Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects State inspection-Who has them!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. swi66

swi66

Here in NY, no inspection, or overdue inspection a quick $75 fine. Plus an $85 dollar surcharge to the state.
    But, speaking as a guy who did vehicle inspections in NY.
    You would be afraid to leave your house if you had seen what I have seen, and failed. Cars unsafe to leave the parking lot.
    And some of these owned by people who should have known better.
    I have had people offer me $20(or more) "just to slap a sticker on it".
    I always figured when they tried that, they had something to hide, and most did.
    Bald tires, rotted frames, bad tie rods , faulty grinding brakes etc...............

The inspection does serve its purpose, weeding out some unsafe vehicles.

Now if a car' s horn didn't work, that's one thing.
    But I have seen the worst...............and there are plenty of inspectors who will look the other way.
    I don't do inspections anymore..........never was a pleasant job.
    I heard all kinds of sob stories too.

2. THE BRONSON

THE BRONSON

I dont know how it is there but I got my 53 registered without an inspection. It had antique plates when I got it but now it has regular texas plates. Ive driven by many cops and got sideswiped by some asshole and the cops never asked or told me anything about an inspection sticker. I dont have to worry about any of that now becuase its in my garage on jackstands undergoing surgery.

3. So in PA do you *have* to register an old car with any special plate? Here in NY I can just get regular plates the same as any other car, and I have to get it inspected annually (although with the lousy glue on the new stickers it's a wonder they don't blow off and I could pick one up off the side of the road), but that's not usually a big deal. Then there's no driving restrictions on it.

4. Prostreet32

Prostreet32
    from Indy

Indiana only requires inspections to verify the head lights,brake lights, tail lights, and turn signals work( if it originally had turn signals in the year it was originally built),
    it it runs, has a VIN.#, and is functional it passes.( its easy here)
    My 32' didn't have a Title when I first bought it, so i had to jump through a few hoops

5. TheBurnetteSpecial

TheBurnetteSpecial

If the car is 75 and back no smog needed if your 76-09 I'll pray for you

6. DCLXVI

DCLXVI

Here in NC if the vehicle is older than 35 years, no inspection is required! And I mean no emission or safety inspections!

7. Here in New Zealand we have a certification scheme for new builds. Your car has to meet a very strict set of standards, and needs to be certified by a qualified certifier. Then to run fenderless you need to belong to a Hot Rod Association affiliated club to get an exemption. From there your car has to pass an inspection every six months for general roadworthiness, and you must attend two sanctioned events a year to maintain your fender exemption. Some points....
    95 decibel exhaust restriction
    1954 and earlier dont require seatbelts.
    New builds have to have grabber belts, hi-stop third brakelights and various other things like windscreen washers...
    I'm lucky, my 1928 A tudor build is still registered as a 1928 Model A, so I dont need all that bullshit stuff, and my registration fees are about a third of new cars.
    It's a very strict system, but it was devised by farsighted hot-rodders who could see that it is better to have rules and regulations to keep the fuckwit politicians from weilding the big stick and banning modified cars altogether.

8. Swifster

Swifster

No inspections required in MI or FL.

9. Piewagn

Piewagn

In Pa., antique registration is "permanent" ( no renewal ), with no inspection required!

10. In GA. they started a safety inspection that was a cursory once-over of lights, horn, wipers, brakes, steering, and tires. In later years they tightened it up a bit and required pulling one front and one rear wheel to inspection brake linings/pads. They dropped the inspection altogether in 1978 or '79 I think. Metro Atlanta area (extends out as far as Paulding County, and I'm a mile and a half from the Paulding Co. line) has emissions inspection, older models are exempt but I'm not sure what the cutoff year is. Georgia doesn't distinguish between stock and modified on vintage vehicles. Either one can run Hobby/Antique tag or, if '70 model or older, you have the option of running year of manufacture tag as I do on my '38 Ford pickup. They issue you a current Hobby/Antique tag which you have to carry in the vehicle but you only have to display the YOM tag.

11. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

when was the last time you were in AZ? i just moved from tucson to new orleans, am a daily rider and never had any inspections on my bike. arizona did away with bike emmissions testing in 2006 or 2007, i forget.

LA, you have to have a "brake tag" inspection that amounts to checking lights, horn, turn signals, no cracks in the windshield, brake lights, etc.. it's usually around $10, but those of us that live in orleans parish pay $25.
    gotta have the inspection on both bikes and cars.

12. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

if everything works just get it inspected,i get my 52 chevy truck inspected every year,if you know a guy that has an inspectoin station you'll have no problem

13. The reason(s) I registered my 32 in Florida is because I don't need a yearly inspection (NY $14), I don't have stickers plastered all over my windshield (NY), and I don't need a front plate (NY)...the lack of any of which is a BIG $$$ fine (NY)...:D

14. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Hmmm, I leave Arid zona in 06 and those damn smog dogs ease up on bikes.

