Register now to get rid of these ads!

trouble with a new rubber

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by thewishartkid, Aug 25, 2009.

1. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

i bought a new windshield rubber for my 65 chevy pickup.i've tried everyway i can to get the windshield in my pickup and i cant This seal is not preformed. It seems to be of good Quality.It was in one piece till i cut it?any ideas?

2. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

what did the place say about the rubber when you called them and asked why you are having trouble?before you cut it

3. F&J

F&J

I had tough going with my 66 ten years ago with a new PPG glass, and new w/s seal.

Normally a w/s gets started at the bottom with a chord wrapped in the groove. I had a tough time starting the bottom without the top of the w/s hitting on the front rain gutter overhang.

I think I finally put the top under the gutter, then set the lower edge in place.

It still was real difficult to get the top to finally go in. Lots of hammering with a flat hand. Lots of lube too. Still thought it would break, but it didn't

Did you cut it on purpose, or did it get cut by trying to install?

4. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

I think that the last one I put in (67 Mustang) I did with powder, and nylon cord. put the bottom in first and then had someon push flat palmed and hard on the outside ofthe glass as I pulled the cord out. I'd think that lube would work better than powder, but that's what we had. Makes sense that if the top hit, then you'd have to put it in first. just need to get the seal started then work it around. Not that this probably isn't what you are already doing, but hope it helps.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

put the ribbed side in for your pleasure:eek:

dude.. you know he was asking for that one, with that picked as a title:rolleyes:

6. thewishartkid

thewishartkid

I have installed these windshields before,So i thought i knew what to expect but this one is kicking my butt. I think the last ones in these pickups i was able to use the old rubber!

7. Fenders

Fenders

Ask an old time body man, use a cord and liquid soap.....
    Uh, one piece til you cut it? :eek: