Register now to get rid of these ads!

Finally! My First Project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Low-Blow, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Today is a good day! I have been looking for a car for the last year or so. I was dead set on a '49-'52 two-door sedan. One that I could slam and cruise. However, this deal came available and was too good to pass up. I have only seen pictures of the car, but am going to pick it up next week (along with all the parts and pieces)! The car was owned by a gentleman who had begun to restore it. He was a younger guy (in his 50's), but passed away unexpectedly. He has done a lot of work to the car already. I will definitely post more pics next week as I have it on the trailer and headed for home. And, I'm sure that I will have a lot of questions as the build unfolds. I am new to this game and look forward to learning a lot.

Attached Files:

2. thats a great start. good luck.

3. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

COOL! good luck, and ask any questions you need answers to!
    there are alot of really talented folks here on the hamb.

4. Squablow

Squablow

'56 Chevy wagon, looks like?

5. T-Roy

T-Roy

6. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

I'm told it's a '57. I will be picking up the title next week as well.

7. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Thanks for the invite. I will join the club next week whenver I have the car and title in hand. Then it will be official!!

8. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

Congrats on your project! Good Luck with it.

9. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

good score, best of luck, and get some references before you let anybody work on your car or parts.

10. F&J

F&J

Boy, look at the lack of rot on the body. That looks like the perfect start.

11. riverrat

riverrat

dont ask questions, unless you have done a search, or you will feel the heat

riverrat

12. biscaynes

biscaynes

that firewall is '57 chevrolet. :cool::cool::cool:

13. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Congratulations! I couldn't stop jumping up and down the day I bought my first car. The feeling you must have makes me smile. I'm so glad you got what you did. I thought I wanted a 48-51 Merc, and I ended up with something way more interesting IMHO, because it was all I could afford at the time. Wagons are AWESOME! Keep us posted. :)

14. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

cool project welcome aboard

15. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

Well, I got into town last night and could not wait to take a look at the car. It is in even better shape than I thought. There are a ton of brand new parts for the car. I also got my hands on the title. It is from 1960. It appears that I am the 4th owner. The car was bought new in '57 in Irving, TX. The second owner purchased the car in '60 and kept it for 35 years. I am assuming this because the person I got the car from never titled it in their name. So, they owned it from '95 until now. I am anxious to get all the pieces back to my shop and start sorting through them. Some additional pictures are below.

Attached Files:

16. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I like your wagon Man, should be real NICE when done!

Nick.

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Looks like a super project and mostly complete. That's important if you weren't the guy who tore it apart. From quick obvservation it looks like the origional cast iron Powerglide is among the pieces. If I could give one piece of advice that's one item I'd replace during the rebuild. A T-350 is a 3 spd instead of the 2spd Powerglide, a much lighter transmission and a way more reliable one. Everything is available to make the switch from the aftermarket...........you won't be sorry.

Frank

18. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

congratulations looks like a solid start and most of its there. and i agree with fab32 about the transmission situation, maybe even get an overdrive tranny if you plan on doing much highway driving. good luck

19. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Congrats.....Nothing like a new project.

20. Low-Blow

Low-Blow

The original engine and powerglide tranny would have to be rebuilt. In lieu of doing that immediately and because of several suggestions such as yours and fab32's, I am going with a 700R4 that I pulled from a '78 Camaro. I will probably use the SBC 350 that it is currently coupled to as well for the time being. Thanks for the input.

21. smarg

smarg

Looks like some fun get it bagged and make it hit the ground and you will Have an even better day....