Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody ever hop up a E-475?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatlandman, Nov 27, 2003.

1. Yep, the big Edsel motor. A guy wants to trade me a complete but stuck 348 for a non stuck 410. Anybody have experince building one of these up?Are there any other FoMoCo engines based on this block and heads?
    The stats say they 345 hp @ 4500 and 10.5 to 1 compression when new.
    Thinking it may a good plant for a future project...

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

it's basically a stroked 390 FE,Mercury used'em too for a short time in the mid 60's,all the same hop up parts you could get for a 352,390,428 should bolt right on.it'll cost a lot less than rebuilding a 348,that's for sure-george

3. Thanks! That's what I thought! 348/409 costs a kings randsome these days to rebuild/hop up! Built nothing but GMs over the years so this something new!
    I thought maybe that this engine was a forefather to FE/FX big blocks. Wasn't sure if anybody was hip to the E-475 heading either...
    Thanks again George

4. LIMEY

LIMEY

Had one about 15yrs ago at the time i needed another cyl head & while trying to locate a gasket set, i was informed that the only other gaskets compatible for the E-475 were the big Lincoln motors of the same era up to 1960!
    thats what i was told back then but how true that is.....i don't know, also heard of speed parts too...but rare.
    They are also rated at 475ft/lb of torque in stock form.
    guess thats why they called it E-475.

5. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Sorry to dissapoint but the 410 is nowhere near an FE, it is a MEL motor and is in the same family as the 383, 430 and 462.
    It makes some serious torque at 472. One year only in the 58. Never offered in the Merc either.
    Parts are scarce and expensive and many shops cant handle that block/head configuration which is very similar to the Chevy W motor.

The Edsel FE was the E-400 at 361 cubes. The 390 was still 3 years down the road.

6. DiggerDrew

DiggerDrew

The 410 was also a FE Motor
    332, 352, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428
    It was used in Merc Passanger cars from 66 to 67 if I remember right. I had a 410 Park Lane Wagon also the crank from the FE 410 was the same as a 428 and the piston size was the same as a 390.
    This motor was never used in a Edsel.
    Drew

7. [ QUOTE ]
    Sorry to dissapoint but the 410 is nowhere near an FE, it is a MEL motor and is in the same family as the 383, 430 and 462.
    It makes some serious torque at 472. One year only in the 58. Never offered in the Merc either.
    Parts are scarce and expensive and many shops cant handle that block/head configuration which is very similar to the Chevy W motor.

The Edsel FE was the E-400 at 361 cubes. The 390 was still 3 years down the road.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Oh boy! Now I am confused!!! Your talking to a Chevy guy, which is funny considering my two projects are Fords!
    Now what??? help...Is the 410 a dog, rare, but a dog? Then aren't the 383-410-430-462 all the same base platform?They did appear in NASCAR and also in NHRA for a while. I know Offy offered somethings back in the day but I can't think of anybody else.
    Maybe I should stick with Flattys and Chevys! [​IMG]

8. [ QUOTE ]
    This motor was never used in a Edsel.
    Drew

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hate to tell ya but it was a '58 Edsel engine. How do I know(and I don't know much about Fords) it's still in the car!
    Here is what edsel.com said...
    "The E-400 used the same major components as the 1958 Ford, including water and fuel pumps, heads and exhaust manifolds.  The E-475 is similar to the 1958-1961 Lincoln and Mercury 430 cid V8.  All parts will fit, except the pistons, which are 0.100 inches larger in the 430.  The Mercury 383 engine is also a similar match, except for the carburetor, crankshaft and pistons.  The 383 carburetor will fit the E-475, but expect a 5-15% drop in horsepower."

And see this link... just scroll down a bit.
    http://www.edsel.com/pages/edsel58.htm

9. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

They made both the edsel 410 "E-475", and the FE series mercury 410 in 1966 the FE 410 is as drew says a 390 with a 428 crank, the 428 crank has a 3.98 stroke, slightly longer than a edsel at 3.7.
    FED

10. 286 is right. It is an Edsel motor one year only. It is not a FE and has nothing to do with that motor.

11. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

The guy asked about the Edsel E475 which is a 410 MEL, one year wonder in 1958, period. Not offered in Ford, Merc, Lincoln or anything else.

Why keep confusing him about a 410 FE which was years after the Edsel was dead and buried. That makes as much sense as telling him that the Rambler ran a 327 [​IMG]

During the 430 years there were aftermarket dual quad intakes offered and I believe there was even a factory dual quad or 3 deuce setup for the Merc but dont quote me.
    Stuff does pop up on EBay at times but usually a big fight for it.

12. Now I got it.
    So I guess the 410 isn't the way to go then. Can't afford kooky prices for hi-po stuff. Now I know why the guy wants to trade!
    Still got the 8BA that came in the Merc to play with. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. [​IMG]

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I used to collect Lincoln speed equipment and also learned a bit about those engines at one time, since I also wanted to build one.

