, then perhaps I would not be sitting out the car show season waiting on these idiots to simply send me two matching rotors!
    If I may, let me tell you about MY experience. Like many of you, I had seen the add in the national rod magazine and had seen their display at the shows. Now, these are BIG freakin' shows...certainly they don't just let ANYONE in there, right? Hell, it cost us a fortune just to enter! And I know what a car paint supplier pays for their space...so, you figure a big, inside display isnt cheap, so they HAVE to be ligit, right?
    Anyway, ordered the Mustang II front end at the show in Indianapolis on June 13 with the impression that it was just like another well known brand. and on June 24 it was delivered, hardly time to have it completed for the show in Columbus.
    I had several missing parts, no control arm bushings, missing bolts and TWO DIFFERENT ROTORS, which were the wrong size. One was drilled, one was solid. I ordered traditional Ford bolt pattern 5 on 5 and a quarter, they sent 5 on 4 and a half. Oh, and stock spindles, when I had ordered the 2 inch drop.<O:p</O:p
    Their technical support could tell us nothing...no dimensions, no degrees, no design, no direction for us.
    <O:p</O:p
    I advised that I wanted matching rotors and another month went by and they sent me another rotor, but again wrong bolt pattern! This time a 5 on 4 and a quarter!<O:p</O:p
    Again, I called and have been told since August 17 that the correct rotor is on its way.
    <O:p</O:pNever did get my 2 inch drop spindles. Oh, and they supposedly do not make the traditional 5 on 5 and a quarter bolt pattern.
    As of today, I have not gotten a call back from anyone. The guy I generally deal with, Jeff Wilson, has not returned my calls, Drew Hoffman, director of operations, does not return my calls or e-mails. Nothing! I am quickly loosing my patience and at this point see legal action as my only resource to resolve this.
    If you purchased this from the Hoffman Group, you may as well plan on spending hours on hold, making many calls - I HIGHLY suggest the 800 number! and basically being told that you are an idiot. Oh, sure, be prepared for several apologies, but little, if any, resolution.<O:p</O:p
    Oldspert, I sincerely wish you luck, my friend. As for me, well, I fall upon the wisdom of the H.A.M.B. for guidance and suggestions.
    Respectfully,
    Stingray

26. Not sure you are measuring the bolt pattern correctly, the common Ford small pattern from 1949 on is 5 on 4.5" BC and GM five bolt is 4.75" BC. To my best of my recollection some early ('30s) cars had a 4.25" BC but not common or relevant to modern parts.

I did look at their website, If the product they show there is any indication of the quality of the street product, I would be skeptical they could produce a usable product. At the very least I would put a critical eye to every weld joint and double check everything.

27. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Go with Fatman, Scott or Chassis Engn. for MII parts. It is worth the extra cost...

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"well I got my order and parts were missing, bent, poorly welded and incorrect, but look at all the money I saved"

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

LMAO, yeah... I'm all for spending just a little more and getting a quality product. It'll actually save you money in the end.

30. Yep. Pretty much sums up how I feel to a tee!