Register now to get rid of these ads!

what suspension replaces the Mustang II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rcnut223, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

Dropped front axle. You want it lower and cheap Sids Dropped Axles can hook you up. They are online. I think you have to send in a core though.

2. attastude

attastude

I have a truck mag that has an installation of a 70'-80-'s gm pickup crossmember+ suspension. they had to ad 1/2" spacer plates between the frame and the crossmember, then bolt it on. they also used the later gm steering box,etc.

3. Razorshotrods

Razorshotrods
    from Phoenix

Stick with stock, i have a 55 and installed drop axle and lowering springs from brothers. Cheaper and easier than MII. I have a 400hp 350 in it with drum brakes also.

4. Quit looking for one. I would have sworn that there were no MII or Pinto/Bobcat's left in the world a couple of years ago when I was looking for one. Since I quit looking they periodically fall out of the sky in front of me. I see them everywhere now.

5. Yes and for the record, Mustang II and pinto are the same thing. People used to call every Pinto front end a "Mustang II" because it sounded so lame to say the front suspension came out of a pinto...

6. jerry

jerry

7. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

If you don't want to do the mustang II swap either a 64-74 Nova or 74-81 Camaro would work just fine. Check you local Craigslist. I have one I'd give you for free but you'd have to figure out a way to get it from Cali. There are a ton of aftermarket parts for these. Airbags, dropped spindles and what not. I'm putting a Camaro subframe in my 49 Cadillac now. Here's a picture of the freebe.

Attached Files:

8. Swifster

Swifster

X10
    Just rebuild what you have. Even if you found a MII, you'd have to rebuild that as well.

9. j-dogg

j-dogg

I need that if he doesn't want it.

10. Bingo.

11. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

I'll be headed up to Sac sometime this week for another HAMB member. If you want it and he doesn't let me know.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Pinto/Bobcat from 1974-80 is same as Mustang II, 1974-78. Lots of them still around. The early Pintos 71-73 have the clamp-on steering rack and are NOT the ones to be using under hotrods.

13. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I appreciate the offer on the nova/camaro subframe. Can't figure out how I could get that thing back to WI for a reasonable price.

One Gentlemen that lives in CT, was so kind as to offer up a complete MMII . Anyone headed west?:)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Camaro or firebird or nova sub frame will work.Some of the early frames the steering box is in front of the cross member. Some were in the rear 67 -69 .Nova I don't know what year probably all the way up to 76-77 All disc cars.

15. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

16. 53chevpickup

53chevpickup
    from Australia

Hope this helps.
    Although I am in Australia the basics still apply.
    I used a HQ Holden which is very similar to the Comaro of the late 60's early 70's from what I can gather. here are some pics. Its not that hard and seems to work fine. Sorry about the pic its not that great.
    [​IMG]

17. How about recomending the AD Truckers page on here? A world of information on there of what works and more! By the way, if I was to change from my dropped axle (www.droppedaxles.com) I would go with the S-10 K member that uses the stock frame and the generic S-10 or G body readily common parts! Can you say cheap! Read all about it!!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  18. Try Scott Danforth, he is the one making the S-10 K member and has great pics!

19. HotRodBen1987

HotRodBen1987
    BANNED

Yeah late sixties early seventies camaro or nova clip would work well and be cheap.

20. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I vote rebuilding the stock suspension on the cheap, if you can't find a MII. It'll be an easy job for the 15 year old to get his hands dirty. Either that, or get to doing other jobs such as body work while waiting for a MII to pop up.

You can always update the truck down the road with a MII, etc., even if the truck has made it through paint w/o messing anything up.

21. truckerdaddy66

truckerdaddy66

I have'nt heard anyone using a 98- 2003 camaro ,firebird crossmember mc-ferson strut set up . You will have to straighten frame rails ,make them about 34 inches wide. box them and add a strong x -member up front .Make strut mounts out of 1/4,and 3/8 plate and bolt in camaro x-member . I using one in a 66 ford f100 ,with stock ford springs, 300 six ,3speed .used 82 chevy pu master cylinder and block,and powersteering pump off same truck.This setup gave me p.s.,rackpinion ,diskbrakes for a cheap price.PS. strut towers were'nt that hard to make.Should be able to use older chevy small block ,or bolt in a ls1 motor.I've got about 4000 miles on it and so far have had no problems.I plan on installing some front springs off a 96 f150 ,the 66 springs are sagging 43 years old.I spent 250.00 on complete setup from side to side. And have around 400.00 total GOOD LUCK! Fred

22. Larry T

Larry T

What is the track width of the Camaro compaired to the truck? I thought they were a little wider.
    Larry T

23. Chevs Of The Forties sells a bolt-on crossmember for these trucks. Worth looking into.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

FYI: A MII just went up on the HAMB classifieds for $150

25. ken1939

ken1939

Scotty speaks the truth. I ran my 1939 Chevy Business coupe for 3 years with the original straight axel, Original front brakes. All I added from Chassis Engineering was a power steerting box mount and some cross steering stuff. Reversed the leaf spring eyelets and lowered the car 3 inches. Worked like a charm.

26. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

Thanks for the help, I am sorry I have not had access to a computer for a couple days. I appreciate all the suggestions, I have spoken with a few of you via the phone and while a stock rebuilld is viable we have decide to do a mustang II.

Thanks Mike

27. Pinto and mustang II are the same. I just sounds more high tech to say Mustang.

'62 C-10 is a pretty easy swap and works real well. Granted its not very high tech but were are hot rodders not street rodders right?

28. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

I hear the 03 and newer crown vic front ends swap nicely on to Ford F series.

29. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

bingo!