There are indeed two totally different FoMoCo 410 engines.

One was the Mercury 410 CID version of the FE with the same crank as a 428 (I think in a 390 block), as someone already mentioned. Definitely something to keep an eye out for in the junkyards is the mid-'60's Merc's with "M" in the serial # in the VIN tag, good place to try and get a 428 crank cheap. This engine is no more difficult to build than any FE, speed parts are plentiful.

The OTHER one, is part of the Lincoln family, the 383/410/430/462 engine.... The 383 was the '58 Merc, the 410 was in the Edsel, the 430 came in Edsels, T-birds, and Lincolns, and the 462 was in the last two years of that family in the Lincolns. Speed parts are RARE RARE RARE but they do exist. I used to have a Weiand blower manifold and finned aluminum timing cover for a cam-driven fuel pump, as well as an Algon fuel injection unit. All were sold to a man in Canada that was resurrecting his old Lincoln-powered Willys gasser. He wasn't the only kook that ran them in the old days, there were at least two top fuelers (Cyr's and Canovan's), as well as at least one other A/G Willys, and a 2-seater T-bird that I knew about. Who knows how many ran the engines, because I have seen two other timing covers loose in ads/swaps, as well as two or three other loose blower intakes. Also knew of two or three Hilborn injection units in existence as well. But that is ALL of the hard-core race stuff I ever found.

Side note, there were other parts made for the big Linc's, Weiand listed an 8-carb log intake and a 6-carb log intake, Edelbrock listed a 6-carb intake (I've seen a few of those too), Vertex offered a mag/mag base for them, Milodon once made a main cap girdle for them, Edelbrock made a 3x2 intake, and Moon made finned aluminum no-name valve covers (I've only known of two sets in my life, both sold for $300/pr which did not bely the rarity of them). And don't forget the factory aluminum 3x2 or factory aluminum valve covers, either.

I knew a guy that was so into them for his boat (which had one of the Hilborn's on alcohol), that he took a lot of time to try to figure out what the best heads, blocks, cranks, and rods were. I do not know what his final verdicts were. I seem to remember him saying that the '58 rods/crank may have been of better material, but I don't know what he was comparing that to. I almost seem to recall someone saying that there were two different bellhousing bolt patterns or something like that and that there is a cewrtain combo to bolt a C-6 trans to them-- I've forgotten if that was just getting a '67 C-6 trans, or if that was using a later block along with a C-6. I've just been out of them for several years now and forgot a lot of what I learned.

Other notes on them, supposedly the FE rocker arms (not the shafts, but the arms), as well as the oil pump might be the same as FE (so there would be your roller rocker possibility perhaps). And I seem to recall the timing chain being the same as 460 Ford (better double-check me). The engines can go over 500 CID, too. Funny thing about them, is that they have the same type combustion chamber/head design as a W-motor 348/409 Chevy, and that is with the chamber made in the cylinder and not in the head. The head is flat across.

I think these engines would be killer with some modern engine tech such as lightened reciprocating assembly (they are massive, with 3" rod journals and 3.5" mains if memory serves me still) and a blower. But, finding speed equipment is TOUGH and takes years. Been there, done that.

14. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

OK,so i'm wrong.i've been wrong before,and i'll be wrong again! [​IMG]

15. I ran the 462 version in my 66 Lincoln coupe. It was bone-stock but really didn't need anything more for the big, stately coupe. My roomate had one too and we usta use his for a tow truck. Never knew you had a car behind you with that massive torque. Mine had a c-6 and it worked ok.
    Mine had enough power to "pop" the 9&3/8ths rear in my 66 after a little to much beer one night.. massive torque!
    My dad had a 63 Lincoln sedan with the cruiso and a 430...I swear it was faster even than my 66.

16. I don't think you'll need to "Hop-up" that motor at all...!The hop-up on that motor will cost tons of $$$$$ and a stock rebuild isn't cheap either! [​IMG]

I had a stock 430 "Super Marauder" in a 57' Ranchero and it scared the "Shit" outa me! Great running and looking motor..., especialy with the tricarbs, finned valve covers and the factory aircleaner! [​IMG]

Here's what it looked like...! [​IMG]

http://home.g2a.net/~brechlrl/pages/48fordstreetrodmotorpic.htm

Come to think of it..., Go for it ...! [​IMG]

Mark

17. modelAedsel

modelAedsel
    from rocklin

Kanter has complete kits to rebuild these and they are no more$$$ than any other.
    Also check out lovefords.org they have a great edsel page I am running one in a 31 ford sedan

18. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

after 6 years, I think they got the questions answered by now.

19. Yes, except the Kanter kits have flattie pistons for this motor, and that destroys the swirl combustion chamber in them, so they carbon up drop tons of horsepower. You have to get Wiseco pistons made for them.