15. Oklahoma used to have a so-called "safety inspection" that was utterly useless, so it was dispensed with in 2002. The only "inspection" required these days is when you get an out-of-state vehicle tagged and titled, and all they look at is the VIN. For a $4.00 "fee" in addition to the other reg fees and taxes.

16. butterboy

butterboy

Ok so since I started this thread at work, getting my car inspected was all I could think about!!! So after leaving work early, running home to my favorite pair of tin snips and my trusty old mig welder I am happy to say....
    I GOT MY CAR INSPECTED!!!!
    And man it feels good not to have to worry about getting stopped for cruzing around. Because of some holes in the body. Ya it smokes abit(no emmision test needed) But the lights all work, and when I push the stop pedal I know my new dual master cylinder, new lines, and new wheel cylinders all work to push my new pads into my newly machined drums!!! So a side from the welded in patches and ulgy rusty bumpers...I am legal and safe!!!
    You guys alway get me moving in the right direction! Thanks for the help and the push in the right direction..
    Tommy

17. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Yup, in Florida, if you can make it roll, it's legal.

18. gearsforguts

gearsforguts
    from temple,pa

glad to hear ya got it gone

19. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

HA! I have no inspection or smog tests here in bright sunny Arkansas. Ah, I love it here. Build what you want as long as it looks like the car on the registration and your color matches.

20. skip86

skip86
    from Florida

The Sunshine state (sweatbucket Fla.) has no inspections,i have hear,d that certain Counties require inspection for pollution stuff but not sure about that,Central Fla, is a free fire zone,Rice Rocket country,all go 100 m.p.h. with there hair on fire,being bilingual really helps,God help us.Gerry:confused:

21. 5window

5window

Hmph. Way too much mis-information floating around here, including,probably, some of mine. Start with these websites-they're official and then mess around in www.dmv.state.pa for the rest. The best advice anyone has given you here is to keep it legal. You really, really, do not want to get the PA police paying attention to you. Honestly, have you seen how the State Police (some of whom are my friends) have to wear the chin straps on their hats? Do you think that makes them have a good sense of humor?

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/subchapKtoc.html
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/pub_45/section_k.pdf
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/Specially_Constructed_Vehicle.pdf
    http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/Modified_Vehicle.pdf

22. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

yes, more populous counties have emmission testing, pinellas, orange, most of the miami area counties if i'm not mistaken also, duval, hilborough, etc..

23. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

It has to be 1948 or older for Street Rod Plates

24. PrecisionGuesswork

PrecisionGuesswork

VA State inspection does not apply if you are running antique tags, BUT if you run antique tags you "are not supposed to drive that ride everyday" according to the law. If you run regular tags you have to pass a normal State Inspection which currently dosent include a smog/emissions test.

25. 6-71

6-71

I am an inspection mechanic and long time hot rodder. I have always made sure my vehicles were legal and safe(even before I got my inspection license).I was always really paranoid when I did drive with no inspection,Just make the car legal and enjoy it.It will be a lot cheaper in the long run,and you wont have to keep looking over your shoulder for cops.There is also the question of insurance coverage.I understand if the car is not legal and you are in a wreck,your insurance may not be valid.:(

26. skunx1964

skunx1964

duval did away with it years ago:cool:

27. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Georgia , has no inspection, other than emission and that only goes back 25 years.

28. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

i'm pretty sure ct has just about done away wih inspections also. out of state cars i think that are 25 years and older just need to have the vin verified by a licensed garage, m.v.d. itself, or even a local police officer can do it. cars that were already registered in the same state need no inspection at all. and newer cars need to be emissions tested before registration. i think the only cars that need to be inspected are composite or home made vehicles that need a vin #. not 100% sure, but i think this is how it's done here.

29. Ice man

Ice man

Yea I lived in Pa for many years and was a State Inspector. They were tough. We were tough, had to be or Smokey would pay us a visit. I just ran the 29 through inspection here in the Islands. LOL OK No doors, just chain across cause the doors are being repaired. There complaint was a small crack in the 80yr old windshield that the sticked would hide, and the yellow/red lense in the tail lights. They said if I pump the brakes it would look like (hazard signals) I told them I don't pump the brakes. (they really wanted some $$$$) But its legal and thats a big load of my mind, cause down here they take the plate of the car and call a tow truck (one of there friends) so you don't drive till its fixed. Then you buy a day permit so you can drive it to inspection lane, and go through the same stuff. And there not inspectiors, there police officers who KNOW nothing about cars. And all past infractions are paid before you can be inspected. They don't check brakes, exhaust, body rot, front end ware, no road test, front wheels leaning like there ready to fall of, NO PROBLEM, They check Lights, wipers, horn, E brake, and your good to go. Iceman

30. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

been a while since i've lived in florida (thank god). things have changed i guess.