Register now to get rid of these ads!

61 comet engine swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caddyman65, Dec 11, 2003.

1. caddyman65

caddyman65

So..I`m going to start looking for a 289 for the wife`s comet and i figure the stock c4 will work but what about the rear end? suggestions for hooking up power brakes and steering? Would appreciate any help, want to make this a safe and dependable car since the little monster will be riding in it too

2. Radshit

Radshit

What engine did your Comet come with? Your car most likely came with a 144 six or maybe a 170 six. The 260 V-8 didn't come out till '63. The 61's had a 2 speed manual or automatic option....

The C-4 wasn't produced till 64 so I don't think it is stock.
    I have a power brake master booster on my 65 Comet. I don't know if they will fit the 61 though. And Falcons and Comets came with Power assist, the stock steering box itself never had power. But not sure what year they were first introduced.

A 289/302 and C-4 of just about any year will work with little or no modifications, and a C-4 out of a V-8 powered Mustang II had a really small bell housing every Falcon/Comet owner prefers.....

I remember an article on how to adapt a Geo Metro Power brake unit to a Falcon/Comet of that approximate year. They are small and compact, and the few people on the Falcon message board that I know of that used them were very pleased with the performance. You didn't need to cut out the firewall to fender brace if I recall...

3. caddyman65

caddyman65

It has a 200 straight six- i dont think that is stock either, just what was in it when we got it

4. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

An 8-inch rear axle from an early V8 Comet or Falcon (5-lug) should be strong enough for a 289/C4 combo, and will be a virtual bolt-in for you.

Up front, you can either upgrade to V8 car 5-lug drum brakes, or convert to discs. Granada/Maveric disc brake spindles will swap onto certain year Falcon/Comet front ends with little effort, but I don't think it is a direct bolt-on for a 61. Other posts relating to Falcon front brake swaps should surface if you search the HAMB archives for further info.

Factory 260/289 V8 mounts will locate the engine where you need it, and the C4 tranny is a solid choice for a driver. It's a light, compact trans that will fit the car with ease and handle a stock or mild 289 with no sweat.

If finding a radiator proves difficult (or expensive!), tell the parts guy that you want one for a 1974 Maverick with a 302 automatic. A buddy of mine did this with his 63 and it fit with minimal fuss and cost him about half of what some other place quoted him for a 260 Falcon radiator!

Those early Falcons and Comets are cool little cruisers, and they make ultra reliable daily rats, too! Should be a great little car for you and the family...and not too expensive or difficult to build, either!

5. Hi, Look at kustimizer's posts of the last few weeks. He's doing the same thing to his Comet. Alot of info there. I've done alot of these swaps. Your 61 will need all the V8 suspension for the swap. Find a parts car if you can to get the control arms, etc. It'll be a bit tighter at the firewall for the v8, when you mount the motor, theres only a 1/2 inch or so clearance left. You may need to smack the firewall in slightly to make it fit. The late 62-65 cars had the clearance, as they were offered with v8's. 60-1 cars didnt come with. But all the stuff is bolt on, no cutting, etc. Good luck.

6. Sorry it is kustumizer... [​IMG] Do a search and youll get his posts.

7. Radshit

Radshit

Don't leave out early Mustang parts sources....I bought a three row radiator cheap from these guys and it fit perfect.........http://www.mustangsplus.com

8. caddyman65

caddyman65

thanks for all the info,maybe now i can talk the wife into letting me build a garage

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

my 65 comets got 289 auto trans w power steering and nonpower brakes. I gota say I dont like the stock PS I plan to take it out someday. it has no road feel and with that its easy to over correct in the wet and end up spinnen out.the brakes work great. Im using granada discs with granada combo valve with the stock comet master.hope this helps

10. Radshit

Radshit

296 v8 is right....the power steering assist tends to leak alot and it just doesn't have the right feel. They are more trouble then they're worth.....the Falcon/Comets are light enough that (Armstrong) manual steering is easy to operate........

I guess that is why I decided to put a straight axle under my Comet....hehehe

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

also I had to buy a $65 custom tyrod end to keep the PS when put on the granada stuff. [​IMG]

12. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Mr RADSHIT can you PM me and tell me about the axel swap. been thinken about doing that to mine. back in about 83 or 4 I put one in my GTO

13. Radshit

Radshit

I was thinking about a " Hot To Get A Nosebleed in your Ford " post..maybe I'll do it anyway.

I used a 51 F-1 Ford axle and front leaf springs. I drilled and chromed the axle and I used the F-1 brakes...but plan to go with discs soon......

I used the rear hangers that came with the F-1 and The cross steer box on the Comet Cyclone made the rest easy.....

It sits pretty high in the air after mounting a 59 Ford nine inch out back underneath the rear leaf springs....I have a set of 3 1/2 inch front runner Cragers up front with 12inch deep dish Cragers out back.....

I made a set of front shock mounts to bolt to the wheel well where the upper control arm once bolted.

The F-1 axle was the perfect width and made the front runners sit where I like 'em......not all sucked in ......I plan to mount a Moon tank in the front of the grill and add Hilborn injectors tubes protruding up past the sheet metal......My hero Alfred E. Neuman will get his mug painted on the trunk lid for my enjoyment......

14. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

This is a timely post for me.
    We just picked up a 63 Comet Convertible for the wife tonight. I was thinking about hopping up the stock 170 slightly, but I think the MercOMatic is a power looser too. Now I'm considering slipping a 200 six with a C4 in there- I'm sure lots of Mustang guys have pulled them out for 289s...

15. a/fxcomet

a/fxcomet
    from Eugene, OR

[ QUOTE ]
    also I had to buy a $65 custom tyrod end to keep the PS when put on the granada stuff. [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

I bought one too then realized I didnt need it. Mustangs used bigger tie rods one the drivers side (what that adapter tie rod was designed for) and I would have had to modify my whole setup just to make it work. The parts store Granada outer tie rod end worked just fine on my '64 with a 289 and power steering. And it cost a whole lot less too [​IMG].

16. havocproductions@mac.com

[email protected]

Hey Guys,
    I just bought a 1963 mercury Comet convertible with a 260 v8 and a 3 on the tree. I want to put in a 289 or 302 w/ a c4 tranny. Is that gonna be hard for me to do? worth it? what kind of mods will I have to make? thanks!!!