Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna learn to do sheet metal work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by smith32, Aug 14, 2009.

1. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Sheesh! I've seen half million dollar budget builds with plastic filler all over them, don't feel at all bad 'bout 1/8'' of mud!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Or that much or more primer. We discussed this on another group, how good is good? Everyone has their own definition.

3. I believe the EASTWOOD COMPANY has some video's on metal shaping and they also sell the tools. Iam a self taught tinsmith and experience is I found the best teacher but learning from a pro can teach you tricks you would never know otherwise. Happy tin bashing , Rob.

4. BCR

BCR

Most of the bare metal stuff you see just looks perfect and if you shot black paint the imperfections would show up. A true metal finish is not easy to achieve. The first 90% of straight is fairly simple and then the read on the metal becomes complicated. You won't be able to see it any more, you will have to feel it or work it out with a guide coat of some sort.

As far as a tech school teaching you this, I feel you would be better off taking a class from a master metal shaper. Join metalmeet and do a search.

My .02 Mike

5. tdoty

tdoty

And don't bet on that either. Some of the best stuff I've seen was done with homemade tools and mostly by hand. Quite a bit of that work was done by a guy who has been shaping metal for less than 10 years. He may have had 15 years in the body shop before that, but has only been banging stuff out for about 10 years now. 6 years ago, he quit his day job and went full time with metalshaping.

I, however, agree that there comes a point where good enough really is good enough. After that it's all bragging rights.

Tim D.

6. Jalopy Jim gave me the heads up on Metalmeet. Sound like what the Dr ordered.
    I'm for sure going hit it.

7. 2manytoys

2manytoys
    from Fresno

Thanks guys, That makes me feel better. Heres the fender in bare metal and the guide coat sanded. These fenders were beat to death and one had a 6" gash in it. I have a few homemade tools and a Harbour Freight hammer and dolly set. I need to put some 90 deg flanges on the rear door skins this week so I will be making a jig to hold the sheet steel. I would still like to go to Ron Covells class near Santa Cruz one of these days. I learn so much better by seeing than reading about this stuff.

Attached Files:

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Metalshapers.org is a good source also. To get started put some dents and damage in an old fender and straighten it. This hands on experience will help you learn the basics.

9. Chaoticcustoms

Chaoticcustoms

Its not bad, but the amount you learn for 20 some grand is definantly not worth it. PM me if you want more details.

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

11. BCR

BCR

Hey,

You missed the memo! :eek:

If you took one of those bare metal cars and went straight to paint it would not look as perfect as it does in the pics. A bare brookville body, or Rod Bod, will still need work even though they look like they are ready for primer.

Not sure where I said to frost it and forget it, I just said when it looks perfect it still ain't as he found out when he tried to prime and block it.

12. rodknocker

rodknocker

NO! Take your 20k spend 10k on tools, and the other 5k taking metalshaping classes,and the last 5k on a project that needs a lot of metalwork.I think you'll be a lot happier with the outcome.

13. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

It is sometimes more work to do perfect metal-finishing, but it is not impossible, or magical. Anyone who has the desire can get the metal perfect and ready for paint with no filler using simple hand tools for the most part. People who say it can't be done have never gone that far, or they have not learned how to do the last little bit efficiently. Many people stop short of perfection because they are worried about over-working the metal. Once you know how to stretch smooth and shrink, this fear should go away and allow you to go as far as you want towards perfection. A little filler is fine, but you can do without if you so desire.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Gotta agree with John Kelly. ANYBODY who saw our buddy turn a pickup CAB into a SLICK early-'30s coupe will attest, IT CAN BE DONE. Anything you want to do, you can do, given enough determination. I always compare cars to fishing. People who don't have the patience to LEARN, just don't. Same with cars. If you are dedicated enough, you can make metal work for you. My dad did for 32 years, actually longer.

It is not easy. But anything easy wouldn't be interesting for more than a day. When you SHOW your work and guys come up and NOD, then it'll all be worthwhile, eh?