Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Les Paul Father of Rock N Roll?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Aug 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank spittle

frank spittle

We lost Les Paul, one of the American's greatest musicians, on August 13. It is widely known he was the inventor of the electric guitar and one of it's greatest players. Many of the "greatest" guitarist consider him the greatest including Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen and Eric Clapton. They all say he was the one they aspired to be. He also is credited with inventing multi-track recording, something that would be essential in Rock N Roll. But for me it goes even futher. For me he IS the "father" of Rock N Roll. I was only 7 years old in 1951 when he and his wife Mary Ford recorded "How High The Moon". It sounded like no other record I had ever heard. The guitar solos made me rock. "How High The Moon" went to #1 on the Billboard and Cashbox charts in June of 1951, a full four years before "Rock Around The Clock" did. "Rocket 88" was also released at the very same time by both Ike Turner and Bill Haley. Neither one made the top 40 in 1951. To give you an example of how outragious "How High The Moon" was in 1951, on June 23rd when it was #1 on the Cashbox charts the other top 5 were "Too Young to Know" by Nat King Cole; "Jezebel" by Frankie Lane; "On Top Of Old Smokey" and "Sound Off" both by Vaughn Monroe. Now I am not taking anything away from "Rocket 88". It is a great song and a sentimental favorite on this board. But for me "How High The Moon" started it all. RIP Les Paul.

2. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

are you this late with the news? it's already been on here. and what does it have to do with hot rods?

3. Hey_Pauly

Hey_Pauly

4. Larry T

Larry T

Great artist, contributed much to the music industy. Father of Rock & Roll? I kinda doubt it.
    Larry T

5. frank spittle

frank spittle

zman,

I don't think I am late on the news. I have not seen anything on this board about his death and I have looked for a post every day. Maybe I missed it. Can you post a link. As far as what does it have to do with Hot Rods. I think Rock N Roll legend's deaths have a lot to do with Hot Rods. I would not have known about Billy Lee Riley's death if it wasn't posted here. Billy Lee Riley's thread had no objections. I hope HAMB members will continue letting us know when we lose a special person.

6. dean37

dean37

Post this on a rock n roll forum. I'm sure everyone saw this on the news.

7. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Hey Frank,
    I posted one of three threads (that I saw) on here when I heard.The threads were deleted as "off-topic?"
    Sad news indeed.
    Yes,Les Paul is relevent to hot rods.Music/sound recording (funny,there's any numbers of tech threads on mp3 installation,radio mods and "what's the best antenna for my hot rod threads...)is a daily addition to any of our lives?

Funny,how flat track motorcycles and period "other-stuff" is fodder for thought on here,but music isn't?

8. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Les was a "period" musician and innovator.......His tinkering was no different than what hot rod guys were doing, just a different medium

9. frank spittle

frank spittle

Thanks, Ryan. I don't look at Rock N Roll threads. It takes all my spare time just to look at the HAMB and then I only have time to post occasionally. Les Paul is important enough to me to post his death.

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

He had a long "period" of innovation.Right up to his death.

11. Hang in there Frank..You'll find out the longer you hang around the HAMB ,the more mysterious is what's "On Topic" and what's "Off Topic"

Stan

12. Frank... Les Paul did NOT invent the electric guitar, he invented the solid body electric guitar. Charlie Christian, one of the fathers of jazz guitar, used an electrified guitar with magnetic pickup and amplifier many years before LP came on the scene. Rickenbacker built the first electric guitar in the 1920s.What PL did was to mount the neck, bridge and pickup on a plank of wood and add the body of an f-hole guitar to it for cosmetic purposes. This was then downsized and became what we know as the Les Paul style guitar.

13. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

14. frank spittle

frank spittle

roadrat

I agree. While Hot Rodders were "souping up" their cars in the 30s-40s-50s Les was doing the same with his guitars. And yes Ryan he played right up til about two weeks before his death at 94.

15. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

X2
    And it depends on who posts it. Don't try to say otherwise...

Let's kill all the music posts, and airplane posts and folks of interest posts, fund raising, help so and so and...
    Sheee-it. Some people need an enema.

And for the record... Les Paul, Rickenbacker and Mr. Fender all created their electric guit-boxes about the same time. Each were great innovators.

Charlie Christian was THE man...

If you can't see how R&R and hot rods go together... that's just sad for you. You must be fun at a cruise-gathering.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  16. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Roadrat right on ......!

17. frank spittle

frank spittle

rockabillybassman,

Thanks for that history lesson. I had always heard he invented the electric guitar.

18. kingfishhotrods

kingfishhotrods

I think Gibson did more for Les Paul's legacy than Les Paul did for Les Paul's legacy. He was A good player, but as a guitar player myself. he was not a great player.

19. mj40's

mj40's

frank splittle thanks for posting. First I had heard but then again I have been on the road the last week.

20. frank spittle

frank spittle

"somewhere there's music
    how near, how far
    somewhere there's heaven,
    that's where you are"

"How High The Moon" 1951

How many times has that song been played in your Hot Rod?

21. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Well...
    A man died......that sucks.
    One way or another, he contributed to rock 'n roll.....that's great!
    Bickering over BS......that sucks.

......movin' on.....

22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Maybe he was not a great player in his 80s and 90s but I doubt if anyone could play better in the early Fifties. But that is just an opinion of someone who can't play a guitar.

23. pinman 39

pinman 39

Richie put this up several days ago and was booted out OT.

King of Roc-n-Role No !

24. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Les was awesome! People "in the business" All lauded his talent. Period. R.I.P. Les Paul and Thanks!

Les & Mary did a superb job on "How High the Moon". ..I agree Frank...a young 50's Hot Rod kind of rendition..Cool to me too at the time

(originally done in 1940 on Broadway by Alfred Drake and Frances Comstock, later done by many..Marvin Gaye, Dave Brubeck,Johnny Mathis , Nat King Cole..&others)

25. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Did anyone hear about michael jackson's death

26. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

I stayed in a holiday inn express last night

( with my 34 ford / olds powered /6 stromberg 97's / engle cam / columbia 2 speed rear/ lincoln zephyer trans......) Parked outside.

27. frank spittle

frank spittle

King of Roc-n-Role No !

Thanks for your opinion. That's the reason I put a ? at the end of title.

28. frank spittle

frank spittle

29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

This can be talked about in the music group...

that sort of thing is allowed...

just saying...

30. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Definately not the father of Rock and Roll, but quite a muscisian anyhow. RIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.