Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oil stains

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jester5388, Aug 19, 2009.

1. jester5388

jester5388

what is the best thing around the house to get oil stains off of the street so the neighbors dont get pissed off at you and write you another citation? my car likes to let people know it was there!!!!:)

2. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

3. skunx1964

skunx1964

pressure washer

4. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

It doesnt leak it marks its territory :)

There is this stuff called simply green that is a biodegradable degreaser. You can wash it down the storm drain with out killin the fishies

5. 53hauler

53hauler

6. moter

moter

kitty litter..rub it in with your foot,,,sweep up

7. madmak95

madmak95

citation??..... sounds like u need new neighbors not stain remover....

8. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

If you see an Ameripride Uniform truck ask the driver if he can get you a gallon of "Simply Better" before I retired my neighbors bought it from me a lot,about $10 a gallon it is bio-degradable industrial strength and will even remove scum from shower doors and stainless too,to use it as a glass cleaner you cut it 150 to 1 it is Tough stuff.

9. millersgarage

millersgarage

Laundry detergent poured directly on the stain, let sit a while, scrub and rinse.
    Works best when stain is fresh.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Powdered laundry detergent, just enough water to make it pasty, and a push broom.

11. Mack81

Mack81
    from Tennessee

I throw on kitty litter, grind it in with a board and then hit it with some laundry soap, brush it in and spray off. Works good for me.

12. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Hey wait a damn minute I thought I invented the kitty litter and grinding it with a board deal, WTF.

13. Mack81

Mack81
    from Tennessee

Learned it from an old employer that how we did the shop floor.

14. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

More oil. Then tell your neighbors to F.O.

15. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

16. I sell products used by contractors for cleaning large oil and gas spills. You do not want to flush anything to the storm drain. It's against the Clean Water Act. Big fines!!
    Down and dirty way to deal with it as long as it doesn't go down the drain: get some neutral spirits and some cheap kitty litter. Pour the spirits onto the spill making sure none runs off. Immediately pile an inch or so of kitty litter on top. Wait until it is completely dry and sweep all of it up. You can down dispose of the litter at your municipal haz waste pick up or save it for the next spot. You may need to do it more than once if it's been there a while.
    Because of the VOC's this may be illegal in some areas with tight air quality regs.

17. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the simple green doesn't have anything hazderous in it, great stuff too.

18. Special Ed

Special Ed

Yes, but the Simple Green merely disperses the oil. It doesn't eliminate it. If you hose it down, it is still oil and it will still get you in trouble. He's already had a "citation".
    I like Simple Green, also. Don't get me wrong. But kitty litter is the way to actually "pick up" the oil...

19. evolvo

evolvo
    from Seattle

Pore a can of Coke on it, sweep vigorously with kitty litter. Then sit back and think about what Coke does to your insides.

20. rottenrod

rottenrod

i like brake clean but i suppose that would get you in trouble enviromentally too

21. HOTROD40COUPE - Does that stuff work like it says, or is it Snake Oil?...

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I use kitty litter to remove oil stain on concrete; Put on some grubby shoes, sprinkle kitty litter on the stain, then shuffle around on it, back and forth. broom it off and marvel at the result.

23. Truckedup

Truckedup

Say it's the garbage truck leaking hydraulic oil.
    You can't park off road? I used to live at a place and park my vehicle in the road.It had a Exxon Valdez class oil leak.One time I slipped and fell on my own oil slick.

24. skunx1964

skunx1964

haha, thats my 72 gmc all the way. i almost killed myself goin to get the mail one mornin when i parked somewhere else. :D

25. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

26. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

ULTRA DAWN, water and a scrub brush.

My friend who was a lobsterman in Massachusetts used to pour a whole bottle of Dawn into his bilge (old wooden 28' boat) every morning and let it slosh around while he drank his coffee. Then he'd fire up his bilge pump
    and empty the bilge, never leaving any indication of a rainbow or slick in the harbor water.

Great stuff. It dissolves oil & grease and cleans about anything. If it's not working, keep adding more Dawn til it does.

But, you could also park in front of your neighbors houses so they have stains too.............then take Imperial Customs advice and tell them to FO.

27. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Oil eater works great. http://www.oileater.com/. Its $9.95 for a gallon plus full spray bottle at Costco. Awesome stuff.

28. jester5388

jester5388

haha i think the neighbors know better than that. especially when the stain is in the form of a tire tread going from your garage to the street... messy oil change

29. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Kitty litter always worked for me. It's cheaper than oil-dry and it works just as nicely.

30. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Worked on the stains in my driveway.