Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear end shimmy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61 chevy, Aug 22, 2009.

1. 61 chevy

61 chevy

I drove my 61 Chevy today for the 1st time in a week. The last time I drove it, everything was fine. On way home rear end started to wobble. I checked tires when I got home & discovered a bulge in the left rear tire. Replaced with my spare that has not been balanced. Still have the problem. Could an unbalanced tire cause rear severe shake at low speed of aprox 15 miles per hour. Eases up on higher speeds. Any ideas appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Yes, and check it for defects too, flatspotting, sidewall bubbles, wiggly tread, etc.

3. HotRod33

HotRod33

Go buy 2 new tires and have them mounted and balanced.... check the fronts tooo... how old are they.... don't trust an old tire... your car and your life are worth alot more than 2 tires.....

4. 61 chevy

61 chevy

That's my next step. Planning to put 4 new tires on it. Rims are 14" x 6" Crager's. What would be a good size tire with some width.

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

BAd case of a broken band or two.

6. attastude

attastude

recently worked on a friend's chev wagon. the crossmember where the trailing arms attach was cracked on each side. you could see the rear axle move when he came to a stop. might be a good idea to check there also.