Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects State inspection-Who has them!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by butterboy, Aug 20, 2009.

1. butterboy

butterboy

I just finished my 49 chevy fleetline. I say finish but it just became a driver. So my question is : Do you guys worry about getting your rides inspected, or do you just run them with out? If so how long have you gotten away with it? Im wondering if I should be worried about inspection or not. By the way I live in PA.
    Here is a picture of my 49 after it took a long nap in a field since 1978.
    This was the first stop on the first ride.
    0817091931_0001.jpg

2. gahi

gahi
    from Moab, UT

you cant get registration without an inspection.

3. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Here in NY we have annual safety inspections that all cars must undergo. Older cars are not subject to some of the laws that govern newer cars such as safety belts and pollution equipment. However, each car must have a current inspection sticker in place on the lower left of the windshield. Failure to get this sticker could result in a hefty fine. Don't ask...

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

In Texas If you run YOM plates and register as antique you dont have to have an inspection sticker. But your limited on usage.

5. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

historical plates get no inspection in the empire
    NYMA reg is on the hook for emissions , last I looked -lower 7 counties

6. colorado51

colorado51

Here in Colorado, we used to have a saftey inspection many years ago, but not anymore.

Now we have to deal with the damn emmissions test....:mad:

7. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

it's real fuzzy here in NH. Most cops don't know the laws. pre 49 stock antique then no inspection. if it's modified then inspection every 2 years. I drove for a month and a half with no sticker, then got pulled over for it. the cop was real decent and was going to check the law so he let me go. I figured it would be easiest to just get a sticker. lol thank god for friends that have auto shops.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Only the really "tough" guys, the true "rebels", the "lifestyle" guys, don't pay attention to State and Federal automotive laws and run their cars with no license plates(or the one of their wife's car), no safety inspections where required, no titles, no VIN numbers, no floors, open driveshafts inside the car...and so on.
    Of course you have to get the car inspected if the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania requires it!
    Of course, if you have plenty of money to pay fines, plenty of time to spend in court and are a tough rebel lifestyle guy it doesn't matter at all.

(with tongue in cheek)

9. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

Nothing in Illinois except for some emission stuff in the Chicago area, and I think that is only newer cars....the north of I-80 guys can confirm/deny that.

10. sawzall

sawzall

i think running without inspection isnt just a fine anymore,, I think its an automatic trip to the judge.

get a sticker..

11. 5window

5window

The only relevant answers will be from those of us in PA. No inspection, no registration+ no insurance. You have a truck that stands out so you are more likely to be stopped than the white Taurus out there. No registration,no insurance ,no inspection is asking for a big time fine and if you are involved in a traffic accident,woe to you.

Get the forms from AAA or DMV on line, get all you receipts together and make copies. Get your state representative to help run the paperwork through Harrisburg. Ask around and find the best place for inspection. First time on the road is a two step,PIA process.

In the long run, doing it right is a far cry easier from doing it in jail. On the other hand,you could just have it with antique plates and not need inspection, but there are driving and insurance restrictions. You can get those on-line,too.

12. DECKARD sr.

DECKARD sr.

i live in matagorda county, i have yom plates on my 51 fleetline, and registered it as classic. i've asked the courthouse, the local p.d., the sheriffs dept, and a couple of state troopers if i needed inspection. none of them could give me a straight answer. they all thought that it did'nt matter. i'm still not sure, but i drive mine all over Texas without inspection and i've never been harassed. knock on wood....

13. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Since when is Historic exempt from inspection??? I need to get mine done (NY) as it expired at the end of July. NY has 3 inspections, basic safety, brakes, lights, glass, suspension bits, for 25 years and older 10 bucks, Safety and emmissioins, auto fail with check engine light) and Safety and enhanced emissions for the NY metro area. (probably more money) Used to be if your sticker was recently expired, you would get the ticket, have the inspection done, go to court and the jusdge would throw the ticket out, after collecting the NY traffic sticket surcharge and court fees, so even if thee was no fine, you still got nailed for 50 bucks. Now an expired sticker is auto ticket and big bucks.

This years stickers are notorious for having poor adhesive. they are easy to pull off without voiding them. So there is know a black market in stoler inspection stickers.

Folks are reporting that the stickers fall off and blow out the window, or they loosen, some will notice its loose and smash a window and grab it. The state could give you a ticket,for puttig it back on with tape as it was ot permantly affixed. Then they would charge you for the fine and the replacement sticker. Supposedly they have since taken a kinder and gentler approach to the problem.

14. mj40's

mj40's

Same for safety inspections in Idaho but only Ada County at this point for emissions. Older cars are exempt from the emissions inspection and if you run a classic plate no inspection. Classic plate are a 30 year plate so cars from 1965 to 1979 are exempt this year. Needless to say there are 100’s of cars in Ada County running a classic plate from 65 to 79. Example below. And yes the Cobra is a repop!

Attached Files:

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

(Kansas) VIN verification when title transfer, other than that NADA. No smog, no inspection, no nothing, just want their money each year for registration.

What a difference from smog inspections (even on motorcycles) in Arid zona.

16. We retired the inspection several years ago. Amounted to checking lights etc. Now no inspection, just pay registration and go.

17. djmartins

djmartins

If you were a real rebel you'd move to the rebel state of South Carolina where they don't have any safety or emissions inspections.
    You can also fly the Bars and Stars here like all good rebels do.

regards,
    DJ

18. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

If I lived in PA, I would get my business in line. They don't play around in PA! Thank God I live in Texas. It was really easy to get my '63 Buick inspected. All they do is check the lights, horn (not sure if it HAS to work to pass?), and drive it around the block. No trouble with emissions or anything like that.

