Register now to get rid of these ads!

sharp with 3 97's good for the street?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by karfer67, Aug 15, 2009.

1. karfer67

karfer67

i am getting an original sharp 3 carb intake with a trio of 97's from a close friend for my 50 shoebox. my question is the engine is otherwise stock will this be able to be tuned to work on a stock motor? i see speedway sells a block off plate to block the center carb would that be better as i have read that 2 carbs work better on the street. thanks in advance

2. bukibkr

bukibkr

You'll be fine. Set them up progressively ,so they don't just all open at once. 97's are finiky. Unless your running the stock fuel pump, put a pressure regulator before the fuel block and keep pressure down to about 3 or 4 PSI at the Carbs

3. karfer67

karfer67

i read somewhere that it should be set at 2 1/2 psi that seems really low to me. and thats also what i thought i will set them up progressive not all at once.

4. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Fuel pressure, 2 1/2 to 3 psi max..Progressive should work fine..shut the air/fuel mixing screws on the secondaries.
    Duane.

5. I've got a 2x2 with 97's in my '50 Ford. I did alot of reading about the stock fuel pump, pressure regulators, etc. when I set it up. I read (most likely here) that if you raise the stock fuel pump up it shortens the pump stroke and lowers the pressure. To raise it up, rather than using a stock fuel pump gasket, use 2 or 3 of the water neck gaskets. They fit just fine and are thicker.

That's what I did on mine. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge so I don't know if it actually worked BUT my carbs don't leak so I'm happy with it :D

6. sensor

sensor

just make sure you float that 94 my way!
    ive already got one for the 31 but always willing to use more

7. karfer67

karfer67

hey buddy found me here too this is my other home other than ratrodbikes. anyways i have another 94 holley in the trunk that is taken apart if u want it then its yours. but this setup is mine lol. cant wait to get the carbs rebuilt, straight pipe the exhuase and such.

8. silent rick

silent rick

is it necessary to change the throttle plates on the secondaries, to keep any air from leaking past when the are supposed to be shut?

9. If I can run 3 97s on my Flathead 6 and its just mildly worked, I think you should be fine. But running progressively is your best bet. A old timer I hang out with has three 97s on his flathead in his 47 Ford and it runs great. Just tune them right.

10. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

The 3's will look way cool but I wouldn't run all 3 myself, I would run 2 of them and dummy the middle one to look like it is functional but no gas feed. The 2 carbs will be more than enough for powering your motor and with the price of gas nowadays it is really just a waste of money to run 3 or more unless you are into using the power regularly. Just MHO. There is a ton of info on multi-carb tuning and linkage available.

11. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Silent Rick..You can. I hold the base up to the light and see if any light comes through around the throttle plates..It's really hard to get them perfect. What I've found is trying different throttle plates, they seem to be different in size. You can also, silver solder the plates and machine to fit..
    Duane.

12. A Rodder

A Rodder

How would running the outside two carbs with none progressive linkage be better a better mileage setup that three carbs being ran progressive? I have 3 97's on a sbc, they are ran at 2.5 psi of pressure and work great. As far as the outside carbs, the idle screws are in all the way and the butterflies need to be closed otherwise, you will be running air thru them with no fuel and it will be lean and probably give some idle issues.

13. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

31ACoupe..Gotta be carefull about the plenum area in the intake. The air/fuel needs to flow to feed the runners of the center cylinders..If it's an open plenum intake it will work with the two outside ones "BUT" I would run the 3x2 with progressive linkage..
    Duane.

14. karfer67

karfer67

i am also getting a 2 carb intake not sure who made it yet. i agree that might work better just about everyone i have talked to says since i plan to leave the motor mostly stock stick with 2 carbs