Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Econoline Madness Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kornfedlifer, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Hellfish

Hellfish

You need a 64-65 6 cyl. Mustang radiator. It will fit, but you'll have to reverse the mounting flanges. I got a brand new one for around $100, flipped the flanges and used it for a year or 2 until I pulled the 170 to drop in a 302. It kept the van cool even in 100+ weather.

Yeah, fresh-air grilles are part of the bezel, so when Karma said he needed headlight grilles...

2. rev106

rev106

I don't even have a shroud on mine and it stays cool.

3. Calvin349

Calvin349
    from Oregon

I figured the doghouse was the shroud. My bad.

4. rev106

rev106

No I mean a fan shroud. I should put one on the though. Project #312!

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

They stayed cool from the factory without a fan shroud, so you shouldn't need one, but adding one would help. The cooling on these trucks was marginal at best, so anything you can do to help is good.

6. Calvin349

Calvin349
    from Oregon

Well the Rad is from a 289 car of the correct year. The begger is not going to be choosy and I will see if I can make it work. Maybe the inlet and outlet is all wrong. Now to find a pic of the van rad since I am not at home.

If it does not work maybe I can find a guy with an i6 rad that wants a v8 one

I might also be going parts shopping this evening...

7. Hellfish

Hellfish

I believe the v8 inlet/outlet is in the wrong location, but you might be able to get it to work... or drop in a 240 or SBF v8 and it will be right! :D

8. Calvin349

Calvin349
    from Oregon

Well the Van has a 240 Inline-6 if that is what you mean. I really need to spend less time at work so I can get all this figured out rather than all this webmodding junk. The hope to fit radiator is in the truck of the car.

Get this thing rolling again and I can have me a big truck sale.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Yeah, 240=I6. 240 and 300 are Ford "Big 6" inlines. I thought you said you had a 170.

The stock 240 radiator was longer than the 144/170 and was OK for cooling v8s. I would think the 289 radiator would work. The mounting flange may need to be flipped (cut off and rewelded) like when fitting a Mustang I6 radiator though. Not 100% sure about the inlet/outlets though. Get out there and check. I wanna know. :D

10. Calvin349

Calvin349
    from Oregon

ok just in looking at them with the original in the hole and the 289 in front of the house.

Inlet and outlet are the same. The fill cap on the van is centered and the 289 rad is a bit to the driver side. The mounting tabs will need to be swapped between them. I do not think flipping them is enough as the van tabs stick out and the mustang ones do not.

Other than that is looks like a nice fit, length and all.

Makes me happy.

I will take pics when I make the swap.

11. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

So has anyone successfully completed a substantial front end drop that doesn't drive like shit? I gotta know.

12. Hellfish

Hellfish

I've seen lots of them lowered, but those who have pulled it off usually aren't too forthcoming about HOW they did it... but I've never heard of one riding nicely after lowering.

13. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

seems to me that someone could make some money making an axle or something for these. There seems to be no shortage of us who want to do it.

14. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

It isnt just an axle probem. Its the clearance between the tire and the wheel housing. If you raise the wheelhouse, It seats the driver higher than comfortable. I'm thinking the best way is to raise the wheelhouse and locate some thinner seat bottoms.
    As for me, stock height seems just right,

15. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Are there other steering issues or just clearance?

16. rev106

rev106

The pitman arm also seems to be a problem, look back further on this thread and you'll see a lot of info on lowering one of these. They look cool but that's it. I'm keeping mine stock.

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

clearance, steering, shocks, etc. Everything up front is adversely affected by lowering. You pretty much have to re-engineer the entire front of the truck to make it work... which is why you don't see too many lowered.

18. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

So has anyone ever attempted IFS?

19. erock805

erock805

The Pitman arm has to be moved. If you go as low as me (and dont gotoo much taller tires) you wont have wheel clearance if you take an inch off each side of the axle. Super imporant.

The guy who has done mine gets alot of inquires about getting theres done tell the price comes up... To make em low takes ton o work. If I did it again I would s10 clip it (gasp). I think Chad (dante)knows of a couple clipped.

Everything looks better lower!

20. mothradeath

mothradeath

i cant wait to see how road apples project is coming along. looks like hes got big things going on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. dante81_98

dante81_98
    1. A-D Truckers

I do know of some clipped, but none that move under their own power. Roadapple's rig is going to be tits when it hits the road.

And I am one of the many that have asked Lowboy about doing an econoline. And even with the club member discount it was more than I am willing to spend at the moment. I do have a drop axle for it now so it will be static dropped real low very shortly after I get it back on the road.

22. AD

AD

i just got one, a 61 panel, w/ two windows on the side doors,, pretty good shape, it runs pretty good too, best 500 bucks i ever spent. woulad any of ya'll know where to get new weatherstripping? , or a new windshield for that matter?

23. 54pumpjack

54pumpjack

24. h2omonkey

h2omonkey
    from vegas

anyone ever seen any of these in the states? german manufactered

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/izo2RmYtTBE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/izo2RmYtTBE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

25. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

This thing, and the bare metal chopped truck on the first page are bad ass! Regardless if anyone likes them, you gotta appreciate all the work that went into them! Look at all those pillars!
    T

26. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I know these arent Econolines, but I took this pic in Hollywood years ago and thought id add to this thread.. Looks like they were used as company vans..
    [​IMG]

27. rev106

rev106

Those vans are still there! They have been there for over 20 years by now.

28. motorhead711

motorhead711

Damn that is a sweet van!!

29. fuzzy bunny

fuzzy bunny

That van was way cooler before they sign painted it.

30. Nitro Marty

Nitro Marty

Here's a "work horse" that I see, all the time, around town here.
    It belongs to the owner of Stewart's Heating & Air Conditioning and is a part of their regular fleet of sevice vehicles..... Kind of a blast from the past everytime I see it in daily traffic.

I took these photos in the alley behind my house while the truck was being used on a service call for the church next door.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009