Register now to get rid of these ads!

Black paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B1RDMAN, Aug 19, 2009.

1. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

Ok, so a friend wants me to do some paint work for him. He's been bustin his ass helping me finish my car so its the least I can do... Its been years since I was anywhere into the painting game. I do my own stuff but product wise I'm outta the loop. In the past if we did gloss black I used either a Dupont Centari cause Merc outboards needed to be a real real crisp glossy black and the dupont withstood salt water real well. And on Cars we used an Imron Gloss Black. Well both are either real hard to get around here, or like the centari is considered garbage by today's standards in auto body supply. So My question is this, I've seen some gloss blacks that Cloud over and look like shit. I want a real nice real hard, crisp whatever you want to call it but real nasty ass gloss black for his stuff. I don't care if its single stage if its nice, base clear whatever. But I want a real good quality gloss black thats going to spray nicely on an old gasser car. hopefully I can get this without needing to hit fort knox to get it.... Any help from you boys painting would surely save me some time and keep my main man happy. Thanks!!

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

For a solid black, absolutely use single stage. I normally use PPG Concept for this. Its very, very, very black. PPG Global is good as well. I would normally preach HOK, but not in this case.

3. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

I'll check the concept out. Thanks.
    HOK I think is too much $$$ I checked on a nice deep emerald green metallic about a month ago and it was way high$$

4. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

r u serious? house of kolor bc 25 basecoat black? its the brownest fucking black ever. spray a coat over saran wrap and hold it up in the son. it looks like a yellowish brown. (hok ss black is a true black, only hok black the kos recommends)

ppg 9700 kills it dead in its tracks. and im not a ppg guy.

sem color horizons black is blacker then hok and is just as black as ppg. sem kicks ass!

matrix has a better black then hok too. mpb 9000.

auto air has a better black then hok. semi opaque black.

only blacks ive used.

5. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

order from coast airbrush.com

hok is very affordable as a system. but u must use the complete system to do it properly. that means using there sealer and epoxy primer up.

ppg would cost wayyy more for there comaparble product. same with dupont.

what was the green?

6. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

ya cuz there base black fukin sucks. i tried to blend hok over sem since i didnt have any and fgured it would be close. but if u look in the sun, u can see the hok were it blends out.

7. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I thought black was just..... black..??

8. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Ok....dumb question, what is the car/truck, whatever? if you already said, then I'm drunk.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

HOK single stage black. The blackest paint there has been in a while. NOT their basecoat black.
    Before that, it used to be R-M Double Deep black.
    I live in Jersey and have no trouble finding Centari.....where are you????????
    Albert Kemperle has been buying up all the body shop supply stores in Jersey, they carry it. Linden, Union, Toms River, Rahway......

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

If you are talking PPG or Dupont, even their fleet lines, have them mix up some Mercedes black. Most blacks have some blue or brown or other tones in it. The Mercedes color is black black black. I recently used some Omni (PPG's lower line) Mercedes Black and it was as black as could be.

11. Mason

Mason

I used Spies/Heckler Base it was basically black toner (It doesn't get any blacker than that) with clear. Came out beautiful, I prefer basecoat/clearcoat because of the durability and depth of the color.

12. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

99 A CENTARI i paint almost every car im keeping that color and that is true black no blue no brown

13. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

most all blacks have brown or blue in them.

14. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

ss black has a cleaner look. bc cc doesnt have the right look like ss does.

15. Mason

Mason

I agree with you on the SS paint for certain cars and I was going to paint my last 51 Ford with SS but once color sanded and buffed a Clearcoat finish will look alot smoother. "If the right look" is being period correct for a traditional I agree SS is more period correct. Either way Black is a pain in the ass......

16. B1RDMAN

B1RDMAN

I used to do body work and paint in Pt Pleasant at All Time, and Van's Auto body and Winter's Yachts. Now I live right near Kemperle in Bordentown but am not in the body business anymore. He wants me to paint an old bike tank and fenders I think BSA... Centari Black it is. I'll find it. I've sprayed it like it and know it lasts long for the money. Yes Black is a pain in the ass.... but nothing like it when its done right. If I get the job, I'll post pic's. Thanks all.

17. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:)

I've spent years studying and thinking about the color black as well as white.....black comes in infinite varieties.

“Black is real sensation, even if it is produced by entire absence of light. The sensation of black is distinctly different from the lack of all sensation.” - Hermann von Helmholtz

18. Fenders

Fenders

I see a line of cars and they're all painted black
    With flowers and my love both never to come back.........

19. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Finally, some words I can understand in this thread :D