Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disadvantages with painting in primer (red oxide)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boulderdash, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

I eventually want to paint my bodyshell in red oxide , but it is pourous, being a primer, and doesn't really offer sufficient top coat protection. I know loads of you guys paint in primer, but how does it really hold up and how long will it last? I am told that if I mix matting agent in the red oxide primer it won't be pourous and be a more durable. Is this true and will mattting agent help?

2. JamesG

JamesG

Primer is an absorbent, just remember that.

3. squirrel

squirrel

depends on the primer you use. If it's just normal spray can primer, then it'll rust after a while. If you use a good two part automotive primer, it can last for years....my 55 has been wearing the same DuPont Uro primer for over a decade (sprayed on over bare metal), no rust and it's been in the weather and stored outside quite a bit

4. Boulderdash

Boulderdash

Where could I get some of this two part automotive primer, and is it, or can it be, red oxide?

5. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I hate red oxide primer I finish all my cars in that.That way I paint them.Please Paint

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Primer, in all its' colours, was NEVER ment for long term exposure to the elements! If you are just taken with the idea of a mat finish on your vehicle, why not have an enamel or urethane finish mixed with a flattner?
    Flattening compound will not offer any protection from the elements when added to you finish.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

7. mj40's

mj40's

How about DP90 and etc?

8. squirrel

squirrel

Visit your local auto paint supplier. It might be that they only sell to respray shops....but I don't know the laws over there

9. David Totten

David Totten

Pimpin has it right. I use Red Oxide toner with flatting agent .Another advantage is keeping it clean. Primer spots, hard to wash.,Oxidizes .among other problems. With paint a little soap and water and its a done deal.

10. prl98

prl98

DP 74 is a red oxide look.

11. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

Red oxide likes to turn pinky after a while too!!!

12. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

put a sealer coat under it. Then your red oxide on top of the sealer