Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey Alberta Hambers!! Time to pull your socks up!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Kid, Aug 18, 2009.

1. The Big M

The Big M

Well said.

One of the best shows I've ever been to is Cruise Night in Saskatoon. Most of the downtown area gets shut down so car enthusiasts of all stripes can park their cars and show them off, and best of all, attendance is free. Of course there is a heavy musclecar and streetrod presence, but the cool thing is that they're all cars that actually get driven. I think most of us can respect that and relate to it. A lot of the cars get organized into different sections too, so you can avoid the tuners and late-models with giant audio systems if you choose.

A lot of people, myself included, have an appreciation for a wide range of cars and trucks. So I agree with the idea of attaching a HAMB-friendly section to a more open show (or the reverse, as Jalopy Kid posted). That way someone who shows up to see the musclecars might get some exposure to traditional builds, and might even decide to get into the hobby.

Not that I really care if others share my particular tastes. It would be cool to see more HAMB-friendly cars at shows though.

Just my 2 cents.

2. brad2v

brad2v

That's how I understand it. Looks like I'm screwed for the 12th, I coach football, My team's 2nd game is that day. I'm more than willing to assist in getting this together though.

3. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm sure your team would be fine without you!

4. flamedolds

flamedolds

This sounds like a pretty good turn from what the topic first started out -- as I said it probably could have started as a post simply stating Edmonton Hambers should get together sometime and see about planning a show. I would really like to meet any of the Edmonton gang I don't already know. I am usually pretty busy but I would definately make the effort to attend a monthly HAMB meeting. If 50s-60s boulevard custom fans are welcome.

As far as the "pouting" or "panties in a bunch" on the F-book I don't know exactly what you would expect to get other than that when you tag people in a note complaining about their vehicles and talking about having a show where their vehicles wouldn't be allowed. Private messaging someone about wanting to put on a show OR creating an event page that was private and could only be viewed by invited guests would have maybe been a better route.

As far as not taking your cars to other shows, I've been to the Dropsicles show with my 58, parked outside and was ASKED if I wanted to bring it in to the show, same thing with a minitruck/import show I went to on the south end in Mill Woods. Most of the "brand or model specific" shows in the city are pretty hardcore about what they won't let in but any other show I have EVER driven by living here I've been invited to join in.

I think one of the BEST shows anyone could put on would be in a mall type parking lot, multiclub, say the Old Souls, Clutchpoppers, Road Demons, Kreepers, Dropsicles, 780tuners, whatever the lowrider club in town is all participated in organizing, with roped off areas in each section of the lot which would allow for say 40-50 cars of each criteria, because car turn out is never really all that huge for ANY show in Edmonton, segregated so you wouldn't have to hear the guy who was looking at the riced out Civic talk about why he doesn't understand WHY you have rust on your car and thinks patina is a condiment, or if you thinked hydro'd Monte's on Daytons are lame you don't have to look at em BUT if open minded individuals want to check out some stuff they have never seen before or don't understand they can cross the boundaries and check it out.

Most of the guys I know would like the chance to check out some of the other stuff going on in town. Hell Lee it would probably be pretty good for building business contacts.

5. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

6. brad2v

brad2v

Unfortunately not, there is only 2 of us coaching this year, and it is VERY challenging keeping the little buggers half-assed organized. However, as I said I will help wherever needed, and would be willing to run my '59 up to Edmonton for the odd meeting, I'd love to meet everyone.

7. My real name is Lee Grant, the note is on my FB profile.

Anyways on another note, I'm leaving to go to Saskatchewan for a funeral so I will now officially be offline until Sunday. Just so you guys know and dont think I've abandoned ship.

8. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

You could pretend it's a "team building" excercise?

9. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I'm trying to get ahold of someone at the Jarvis Bay Provincial Park campground. The girl who answered the phone for the Town of Sylvan Lake said it has free day-use, as well as overnight camping (for a fee) if anyone wished to stay the night before blah blah blah.

It's located 5 minutes or so out of town, on the north side of the lake. It's not right in town, but if anyone had any reason to run into Sylvan it's right there.

Sound like it could work?

10. patch

patch

.... another cruise you might want to consider is the museum on the south west side of Wetaskiwin ... tons of old cars in the yard there.

11. George G

George G

"Sound like it could work?"

Yep

12. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

It's all but cleared out now! The museum is still really cool though.

13. flamedolds

flamedolds

I still think that other than just checking with the town of Sylvan Lake you should put a call into the local RCMP office and make sure they aren't gonna be sitting there waiting for you with trailers and ticket books.

14. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Greg, I think I may have to do that.

I called the Jarvis Bay people and I'm glad I did. It seams that they no longer do day-use-only. The nearest Provincial Park that allows day-use in in Gull Lake, north of Sylvan by half an hour or so.

So I was wondering, would you guys like to keep it in Sylvan? We can still use the facilities on Lakeshore Drive (main drag). We'd have to share the space with the public, but I can't emagine it being packed in the middle of Sept. like it is now? The only real pitfall I can think of is parking. We may not be able to park all alongside each other, wich would be the best-case-scenario as this is a car event haha.

What do you all think?

15. flamedolds

flamedolds

I know this may be a little off the original plan, and I know the hope is for a cental location for Edmonton,Red Deer,Calgary etc. attendees BUT my two cents is... it's basically less than a month before you are planning this meet up, I know how much prep goes into making the arrangements for this kind of thing and it's definately a little tight.
    I know it's further for everybody but I REALLY liked the location out by Matt's that the Clutchpoppers show went down at. The antique trains really make the atmosphere and there's food readilly available and LOTs of parking space. I think for the short notice in arranging this it might be a good choice for the intitial go round and gives you a full year to make things really happen for next year in Sylvan or something.
    Sylvan is such a tourist trap that I think having a show on the main drag is going to make the whole "nice rat rod" or "when you gonna paint that thing" factor go up by a million just by the people that will be walking by.
    I would try and get as official a car count as you can for this particular "first off" meeting and cater your location to that.
    Just my two cents.

16. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

I like Katy's Crossing as well (By Ardrossan, 10 minutes east of Edmonton) but it might just be a little "out of the way" for the southern guys. Your right Greg, this is kind of rush-organizing the event (we should have thought of it sooner haha). I was hoping to have the first meet somewhere off the beaten track, to keep the foot-traffic to a minimum. OR we could have it smack-dab in the middle of town, and whenever someone makes an offhanded comment we could sic Matt on them?

We had some good talk going on in this thread, I'd like to hear from everyone about potential locations. Calgary/area guys what do you say?

17. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

18. selohssa

selohssa

Why don't we just start an informal get together for the Edmonton and area guys Thursday nights in the Fort Edmonton Parking lot. It is right in town and we shouldn't get hassled too much as it is dead there in the late afternoon/evenings. I like a show idea but I think it would be cool to get together on a more regular basis just to get to know eachother. This is just a suggestion but what do you think?

19. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

You know,, Thats a Great Idea.. The same would be nice In the Surrounding area of Calgary.. and maybe take a cruise up to Red Deer .. ..

20. FatDave

FatDave

It's good to put faces to names... especially if a larger event is going to be planned.

21. I should be around for a meet-up in the Calgary area. I'm still planning on making it out to the cruise at A&W Crowfoot tomorrow if I can.

22. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

If people want to organize their own get-togethers in Calgary and Edm, I think thats cool. Why should it be a once a year thing? Hell, do it every week!

Lee and I were hoping to get an Alberta-wide group get together going somewhere central. Just an excuse to spend the afternoon BS'n and eating burgers.

I guess my question would be, who is still up for a HAMB get together in Sept?

23. GearHead614

GearHead614

I like the Central Idea best cause then we all get to meet other member/cars that we havent seen before. I dont driving to redeer?sylvan for a meet

24. There is already a meet at LG Kustoms every thursday, not hamb meet, but hamb members are welcome. And not a sit a bs meet, Thursday is the "Milk Money Special" night, 4 of us have combined all our misc parts and are building a 60's style Altered. Everyone is welcome to come by and help out, but please note, its not a sit and bs kind of thing, if your not helping on it were just gonna ignore you, not because were dicks, but beacuse we will all be working on it.

25. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

And because they are dicks.

26. So, who else is stoked for a meet on the 12?
    Another potential meet spot could be Fay's Diner on hwy 2 by Ponoka. Lots of parking, good food, damn good ice cream, and it doesnt cost anything to park there.
    For those of you that dont know where Fays Diner is, its a little greasy spoon shack located at a rest stop on the east side of highway 2. bewteen Lacombe and the Wetaskwin turn off

27. GearHead614

GearHead614

The 12th crap there is a big Auction in Standard ab, the guys restored Ford PU/s 36-54 lots of parts, flatheads, chassis, bodys, restored and unrestored trucks. well see i guess

28. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Looking for some input guys! Who's still up for some burnt hot dogs and BS'n on a Saturday afternoon?

29. I'm still down. I just hope I can have my model A fixed and back on the road for the 12.