Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods So how many cars should one man allowed to have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by resqd37Zep, Aug 24, 2009.

1. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

I known some women that have blown things up most their life and don't have a collection like that to show for their talents. :D:rolleyes::p

2. Airborne34

Airborne34
    from Texas

No limit. Looks like this guy can afford it.

3. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

last time i checked, this is america, and you can pretty much do whatever the hell you want, as long as you have money.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

wow great collection..
    and to answer your original question...,as many as he wants!:cool:

5. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

If I sold my coupe, I rather see it end up in a collection like this, then to be beat into the ground, or completely changed..............

6. I'll bet he drive that lawnmower.

7. PoPo

PoPo

if I had it thats what I would do. Atleast they arent sitting in a barn with pigeon crap all over the hoods.

8. Kerry67

Kerry67

I wish I was rich. Plain and simple, that is all it takes.

9. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

For all the ney' sayers. Here is a little photos just showing how "involved" he is with his cars.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and yes these are public domain. So before you crucify a 75 year old guy for "not working on or driving his cars" you may want o ask a little history first!

10. Dirt Rod

Dirt Rod
    from Mission KS

Hey fellas, it's like this. THAT guy is not going to own all those cars forever.....

So at least for now they are being preserved in a nice storage space!!

that's my glass-half-full opinion...

Ax

11. Thank goodness the klunker plan does not touch these ..
    I say having a barnful is way better than a bankful..
    ya can't ever drive money!
    would rather go look/sit (making vroom noises and fake tire squeals) at these while all crippled up and dying than handing green tickets to the doctors and insurance guys

then handing these over to family and friends to sort it all out..

Damn i'm taking it all with me dig a bigger hole!

12. Lucky bastard. I only want cars I like to drive and have time to drive, I also want different types of cars so each has it's own driving experience. Those are my limits but everybody is different.

13. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

As long as there is some hands on work going on who cares how many cars he has. But that doesn't mean there isn't something funny about other rich guys posing with cars they haven't touched. Doesn't mean any one hates or envys them, but it's still funny.

14. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Yes, I agree...

15. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Personally I admire this guy. He had a dream and he made it happen. Maybe he came from money, maybe he didn't. He does share something we all on here enjoy. Old iron.

For the negative comments, Are you unhappy with what you have? Be happy with what you have, many wish they had the car you have.

1 kick a$$ car can be just as great as warehouse full. Thanks for sharing. (my.02)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  16. I'm thinking "BILL HARRAH" who owned something over THREE THOUSAND cars when he died and had NO PLAN for their disposal whatsoever in his will. That made for some interesting writing in all the car hobby publications back in that time. Ended up with a hotel chain buying it all, having I think three auctions and then setting up a foundation which whittled it down to something like a collection of 160 cars which are still displayed today in the Reno /Sparks, Nevada area.

17. Kinky6

Kinky6

Obviously, as many as he can afford!

But I'd like to offer another angle on all this discussion; he bought every one of those cars, right? Which means that some shop crew was contracted to build them, or some hobbiest spend years working on a favorite project, only to sell it off to fund his next dream rod. Either way, this guy paid them for their efforts.

So drive 'em or admire 'em, or wait for their value to escalate, he is helping to finance the hot rod economy, which is a good thing!

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

18. alsancle

alsancle

Dead on as always Bob. The class envy crap gets old really fast.

19. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

There is no such thing as too many. Take your too many number and multiply it by 2, 10, or even 100- there is a collector out there somewhere with that many. Too many is the person that has them and can't afford to restore, keep or drive them.

As for people on here saying large collections like this or other's I've posted on here before being a waste because they are not driven you could not be more wrong. We should be thanking these people for restoring, preserving and housing these cars for future generations. And just because owner doesn't drive them that doesn't mean they don't get driven, I know lots of shop monkeys that get to enjoy them!

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How wrong some of you are. I'm with Frank and 37kid too. What fuckin buisness of yours how many or much of something ANYONE has? Not all of what I see in the pics is oh-my-god awesome, but he likes it and has a purpose and desire for it all. Bravo to the owner. I met a gentleman this month that has 1100 cars. How should I behave when I take him up on the invite to visit? About the "they need to be driven..." comments. Once again, who are any of you to judge. You could show some social graces and say that if it were you you might drive em more often and end it there. I just left a collection of 75+ investment quality cars an hour ago. Wonderful people. Bravo for them too.

Negative posters must be short on their Haterade, so next time replace that with a great big cup of "Shut the Fuck Up" if you can't appreciate such things.

21. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I think everyone should have a different hot rod for every day of the week..... Starting with me give em here!!!! lol

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

Trick question. Depends on who you ask.

If you ask me......as many as I want.
    If you ask my wife.........the one I have is sometimes too many.

23. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Amen.
    I'll say it again. They guy just turned 75. He has paid his dues and would not feel even remotely obligated to justify his hard work and collection. He rather, is most generous and open with it. I'm sure he would just chuckle at all this.

24. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

It's probably BS but i heard Bill Harrah wanted 1 of each. Not sure how close he got to that goal? What's left of his collection is still in the Reno Museum, stop by and check out the Ferrari powered Jeep Wagoneer it's my personal favorite!

25. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

26. How many cars.........

As many as you can get your grubby hands on and are able to care for.

I love seeing collections that are being well cared for because they will be available for the next generation to enjoy. Jealous... hell yes I am but maybe someday I'll hit the lottery.

I think the average guy is doing well to care for 6 cars.

27. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Just reread the heading. Who gets to decide how many anything we are ALLOWED to have? Hillary, Barak, Newt,who? pretty scary when you think about it. Good thing I only have a couple of things.

28. rustbucket65

rustbucket65

Impressive collection of cool cars. I see no issues with building up a nice collection of cars.
    Car Craft does a small article on collectors like this every issue.

29. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I just had lunch with my friend who does high end hot rods for very rich customers. He mentioned that about 6 of his clients have over 20 cars and thier collections are growing every day. One in particular that some of you may know about is the man who started and owns Two Men and a Truck moving business. This man doen't own or isn't into hot rods per se but has a large collection of restored cars. My friend is just contracted to paint many of them. I don't know the total in his collection but he has over 300 convertibles (that's his weakness). To say it once again just to confirm, he has over 300 convertibles. It's been his life's work to collect all of them and as his business flourished the collecting intensified. He is now about 80 years old and has recently slowed the pace. Can you imagine being on his heir list?
    Once again, as many as he wants as long as he can afford them and doesn't infringe on anyone elses rights. I love this country. In my opinion anyone who doesn't is free to find somewhere else that's better (for them).

Frank

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  30. LesIsMore

LesIsMore
    from Ohio

Atleast this guy has apassion for them, plenty of cars in museums, they will forever be preserved and looks to me that at any point I am sure he could fire one up and drive off. A few years and someone will call them museum finds.