Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Help: Need really old flame pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tarlo, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Tarlo

Tarlo

Hi All,

I recently saw a documentary on our Australian WWII Beaufort fighters, and amid the footage there was a couple of seconds of a plane, not with a shark's mouth, but with flames! They were the early type, the wavy naive type seen on some early lakesters etc.

I've been thinking about using them on my Topolino project, but would like to see some more examples.

I know they look kinda funny, but that's what I love, it's as if they're the opposite of those horrible new realistic flame jobs.

Here's some examples of the type that I mean.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Rikster

Rikster

Jim Roten photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life Magazine photo

[​IMG]

3. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

Nice.

The naive ,or folk art ,or whatever..style of flames are the only ones that dont make me puke..
    There aren't many cars done in that way, I guess the style only lasted a few years, Immediately post war,until a more sophisticated, (and ultimately uglier), style developed.

someone will have more shots i hope!

Edit: There you go! thanks rikster! I guess that style continued into the fifties judging by the F trucks.

4. A while back, either Hot Rod or Street Rodder did the "History of Flames" article. I'll see if I can find the issue tonight.

5. Rikster

Rikster

Some good stuff in THIS book as well

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'll post a photo of the 1935 INDY 500 winning car tonight, one of the earliest race cars with flames.

7. jimbob

jimbob

I'm curious about the Beaufort that was in the docco that had them. What was the program?? It's possible we'll have a shot of the aircraft in our collection.

8. Tarlo

Tarlo

I'm not sure mate, I'll get the DVD out again and let you know.

By the way, does "our collection"mean you work at the War Memorial?

I worked on an exhibition called "Out in the cold" about 6 or 7 years ago, and quite a few others. Not sure if that rings a bell. I gotta get down there at some point, fond memories...

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow, I don't recall and Beaufort with flames??

Not trying to be a dick but the Beaufort was a bomber, do you mean Beaufighter (Fighter bomber...seriously!) Or the Boomerang, Australia's only home designed and built WWII fighter. I will have to dig out my copy of the Boomerang Story!!

Doc.

10. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Great Idea for a thread !

11. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

Those flames are so great. No two of them are alike. We need more of this today.

12. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

He res one wish i could get the pic bigger.

Attached Files:

13. 31fordV860

31fordV860

1972 Allison McPhail my girlfriend in High School your not getting them...nice try though..

14. jimbob

jimbob

Yes. I restore the aircraft, and was involved from go to whoa with the Beaufort we have here.

15. :confused::confused::confused:

16. 31fordV860

31fordV860

My "OLD FLAME" in School ...

17. That was a bit of a stretch ....

18. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I get it "old flame" pics I got some of Allison if you want to buy em?

19. mojo273

mojo273
    Member Emeritus

More pics please............ I'm diggin them.....:)

20. Tarlo

Tarlo

I have to appologise, the documentary was about Beaufighters, not Forts, and it's called "Beaufighter Squadron World War 2". Seems that it's a SBS production. I'll rent it out and ask a friend to do a screen grab for me if I can spot the plane.

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This older style kinda makes me think they were painted by someone who didn't know how to paint flames... I'd be a little chicken to put them on a street car. I do like the one racer that also has colors added to them a little more. One guess? Many of these cars came from the west coast, perhaps there was one painter who started it, copied by others? Gary

I also seem to remember seeing pix a few early "flamed jobs" on the vintage racer, board racer, etc. threads here. Might be fun to look there.

Attached Files:

22. luckyuhaul

luckyuhaul

Honestly, they look crude and ugly against the licks being shot today. I would vote "no" for a street car. Of course, its' your ride and just my opinion. Flame on.

23. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Tarlo

Tarlo

I know what you mean, but this is for a race car, a topolino altered, I think it'll suit.

So many things in life these day are over-perfected, I don't want the fake tits of cars.

I think you're right in a sense about the origins - I have a feeling the plane I saw was influenced by American servicemen in WWII, though flames can be found on depictions of early cannon warfare, in indian, Islamic, English, Chinese and American folk art (and etc).

I'll dig around and try to find some examples.

25. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

That's what flames looked like until Larry Watson came along and started doing "Seaweed" style flames that have become the "standard" now. I seriously thought about doing "early style" flames on my coupe, but "chickened out" as I didn't want the unschooled to think it was just a flame job done by someone who couldn't do seaweed. I think there's a fine line between good old style flames, and just BAD flames. It's a hard line to hit right though!

26. Tarlo

Tarlo

Thanks for your input. Here's a mockup of the paint I put together tonight. It might piss some off... but I'm digging it at the moment. Plenty of time in this build to dream.

Attached Files:

27. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I heard this guy was a flamer back in the 50s and 60s....

[​IMG]

sorry...had to do it:D

28. Arkansas Tom

Arkansas Tom
    BANNED
    from Phoenix

Those are great!

29. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

That reminds me, Zenor's A wasn't the only H.A.M.B. ride in the new Rod and Custom. Craig aka "The Liberace" has his car in there too.

30. The Liberace

The Liberace

Old flame in da howwwwwwse!:p:p:p