Register now to get rid of these ads!

Header Flange Minimum Thickness?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Heckler, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

Quick question......I'm building some headers for an old Lincoln V12 flathead.

I bought a kit, but I am going to have to make my own flanges from scratch.

Ideally I'd like to go with 5/16" steel, but the thickest my supplier could come up with yesterday was 1/4".

Is this thick enough?

Thanks!

Ben

2. squirrel

squirrel

1/4 is probably the minimum, although I've seen cheap production headers with thinner flanges. Might depend on how far apart the bolt holes are, how hot it will get, etc....

3. 1/4" is just ok. Lots of people have used it, 5/16" is better.

Try another supplier. Easier to make a change now, than try to fix it later.

4. budd

budd

3/8" why go thinner? it wont cost but $5 bucks more if your having them made. what the hell kind of metal supplier doesnt have 5/16", or 3/8", 1/2", 1",2" or any other thickness you want?

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009

5. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Try these guys, haven't bought anything from them (yet) but the parts seem good. I spoke with Kevin there a while ago and he said they would be producing lincoln v12 flanges soon.

http://www.victoryheaderflanges.com/

6. Heckler

Heckler
    from Austin, TX

Thanks for all the tips! :)

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

I inside welded tubes to 1/4" flange and got 1/8" of warp at ends. I was able to heat and hammer to flat, but would say 5/16" min.

8. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

1/4" is fine as long as ya don't go crazy hot and weld as fast as ya can. I have built 100+ sets of headers with 1/4" flanges and kept the flange flat. I have used 3/8' flanges for the past 3-4 years because my customers want a heavy flange.

It's also been my experience that you don't warp the flange when you weld the flange, you warp the flange when you weld the header.