Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Balancer sqweek????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COS, Aug 24, 2009.

1. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I had a sqweek/chirp coming from the front of the motor after looking at it I noticed a little wobble at the balancer... So I swaped it out and it doesn't wobble any more but I still have that fucking chirping!! What did I do wrong???

2. squirrel

squirrel

does it chirp with the belts off?

3. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Yes sir I was going to order a new water pump thinking that was the MOFO the whole time.. So I took the belt off ran it and it is still there!! WTF??

4. squirrel

squirrel

can you post a video on youtube?

5. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Sure nuff check it out search cos1976 just loaded it up should be there in a few min....

Thanks man!!

6. squirrel

squirrel

I'd use a 3 ft piece of garden or heater hose and see if I could figure out where it's coming from. sounds like half crankshaft speed (?), so it could be the fuel pump or timing chain area?

7. COS

COS
    from KCMO

It is up on my end

8. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I was thiking the seal around the balancer in side timing chain cover???

9. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Have you checked the balancer pulley for a small crack?

10. squirrel

squirrel

4 or 5 chirps per second. That's about 250 per minute. That's half crankshaft speed. It's not the damper.

11. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I have not seen any cracks used the old stphascope??? SPELLING???? put it on the fuel pump and the timing cover and the chirp does not come through on either... I did notice once I shut it down it makes a long chirp or pressure releas sound all most like a tea kettle??? Does this make any sense!!

12. COS

COS
    from KCMO

I have the belt off and it is the only thing turning I just do not get it???

13. squirrel

squirrel

The camshaft turns half as fast as the crankshaft. The fuel pump and distributor are driven by the camshaft....

14. mechanical fuel pump

15. COS

COS
    from KCMO

So are you guys saying it's the fuel pump?? It is only a few months old and I put the scope on it and all it was making was a heart beat noise...

16. Could be, makes sense with the pressure release sound you mention.

17. squirrel

squirrel

Also listen at the valve covers, the valves move at the same speed. But they're only moving half the time, and the chirp is longer than that. Fuel pump is the first thing I'd look at.

18. coupemerc

coupemerc

Are you sure that it not a rocker arm?

19. COS

COS
    from KCMO

VERY VERY INTRESTING INSPECTOR!!! :D So I guess I need to order a fuel pump tom......

If that is it I owe you all a beer!!!

-COS

20. Cam shaft shifting forward and something's rubbing on the timing chain cover?

One of the camshaft bolts has worked loose and it's rubbing on the timing chain cover?

Loose timing chain scraping on the timing chain cover?

Leaky header gasket echoing off that area?

Bent oil pan rubbing on crankshaft?

Timing pointer scraping on balancer?

If the timing chain cover got bent up somehow when installing the seal, maybe the deformed timing chain cover is rubbing on the balancer or on the timing chain or lower sprocket or something? Those cheap imported timing chain covers are sometimes bent out of shape when they're brand new.

Good luck

21. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Squirrel I owe a beer SON!! Fuck that if you are ever in KC you got a BBQ dinner on me!! That SOB fuel pump was loose we tightened it a 1/4 turn on each bolt a what do ya know it fucking stopped!! NOT IN A MILLION YEARS would I ever have figured that out on my own!!

VIVA LA HAMB!!!

-COS

22. Don't I get at least an Honorable mention :D Seriously, glad you found it, that kind of stuff can be maddening.

23. squirrel

squirrel

uh...I was gonna suggest that hotroddon get credit, he was sure it was the fuel pump (I was almost sure)

24. #### Oh yes you would have !! A couple more days and it would have got worse !! Good job squirrel >>>>.

25. COS

COS
    from KCMO

LOL all right you both have some BBQ and Beers coming!! Sorry just got excited that you guys help me fix something on my car for FREE!! Man I love this board!!

-COS

26. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Hell it has been doing it for at least two weeks!! Heck I drove all the way down to the Drags this past Saturday and back with it doing it!! It fucking drove me nuts!! Hell that sound was the only reason why I didn't run!!

-COS