Register now to get rid of these ads!

Washing primered cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

I have been afraid to wash my car with it's black primer. I am afraid that it would just be covered with water spots that would be impossible to get off. Am I crazy or would it be a bitch to get spots out , or wash it like any other car?

2. 52style

52style

i wondered the same thing but my blask primered car looks good after it rains so im sure it will be fine with a hose

3. 3rd Gen Hot Rodder

3rd Gen Hot Rodder
    from Indiana

I (rather my father-in-law - 4my2dads on the hamb) uses Windex on our 32 Ford.

[​IMG]

4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you get spots just go over it with a fine scotchbrite pad. they gray ones you get at the auto paint supply place.

5. Try some Camper Glitter available at RV outlets, it has some stuff in it that "feeds" old paint, it will, however, make it shinier, kinda like a semi-gloss. Great shit!

6. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Windex works well.

7. Kerry67

Kerry67

Never thought about Windex.

8. skullhat

skullhat

windex as mentioned.

my van i high school was white primer for a while, i used comet or ajax on it with great results

skull

9. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

No problem. Take it to the car wash if you like. If you get anything stuck to it, use a scrub brush on it.

[​IMG]

10. squirrel

squirrel

I painted mine with dirt colored primer, so I never need to wash it! (except I washed it really good Monday after getting back from the salt)

Usually if you wipe it dry before it has a chance to air dry, it won't water spot.

11. buickbelle

buickbelle

Our's is light grey primer, it is washed with soap and water, then we just shami it off like we do the the rest of our cars, no spotting here. I would assume (yea I know what that means) there isn't much difference. Since the chrome is nice, we just shammi it all off, wipe of the chrome and we are good to go with no tell tale spots.

Carrie

12. I use a degreaser like Simple Green or Orange Blast and a soft brush. Let it air dry, no spots.

13. AtteGirl

AtteGirl

This...and it's good for a quick chrome clean up too

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

don't they have that car thing that was advertised with the cartridge that leaves a spot free shine? it had a cartridge to treat the water.

15. Kerry67

Kerry67

Yes.....And they also had a light you shine on your head and it grew hair.

16. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

dumb thing didn't work, i still have no hair and a sunburn. Let me know if this works, I was thinking of useing a flattening agent in my vintage import project i love that look, body style is a lot different then what you see today and it lends itself to the flat look. simple and clean, none of the ricer boy ugly crap. keep us updated as to what works.

17. I used green cleaner and a wornout scothbrite. when I was done I just loose wiped with one of the wifes nice thick towels, lol never had a spot.

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

ArmorAll cleaning wipes work really good too but be SURE you get the CLEANING wipes and not the original. Wipe it on and lilghtly wipe it dry, works great

19. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I sock a cloth and wipe it down

20. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

windex works pretty good or pretty much any window cleaner. dry it before it air drys and dont wipe dry it press it down with a towel.

21. mcisneros

mcisneros

primer nationals.... now it makes sense

22. gmc1941

gmc1941

Use Simple Green with distilled water works great and cost about a $1.50 a gallon leaves no water spots cheap cheap!

23. Gotta love that coupe! What's the engine?

24. David Walter

David Walter
    from Troy,Al

You Wash Your Primered Car??? I like to watch Painted car owners when I go to the clean up area before a show and offer my bristle brush to other primer car owners to clean their cars. My first Rod, a 47 Plymouth coupe had an off white epoxy primer, a friend and I would freak out the painted crowd when we would wet sand it to clean it, especially when my friend would offer them a piece of wet sandpaper.

25. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I haven't washed mine going on 4 years now. I'll post results when I get around to doing it.

Frank

26. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

i dont follow.....you use windex?
    how? in bucket? instead of soap?
    or spray it on? like a window?
    shit-damn-ass-piss!!! im lost again! i hate this hot rod shit. im getting me a rice rocket. kidding, but i AM lost!

seriously.....
    i blew a tranny line a few days ago and it got on everything!! hit the fan and away it sprayed. the guy at the radiator shop(where i coasted to) wiped it off in a even pattern so it if it did ruin the finish...at least it would be in a pattern.
    anyway....i went to the "do-it-yourself" car wash later that day. fluid was on finish for like 8 hours. when i got done washing, all the tranny fluid is gone, but i do have white chalky looking spots near the front. are you saying i can sand them off?

also, during one of the huricanes in south florida the roof leaked in the shop, now the car has white areas where it dripped down the sides!! are you saying i can sand it? wet sand it? scotch bright it?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  27. conormulroney

conormulroney

Ajax and a sponge does give it a light shine. It is, however, a mild abrasive and will rub off primer if used often enough.

Conor

28. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I have used armor all and I have used w d 40, but work well...

29. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

wd 40 makes it look wet. but that looks cool in itself.:rolleyes:

30. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

you know what they say about opinions...:p