Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beginning year of the model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wedgeii1, Aug 22, 2009.

1. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Since the model A first started rolling off the assembly line in late 1927, did they refer to these as 1927 model A's or are they all considered '28 and '29's? Just curious...

2. flatford39

flatford39

The early ones are designated AR. Lot's of little differences in them than the later 28's.

3. The early 28 A's had red steering wheels, and left hand E-Brakes also with a cone clutch. The later 28's went to black steering wheels and right e-brake like the 29's..?
    I never heard them referred to as 27's

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Made from soybeans.

5. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I believe there was a thread a way back that did cover a lot of the differences if you are really interested.
    Just need to do a search and see what comes up.
    I can only add that the early AAtruck/pickup had a higher rear window position which after approx 6 months of production it was lowered about 2 inches.
    The earlier rear window panel also had a Ford script kinder engraved in it.

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

The 1928 A's were always referred to as 1928's, unlike the early 1909 T's that some call 1908's.

7. Ice man

Ice man

Model As never had a CONE Clutch. They were a clutch similar to the clutchs now used on Auto Trans today, and were called Multi Disc. The fly wheel had a long snout on it for the drive clutches and the input shaft had the driven mounted on it. And remember Henry stoped production of the Ts and made nothing for 6mo while he retooled for the As. So there were no 27 Model As, only 28 ARs. And some early ARs had a side cowl vent on the drivers side. Also some early motors had 5 cam bearings and solid motor mounts that bolted directly on the front cross member. The PkUps still used T sheet metal in the cabs till 30. So they have much more head room then the later 30/31 cabs

8. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

a friend of mine gave me a magazine one day that was about classic cars and the information which was listed in the magazine article was that they were produced in december of 1927 and people were buying them in 27, so they were referred to as late 27 model as, but i think that magazine was a little off, i think they are all 28 models just with minor differences as others have listed above

that same magazine had a picture of a 27 t coupe and they called it a model a

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

So how about an all original '28 with a red steering wheel and right side parking brake? Is it an AR? We've been wondering, but can't get a straight answer. Here's some pics.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

Attached Files:

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

On the ar's the spline on the steering shaft was diferent, also the front fenders and front radiator splash pan where diferent. the bright work on the vehical was nickel plated instead of chrome, the rear tail light was drum shaped and the tail light bracket was cast instead of stamped steel.

11. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Yes, but were the 1927 A's referred to as 1927 A's? In 27 they ended the model T but also started production of the A. At least thats what Ive read. It was only for a month or so but it did start in 27. Not that its a big deal, just curious...

12. In the car business we started building the let's say 65 models in 64. The new models were called 65's because they were the 65 models. They were for sale to the public after Jan. 1. As time marched on the new models were for sale in late Sept. $0.02

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sure Bruce will add to the info but "AR" is a Ford REPLACEMENT part number that at some time in the hobby got turned inton a pre Model A model type. If Ford desided a part was inferior it was replaced with an improved part. That AR clutch was one of the first things to go, cost to produce, and easy to wear out, it was replaced with a common flywheel pressure plate design.

14. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Ya, I guess thats my question. Today you can buy next years model months before its next year. Is that how they did it back then? Wondering if those first ones were released as 27's. Every so often I come across 1927 model A's on ebay and wonder if its just a misprint...

15. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

Im not positive, just my $.02, (and this doesnt impact the Model A question) but I thot the 'many months before year end' for new models started in 1945 after the war when companies rushed to get 46 models out in Sept/Oct after the surrender was signed on 9-2-45 ????

16. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very simple---- Model T ended in 1927----Model A from 1928 to 1931------Don

17. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

It's kind of like today, you can buy a 2010 Mustang, but they're being produced in '09. Doesn't make '10 Mustang an '09. :D

18. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Thanks. I just wasnt sure if that was the way they did it back then. I appreciate you clearing it up.:)

19. actually , Model A production continued until March of 1932 . could those be considered `32 Fords?

20. I'm pretty sure Ford NEVER refered to them as 1928 Model T's. BUT, titleing differed from statet to state back then. I've seen 1927 titles for 1928 vehicles that were sold and titled in 1927. That doens't make the car a 1927.

21. Andy_SSPP

Andy_SSPP

If the early A's had the e-brake on the left side and a red steering wheel mine is probably a mid -28 because it has a red steering wheel and the e-brake on the right.
    Also has the fan shroud, powerhouse generator and the 1/2" early starter shaft.
    I found a shart with the production numbers and with that you can tell the number on the engine and what month it was produce.
    I don't have the engine number here but I remember according to the shart it was August.
    /Andy

22. Ice man

Ice man

Remember Henry stoped production of the Ts and for (6) Six months, there were NO new Fords for sale. I've been into Model As for 60 yrs and never heard on a 27 Model A. And if the E Brake is in the center of the car in front of the shifter, or on the right of the shifter, its not a AR. Iceman

23. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

I guess thats actually what I was getting at. A car built in 1927 may not have been called a 27 model A but may have been registered as a 27... Thank you.

24. In the old days, yes, it wasn't that unusual for a motor vehicle department to title your new car purchased before Dec 31st as the current year, even if it's next year's model by the factory's standards.

Over at Mopar, new models were introduced mid-year and sold for about 12 months, those sold after the New Year were sold as a first series of the next year's model. Not much different than what was done later on the production side, just no one thought to call the cars made between July and December as the next model year's car.

25. Just like modern cars which are built before the new year,are called and titled as built after the new year.The 1927 was the last model T, !928 the first Model A.

26. wedgeii1

wedgeii1
    from california

Perfect! Thank you. :)