Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods My new,...Old Hot Rod Shop !!! 1937 Mobil Station

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Joe T Creep

Joe T Creep
    Member Emeritus

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow wow wow wow wow
    we dont get stuff like that in so cal. wow

2. superbeeme

superbeeme
    from georgia

Congrats and I hope you have fun in your new venture. If you were closer to me I'd drop in and say hay.

3. Lucky77

Lucky77

Way cool Dennis, congrats. I looked into buying an old service station from the 50's in Auburn but the ground was contaminated. Maybe next time Frank comes up to visit you I'll tag along.

4. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

Congrats man, you have a real GEM in this imperfect world. ENJOY. God Bless. Perley

5. Amazing the building survived. Say, you might want to check into the historical society and see what history they may have as well, pictures, etc..HAVE FUN!!

6. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

Hell, I would be bragging, that place is truly awesme!!
    There is an old gargae similar to that one here that would make an awesome speed shop or old time rod shop. Just like your story, family has it all tied up and it just sits there getting old and starting to fall apart.
    I wish more people would take these old places and make them something cool.
    Good luck to you, and please keep us posted!!

7. MoonshineRoyal

MoonshineRoyal

I am so friggin jealous right now. But at least I know the possibility is out there to own a small shop of my own.

Sincere congratulations to you Harms Way. I'd be grinning from ear to ear and showing it off too if it was mine. I love that curved front and all the automobilia in your office.

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Last week and this week "I have been busier than a long tail cat in a room full of rocking chairs !" (and still playing catch up) So I won't be able to post any new shots until next week,..... but here are a few from over the last two years.:) 100_1757.jpg 100_1758.jpg 100_1759.jpg 100_1855.jpg 100_2683.jpg 100_2684.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2023
  9. felee

felee

Great find and story! I grew up in West Branch and spent some of my mis spent youth in the Houghton/Higgins lakes area as well as Roscommon and St. Helen. That building looks familiar but then its been 40 years and between the some-timers and the deja vu thing a LOT of things are starting to look familiar! If your not ready to let the whole HAMB in on the location just yet, PM me and I would be happy to fill you in on the history of the area-at least as I remember things. I still get up through there occasionally and would love to see the place. Congratulations! and God Bless,
    Lee

10. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

That's awsome Dennis!! you lucky guy!!!

11. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That's really cool! What I wouldn't do for a set-up like that...

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

That totally rules
    glad you scored it and kept it from the wrecking ball..
    up around Higgins Lake? or on the way ?
    I think i may know that building, my folks have a place on Houghton Lake, and we occationally take the scenic routes up there. route 18 or old 27? there are a few other north routes i cant remember the #'s

what town did you say this is in? maybe I will have to stop the next time i drive thru there, stop and say hi, its been a few years since i have been up that way

Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  13. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

if the tanks are gone and the pump is just to make it look original the EPA shouldn't have any say so over it. I've seen a lot of those mobile pumps restored and for sale at the swap meets.

14. That is great! I've always thought about something like that but never put in the effort. Congrats!

15. gotra66

gotra66

That is so cool. I read all the post in this thread and everyone seems happy/jealous of you. (me included). Please keep posting updates. I would love to get a chance to make it up there to see in person.

16. 4t7flat

4t7flat

As a kid I was in one of those cars that passed that station on Friday night on our way to Houghton Lake. Not sure of the town but we made stops along the way. We always stopped in Pinconning on the way up,for cheese and meat. One time my dad had to hitch hike to Standish for a fuel pump for our 41 Ford. He found the pump at a gas station,and the owner drove him back to our car.

17. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I wanna hear more braggin like this.
    We have some cool old stations in Az too but I would have no idea as to go about getting one unless it was fer sale with a sign outside.
    You deserve everything good from now on.
    Inside pics, and more braggin.

18. some guys have all the luck...

19. twochops

twochops

Since your are the owner of a 1937 Mobil Station,you probably would
    enjoy see a 1934 MOBIL road map.-----------TwoChops

Attached Files:

20. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That is awesome!

I love it!

You should be proud.

I'd be excited about it all myself.

Thanks for sharing.

-W

21. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

VERY COOL. You'll have to set aside time for your cars, because you'll be anxious to constantly fix the shop. All your car buddys will want to hang out there, give them a paint brush and put them to work. Lots of good BBQ's there in the future - Enjoy!

22. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

23. William Engwer

William Engwer

Major cool. Building hot rods in a vintage gas station. That qualifies as dying and going to heaven...without the dying part.

24. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

That's very cool. That would be my dream, but in this climate:D

25. BigRed390

BigRed390

Awesome place! Love everything about it! Keep us posted with updates.

26. Hot Rod Dirty's

Hot Rod Dirty's
    from KY

Very Nice. Can't wait to see how it turns out

27. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

That's amazing man. What are your renovation plans? Any EPA type cleanup required?

28. 30roadster

30roadster

I drive by old stations all the time and tell my wife i wish they were in our backyard. Looks like a nice place! ....I'd love to see the flying pegasus back up where she should be!

29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Man.... I hate you...

That is RAD.

30. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor