Register now to get rid of these ads!

Favorite Funny car as a kid.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motorhead711, Aug 21, 2009.

1. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Cool Thread.

Can't Beleive I forgot about the DAMN YANKEE Cuda & The ( Chicago Patrol )

I'm pretty sure Shoe's last flopper was a 74 Vega in Yellow with red & blue side colors.

Think his last big race was Gainsville in 74

There was a Revell Model of it too.

2. My bad. It was so many years ago and I no longer have the model. I remember it was gold with the wonderbread logo on the side and all the colorful dots.

3. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Twig Zeigler's "Pizza Haven" Sattelite flopper was and is my favorite F/C, followed by Larry Huff's "Soapy Sales" Challenger and Jim Dunn's rear-engined 'Cuda.

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

One of the first and most famous Jet Funny Cars "The Lava Machine" Roger Gustin:cool:

5. carbon guy

carbon guy
    from indy

Jungle Jim for me, and all of the Revel cars, because I think I built all of them when I was a kid.

6. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

i forgot about the burgundy Dunn & Reath mopar with the gold halibrands on the rear. that was a bad mofo!

7. cgaswillys

cgaswillys
    from New Jersey

Dick Harrell cause it's all Chevy!!!!:D

Attached Files:

8. rcoffey

rcoffey

The bluemax is it for me. I saw it at Green valley drag strip when I was a teenager .back then you could stand on the starting line , oh man what a blast,the smell of nitro,burning rubber and that thumpfrom the camshaft that you could feel in your chest felt like your hear would quit!!! Man those were the days!!

9. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

10. L.A.-Bar

L.A.-Bar
    from Lforida

When I was a kid they didn't have Funny Cars....

11. Ralph Moore

Ralph Moore

Another vote for the Snake and the Mongoose.

12. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

My dad worked with Eddie Pauling, Driver/Owner of this car when when I was a kid. He'd take me to watch him at Beeline Dragway in Scottsdale, AZ. I was Hooked from then on....................

Attached Files:

13. Two of the cars I worked on in 1969, Marv Eldridge, forgotten local hero in So. Cal. had a two car team when nobody did..
    Toured with Goeske, in the one pic you can see the front end of my Dart, this was US 30 in Gary Ind. I guess sometimes "favorites" are the ones with a personal conection more than national fame... I have these in 1/25 plastic along with Goeske's front motored Hemi Cuda on a shelf in the living room... Mr. Wells may I borrow your time machine please?
    These are all from the WEB.

Attached Files:

14. Larry T

Larry T

When I went to the Coca Cola Cavelcade of FunnyCars, Fred Goeske's burnouts were second to none. I still remember them, and that's saying something.
    Larry T

15. The Coke deal was awesome, great way for a smaller track to have a real pro show, I had a jacket with the Cavacade logo on the back, but I left it with Goeske when I left his team, picture me kicking my butt, and saying dummy,dummy,dummy. The Coke deal was a lot of work, we race several times a week at different tracks, but heck I was 19 so I was eating it up...

16. 65deluxe

65deluxe

17. rallisracing

rallisracing

Mickey Thompson's Mach I driven by Danny Ongais...Ford in a Ford....

18. Ramblur

Ramblur

As a kid it was the Pisano & Matsubara Vega. Must have built 3 or 4 of the
    models.
    <script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

19. guiseart

guiseart

I always remember the old Mongoose/Snake battles

20. jokerjason

jokerjason

Well I always loved The Army Funny car of Prudohmme's but Mike The Hippie Mitchell always had killer stuff!! JOKER JASON>

Attached Files:

21. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

When I was a kid F/C stood for Fuel Coupe. Pete Millar's "Chicken Coupe" was a car I loved. When Roger Lindamood chopped the top off and altered the wheelbase of the origional "Color Me Gone" A/FX was doomed.
    As for the later funny cars I was a Blue Max fan and the northwest cars. Kenny Goodell, Green Elephant, Jerry "the King" Ruth. Another favorite was these guys :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  22. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

I miss all the qualifying to narrow the field down to 64 Funny cars. Sometimes it changed the weather. Was damned hard on the lungs, ears and eyes tho. :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  23. canadianzed

canadianzed

Miss STP - Paula Murphy, little red mustang.
    [​IMG]

24. Church

Church
    from South Bay

WOW....soooo many good ones. Other than the obvious, how about

Dale Pulde's War Eagle
    Al Segrini's Brut sponsored ride
    Jim Adolph's Shady Glenn cars were stunning
    Dave Benjamin and Frank Kranberger were always good for a fire or funny car puzzle.
    Roland Leong's Hawaiian Punch cars ruled no matter who was at the wheel.
    Gary Densham with no money and his auto shop class helping between rounds on his Teacher's Pet flopper.

just to name a few...

25. melsfine39

melsfine39

This is Big Jim Dunn's rear engine cuda from the movie Funny Car Summer.
    All time favorite!!!!. The second shot is the Pisano & Matsubara Vega in a cool see through style photo. Mel:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  26. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

They didn't have funny cars when I was a kid! Hey! don't laugh

27. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

I just wanted to thank the peeps that are posting pictures, floppers are cool and for me it brings back great memories of dry-hops, long burnouts and LOUD nitro engines! I'm not real good with the computer stuff so no pics on my end, however the guys that posted, thank you!

28. Zookeeper

Zookeeper

Several years ago, the body from the Pisano & Matsubara Vega was up for sale in National Dragster for $750. I remember building the model in grade school and am truly sorry I never bought the body when I had the chance. It woulda looked great hanging from the ceiling in my garage.

29. thechoop

thechoop

Damn. How could I have forgotten about Dunn's rear engine Cuda! Such a cool flopper!! And yea, FUNNY CAR SUMMER is amazing. Totally reminds me of my childhood going to Lions and OCIR with my Dad.

30. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Love the Jungle Jim, Snake, Mongoose, etc. Out here, we got a kick out of the Swensen & Lani team, and I did dig Mitchell's Corvette.

Still, my favorite has to be the Snoopy Jag of Shel Konblett (posted earlier).