19. Truckedup

Truckedup

Yeah,inspection in NY state isn't all that strict.
    I think an annual inspection is a good idea if it's done properly and fairly.Many drivers absolutely never check their cars until a tie rod falls off or the brakes give off sparks . I don't like gov't madated stuff but if one of these clowns runs into you,well..............

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we have smog inspections only here in sunny California. though not in every county.

1974 and newer only.

hated that shit. had guys try to screw me more than once. once I didn't pass so I went to another place where I trusted the mechanic. funny how a 5 minute drive cleared out the problem. another dickhead saw a spark plug arcing and did the test anyway. the smog machine is connected to the DMV so the car became a "gross polluter" and I had to go through all sorts of hassle to get it taken care of. all I needed was a new plug..

21. english rob

english rob

every 2 years in nova scotia no smog -it was every year in England smog after 1980

22. Inspections were dropped here in the upstate of South Carolina some years ago,,

They are not a bad idea because some people drive cars that are sub standard,,bald tires,,bad brakes,,no lights,,the only problem where we live if you new the right guy at the local station you could buy a sticker and take it home and put it on the windshield and all was good.

I think the powers that be figured out the problem and just dropped the idea. HRP

23. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Used to in IA... not anymore!

24. Having a "32" every year I bring it down to the local shop for a New York State inspection. The inspector just looks at the tires, the headlights, and wiggle the steering as he watches the steering linkage. That's it. If they look good it passes. Pretty simple. Doesn't even go on a lift. Takes him longer to do the paperwork than the inspection.

In reality I'm the inspector by constantly checking the car to insure everything is working and tight.

I don't know what fines are in PA for no inspection, but they are steep here in NY.

Just get a sticker.

25. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

So when the local Pa. cop pulls you over and either gives you a ticket or has your ride impounded you can just give him a print out of this post. I'm sure he will be moved by the laws from the other states and he will understand.:rolleyes:

I'm betting you are still young. Nothing wrong with that but please learn quickly that it doesn't pay to mess with the police. Don't try to out smart them, fool them or resist them. There are too many hot rods in Pa. to make it impossible to comply. Do what they require and enjoy driving your ride for years to come. I was a registered Md. state inspector but I won't bore you or the readers with our laws that have no affect on you.

26. [QUOTE the smog machine is connected to the DMV so the car became a "gross polluter" and I had to go through all sorts of hassle to get it taken care of. all I needed was a new plug..[/QUOTE]

Your shitting me?

You mean you can be blacklisted by the Cali DMV b/c when your ride didnt pass the test the testing machine/computer is linked to the DMV computer and automatically the car becomes classified a polluter?

I can see this happening here with all this bullshit carbon emissions scheme apranoia ....guess who theyre gonna target first?? Scary shit.

Asswipes.

Rat

27. tex34ford

tex34ford

why not just register it like a stock '49 Chevy? If you can't do that for some reason register it as a street rod? With the SR plate you need the full annual inspection except you don't need the emission inspection. There are no driving limitations with the SR plate like there are with antique or collector plates. When you fill out the app. for the SR plate you need receipts for the vehicle and parts, this is because the state wants to verify that you have paid the sales tax due them. I've been driving my '34 for 18 years with the SR plate with no hassles at all. Don't drive without a sticker. HTH

28. George T G

George T G

The only driveing restristions on an antique is no daley driveing. THe insurance thing is up to the company you have. Some don't put mileage limits on. The old thing about no night driveing is BS. If the lights qualify you can dirive it anytime..
    It's not just the paperwork the first time around you need to go to an ENHANCED insp station were they do inspections for reconstructions. They can be a pain.
    Harrisburg with there paperwork is a real pain. They kept insisting on reciepts on a 40 year old build. All they wanted was there Sales Tax.

29. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

And thank Heaven for that, the annual has been gone since the 70's and the transfer inspection has been gone since the 80's.
    If there is one thing I don't miss about living elsewhere is the stupid annual car inspection. What a screw job. Vehicle saftey inspections are akin to the old duck-and-cover campaigns. They are a real false sense of security.

30. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Wow. Whole lotta replies here that have nothing at all to do with your question on PA inspections.

Of course you can get a registration and insurance on the car separate from the inspection and you HAVE to or they'll make you park it if pulled over. Besides, not doing that is just plain stupid.

PA Classic tags are a one time registration fee (15 years or older), but you still have to get the car inspected every year and the car has to be bone stock original. Antique tags (25 years or older) make you exempt from inspection and again it's a one time registration fee. Again, original cars only. I'm not sure on the Street Rod tags, but I don't believe they exempt you from inspection.

Again, the car has to be bone stock for Antique tags. There were State cops walking around at York the other year pulling antique tags if people had aftermarket wheels, etc. Those people were out the $75 - $100 tag fee.

With regular tags, the beauty is that from the front, a cop can't tell if you have antique tags or regular when he sees no inspection sticker. From the rear with a regular plate, you're legal (registration) except for no sticker on the windshield. This theory doesn't work as well for a ratty car, obviously.

I'm not running a sticker on my in-progress car because of things like no wipers(which inspection stations frown upon, I guess they've never used RainX?). I've gotten no tickets in 3 or 4 years of driving 2 different vehicles that way. The cops I've seen have given me more 'thumbs up' than anything. And I've even been pulled over for other stuff a time or two.

When PA offers a plate that allows non-stock antique cars to get 'antique' tags that are inspection exempt, I'll play along. For now, I'll take my chances and just keep the registration/ insurance up.

Do what you want, but the best advice is to ignore out of state people quoting PA inspection/ registration rules and if you choose not to run a sticker for a while, don't do burnouts down Main St.