Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBF Guys, 5/6 bolt tranny Qs.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Oct 19, 2005.

1. k-member

k-member

I have a 1963 Fairlane 260 with a ford-o-matic. I hate this 2 speed POS. I have a C-4 (6 bolt patern) kickin around and was woundering if if I would bolt to a 5 bolt patern motor just minus one bolt. Or can I swap bell housings? I have put V8 bell housings on 6 cylinder trannys before, but not to familiar with the Ford-o-matics. And what about yokes? Are the Fordomatics the same as a C-4 yoke? Is the over all length the same? What about starter motors? Any help would be usefull, thanks.
    O yeah, I thought about a 302/C-4 combo but that LiL" 260 runs great and gets darn good gas milage to boot.

2. George

George

The 64 C4 was a 5 bolt. Restorers of 64 1/2 Mustangs snap them up.

3. k-member

k-member

Yeah I know, hence the 4 in the C4 part, but dang I don't have one of those. So will the fordO bell work on a later C4?

4. k-member

k-member

This morning it's getting worse, all kinds of noise is comming from the little 2 speed and she is starting to slip pretty good now.

5. I hate it when that happens. Sounds like your going to get to pull the 2 speed out no matter what. I belive your 2 speed bell housing will bolt right on the C-4. I did this years ago but don't remember the exact combination. Once done I remember changing to a 65 steering housing to get the gear selector corrected.
    The Wizzard

6. squirrel

squirrel

if it's an actual 2 speed, the bellhousing does not unbolt, it's part of the trans case like a newer GM trans. If it's a 3 speed Ford-O-Matic, then it does unbolt, but it's not the same as a C4.

You can't use a 6 bolt bellhousing on a 5 bolt block, they're differnt bolt patterns.

looks like you need to fix what you have or find the elusive 5 bolt C4 bellhousing. good luck!

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

hey now you sound like me, i had a 63 w/ a 221 and a fordo... i hated it from day one, mainly cuz it was half blown (didnt get 2nd gear until the car warmed up real nice... bad low servo seal) however i ended up replacing the whole drivetrain when i blew the 221 with a 67 289/c4... but you need a pre 65, 5 bolt c4 bellhousing thats the only thing that will work for ya

once you find the bell be careful when swapping them. by unbolting the bell on the c4 you are unbolting the front pump as well and could actaully pull the front pump out when pulling the bellhousing off. best of luck

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

haha i know a guy that pulled the pump out like that!!! mr eley himself! ahh what an agrivation that was! good luck, and ditch the 2 speed!

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

depsite all ur warnings i almost almost almost did it... i almost shit not two bad transs ooooooooo nooooooooo

10. BigChief

BigChief

Unless your really into the resto scene your better off selling the 260/slush box-O-matic driveline to a resto-head and putting the money in a later motor and trans. The 260 is just as much an orphan as that old two speed when it comes time for any kind of major rebuild work. Even though the 260 is a Windsor family small block (like the 289/302/351W and the later 5.0 and 5.8 motors), it has small bores that won't tolerate much boring at all and tiny valves and ports in very compromised head castings. Parts for these motors are hard to find and expensive when you do.....even good 'ol 289s are drying up to the point where we're buying any that we can afford to when we find them.

If your still looking for mileage then look for a wrecked pre-'92 Ford Crown-Vic with a 5.0/AOD package. Drop a small four barrel or an old Autolite two barrel on it (with the appropriate intake) and it should get at least 20mpg in that little Falcon. The pre '92 AODs were not electronic controlled transmissions (like the 92 and up AODE trannys) that still use a mechanical (T.V. cable) linkage to control transmission function. There are several places that sell swap kits to put the AOD on a carb'd motor/into early bodies as T.V. cable adjustment is critical to the operation (and life) of the transmission. Get some Tri-Y headers or even repop 289 HiPo exhaust manifolds with a good dual exhaust and it'll sound great too. If you don't have an adversion to EFI then a donor from any 5.0/AOD or AODE equipped C-V or Mustang would work fine for a cruiser.

-Bigchief.

11. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

I have one of the elusive 5bolt C4 bellhousings buried deep on my shelf. If interested, hit me up if thats the route you decide to go. That is what you need to mate your c4 to your 5 bolt block.

12. k-member

k-member

Well apon further inspection, it looks like Squirrel hit the nail on the head. The bell housing and case are one piece like a C-6. I have switched many a bell housing on the LiL brother the C-4 (and ya, you gotta watch the pump) but it looks like I will be putting in my other 6 bolt 289 or 302/C-4 combo in there in place of the 260. I will probably now put the 260 heads on which ever motor I do end up putting in there for the small cc combustion chambers. Thanks alot fellas, now I am just gonna drive it till it won't go no mo.Hmmm another 200 dollar Maverick doner would come in handy right about now. Thanks again.

13. havocproductions@mac.com

[email protected]

S.R.I.,
    I have a 260 in my comet and I wanna switch my manual tranny for a c4 and I need that 5 bolt bellhousing. how much do u want for it? Any other mods I have to do if I put that in? Is it better to just go 302/ c-4 combo and use the money towards that? is that a hard to do swap? sorry, total newbie here.
    Joshua