Register now to get rid of these ads!

Appraisal Help? 54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gonzo2424, Aug 15, 2009.

1. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

I have a 1954 210 Chevy Sedan, and was wondering what she may be worth right now in this economy and with the few amount of mods I have done. She has a recently rebuilt 235 with a 2 speed powerglide. Less than 500 miles ago, the Powerglide had a COMPLETE overhaul, spent over $2500 on it. Other things I have done are followed: 12 volt conversion with brand new ignition coil, alternator, battery, all bulbs, and was done right (ballast resistor, and volt regulator on all guages, everything still works as before with the 6v). Put new points, new plugs, new distributor, new plug wires, and rebuilt the carb within the last 3 months. Also within 500 miles are brand new Firestone Wide Whites from Croker tire, costing over $600. Other small things include new chrome wheel trims, installed amp along with a new 6x9 behind the grill to keep it all original with an iPod, new hood ornament, new chrome trim around turning lights, and new lens for turning lights, new radiator, new gas tank, new gas lines, and new brakes. Interior is pretty flawless, new carpet, could use some new headliner because its old stained, but has absolutely no tears in it or the seats. I have some pictures below, let me know if any of this helps. Thanks alot.
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. A disguised "WIW?" thread...find yourself a car appraiser, pay the $250 to $500 most charge, and get it appraised professionally! To properly appraise/value a vehicle, the apraiser MUST crawl around underneath, poke and prod for rot and rust, take lots of pics for documentation, and DRIVE the car to get a proper idea of its value. Asking on a car forum is not the way to get a proper value.

Without a proper appraisal (and even WITH one), a car is worth what the seller and buyer agree to. Period.

Granted, you've provided MUCH more info than 98% of these threads have, but it's still a "WIW?" thread.

Nice car, BTW.

3. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

The 4 door part will kill you on resale.

4. Four-door, two-door, eighteen-door...you still need a pro to appraise it.

5. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

looks to me like a pretty average 4 door sedan that's had a few things done. i'd say that's about a $3000-$3500 car.

6. 61TBird

61TBird

What's your asking price on the For Sale signs?

Go to the HAMB classifies,CL (craigslist) and ebay an look for similar comps for your car,then average out the prices and you'll be pretty close.
    SOMETIMES the price guides are close,but as you stated,you want a "what's it worth in this economy" pricing.
    That is only what you and a potential buyer can agree on.

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

I think 3500 is a little cheap...i would believe you could get 5 -6 grand cause its seems like it should drive very nicely..but as stated above its hard to tell without an appraisal or at least a good looking over by a buyer. Good luck

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i don't know man, you can get a nice running/driving 2 door for that kind of doe.
    at a certain point, you have to come to terms with the fact that you have a 4 door. unless it's something super special, like heavily modified, bagged, tastefully done, you'd be hard pressed to get that kind of money-out of me at least.
    i see a lot of 4 door 53-54 chevs around my area on craigslist that are average, listed for $5000-$7000 and i always wonder why they don't get the hint after four months of repeatedly posting every week that there shit is a $3500 car.
    don't get me wrong, i love even a 4 door 53-54, but i also think that you should be able to pick one up that's been sitting for ten years for $1000, and a nice running/driving one for $3000 tops.
    if you want to talk two doors, that's another story.

9. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Not disguised at all, Im asking out of curiosity, if I had the money I would of all ready got it appraised, I asked on here because HAMB always has answers for any of my questions. Figured someone out there would help me if they had one they recently sold or something. I am just trying to get a rough idea, not down to the dollar. I know what I paid for it and what I have in it, but also know that what I have in it wont sell at that price.

10. wvenfield

wvenfield

With patience and the current economy I think you should be able to get $3800-$4500. The HAMB isn't the place to ask about a mostly stock 4 door.

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the meeting of the HAMB lowballers club will now come to order. they will be having a joint meeting with the HAMB 4 door haters club.

things are tough these days. a couple years ago that would be a easy $6,000.00 car here in the SF Bay Area. couple 3 years ago I sold my 49 four door for $7500.00 the first weekend it was listed. the lowballers would have told me the same lame $3000.00 price had I asked.

this is not the place to ask what's it worth since you don't know the experience of the people who give an opinion.

12. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I say about $4500-$5500 for that car in this area, but maybe a bit more. Nice car for a 4-door.

13. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

2500 to 4000 in my area,

but depends on how bad someone wants it...

AND thats WITHOUT seeing it for myself.......

14. gonzo2424

gonzo2424

Thanks everyone, the pic with the signs for sale is an old one. I am not particularly looking to sell it, just wondering with the economy as it is, if the money I have put into it increase it sell price if I had to sell it. Hopefully she stays in my garage as long as possible.

15. Mockie

Mockie

I'll trade ya a non running weed wacker and a queen bed. Sorry thats all I can afford right now.

16. Swifster

Swifster

X2! This is roughly a 3-1/2 on a scale of 1 to 6. And yes, a 4-door kills the value. If the car was perfect, it would be around $18K to $20K. If you had a Bel Air drop top would be $45K plus in #1 condition.

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

and if it were a 57 belair 2 door hardtop, it would be worth $80k