Register now to get rid of these ads!

Erson cams help....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctommy, Aug 4, 2009.

1. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Hey hey..

Need help identifying my cam, it says erson 340 F and has B 32 S3 stamped on it, also 8858174 stamped on it. It's in a 66 327 with 461 heads, standard otherwise.
    Thanks.

Tommy.

2. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

And again, any Erson experts out there?

3. fourspd340

fourspd340

You can contact the company that owns Erson Cams here:
    http://www.pbm-erson.com/index.php
    Telephone: 866-753-2386

I had to call them a couple of months ago regarding an old cam I had. They had to go back to a 1969 catalog to find the info but they still had it.

Stan

4. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

5. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Have tried to get in touch with the Erson people but no reply......

Anyone nows about my anything about my cam?

6. BigBlockMopar

BigBlockMopar

Just measure the highest and lowest point of an intake and an exhaust lobe, multiply by 1.5 and you got your 'rough' valvelift.
    Then look in the Erson cam-listings for the cam that comes closest to the lift of your cam, and there you have it.

7. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

8. Just came across specs last night. I cant reply until tomorrow but will look it up today.

9. Call Erson directly & ask for Steve Tanzi in tech...if anyone there can find it, he can. Probably cheaper to buy a new cam than make a long distance call from Sweden, though...:(

I'll try to dig out some older catalogs this afternoon & see if I have it.

Edit...just saw that Tman posted....can't walk away from the computer for a minute, let alone 20...:D

10. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Great! looking forward to it. :)

Tommy.

11. Sorry...I can't find it...looks like it may be pre-1980s?

12. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

hey mctommy...if u have 461 heads on a 327 then u welded tham on HA! where do u people come from...another dimension HA! just call me pop.

13. :D
    461 is the last three digits of the casting number "pop" Not the engine size:D

ottoman and olscrounger like this.
  14. As in 461 & 461X heads....as in 3782461 and 3782461X heads...two well known casting numbers for early '60s 283 & 327 heads...known in SBC-speak as 461 heads & 461X heads...before you decide to open your mouth and criticize, might help to actually KNOW what you're talking about....because you are coming off as an smart-aleck a-hole. :rolleyes:

ottoman likes this.
  15. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Hey Pop! Sometimes it is better to stay quiet and risk that people think your an idiot rather than open your mouth and have it confirmed!! Ha..... Where do u people come from....... Ha.

Edit. Sorry, looked at Your profile and noticed You are a racemotorbuilder.........Well maybe i'm wrong then.... Better check if i got weld on heads........ :)

Roadstar and Homespun, Thanks! To bad with people jumping like this here! I thought we were supposed to help each other here, not be assholes....

Tman, any info found?

Thanks, T.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  16. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Try again......

17. Dug the magazine out. That one is not listed though. It is from 1987 so the cam may be newer than that?

18. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Tman, probably much older than that i think the car has been sitting since the 70s without anyone touching it.

T.

19. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Trying again.....

Put the cam in, but engine is very hard to start, needs a fresh battery and a lot of turns before it comes to life...... I'm thinking it could be this cam that is not suited for my engine....

Anyone having info on the cam numbers??

Tried contacting ersons tech dep several times but they won't answer......

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

1.5 to 1 Rocker arm Ratios SBC

340 F Timing IO .54 IC 90 Lift 490 Duration 324

Flat Tappet Racing Grid Proferal Billets

whatever that means

21. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Thanks Little wing, i'm a little wiser now :)

Question is does it work in my 327 , i'm not good on duration, overlap and things like that.

Thanks.

Tommy.

22. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

23. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

That makes me happy!! Thank You Sir!

Have a great day :)

T.

24. Not really enough information to go on. Those IO & IC points & duration are likely advertised duration or .006. Likely it is too big for a 327 for the street, depending on what you expect it to do...rough idle, soggy low end, etc.

That shouldn't necessarily make it hard to start, though...I'd look at timing issues or the carburetor...or the cam is excessively retarded or advanced...or the lifters aren't lashed correctly.

olscrounger likes this.
  25. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Carb is probably too big, it is a 750 edelbrock on a c3b manifold don't know if that can affect the starting problems...
    Spark is fine and i've tried all possible timing positions, dont know what else to try with the ignition.

When i finally gets it started it revs and sounds pretty good especially when i advance the dist. Has a very loopy idle though and seems a little week on the low revs.

When i crank the engine it ignites a little but it takes about 15-20 seconds on the third or fourth try to get it running.

Havn't found any airleaks either.

26. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Sig Erson is alive and well in Hawaii! His son still operates Babe Erson Camshafts here in SoCal. Sig Erson sold his business to Super Shops and retired so there is very little to connect the old Sig Erson cams to todays business.

Those old cams had lots of duration and lower lift than todays camshafts. Low cost roller rocker arms and quality high lift capable valve springs were not yet available. The 340 deg duration is exaggerated though as there were long clearance ramps needed at that time.

The quicker opening higher lift camshafts were in the future.

Shouldn't be hard starting. But idle will be very lumpy and low speed power down but makes good power over 5000 RPM.

Carb is not too big. We used same manifold and AFB carb on many engines in those days. I suspect carb is the problem starting. Are you using choke? Hand or electric?

27. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

It,s a new out of the box edelbrock 750 manual choke.
    When i choke it it gets even harder to start....

28. mctommy

mctommy
    from sweden

Problem solved!!

A lot of small adjustments here and there and VOILA..... It starts perfect :) And screams and roars.

29. Ben Manning

Ben Manning

All the baby erson shop,equipment and spec/catalogs were sold to Steve Long. He is a well known VW builder and still grinds any make cams from baby's book