Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hard to find part = can't get inspected

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by corsair, Aug 13, 2009.

1. corsair

corsair

The Edsel is up and running again, and has gone rumbling around the neighborhood a few times now. I'm trying to get the old girl ready for inspection, but one particular part is giving me trouble. I have to have wipers for the safety inspection, and while the system works fine, the control cable is frozen. The one from my parts car is just as bad. I've tried using penetrating oil to free it up, but I think it's a lost cause.

So this is the dumbest reason I can think of to render the car non-inspectable. I've seen universal pull cables I could probably adapt, but has anybody seen where I can source a stock replacement? The dash knob is still there and I'd sure like to use it.

Also, the cables for the air vents under the dash. Anybody know where to pick those up?

Thanks!

2. Gigantor

Gigantor

I had a simial problem with a choke cable on my old Econoline. I fiddled around and managed to mate the original handle to the universal choke linkage with a little trial and error. I bet you could figure out something.

3. squirrel

squirrel

is it the same type that's used on Chevys? turn the knob, the cable moves?

see epay 200307124253

4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Isn't that the same as Fords from the same era? My T'Bird has the same deal, the cable works fine, but the motor is wheezy...Check Concours Ford. They have all sorts of old Ford bits.

5. swi66

swi66

Ever try MAC's Antique Auto.
    I know they have an Edsel catalog.

6. corsair

corsair

The Edsel part is the same as Ford. When (if?) I find one I'm sure it will be listed for a Ford. MAC's has done me good so far, they supplied 90% of the parts I needed for the brakes. Unfortunately, they don't have any of the cables I need. Neither does Rock Auto.

Checked Concours, they have a set of vent cables I think I can use, but nada for the wipers. The eBay part looks similar, but $80 is insane. That's almost half what I need to just convert to bolt-in electric and be rid of this damnable vac-wiper nonsense.

I may end up having to rig a cheap choke type cable as a temp fix and toss the whole mess for an electric setup later. I'd hate to jury-rig something so seemingly simple. Maybe no choice though.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Any more potential sources?

7. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

Remove the cable assembly and soak it in vinegar for day or so. The mild acid is great for unsticking things that ought not to be stuck.

8. heavy

heavy

Just register it as "antique" and tou don't have to have an inspection.

9. What the heavy guy said.........

10. corsair

corsair

I may end up going antique. My only reservation is the number of restrictions and the really overbearing cops around here. I'm building my store right now, and I see police in and out of my parking lot all the time. If they decide to be assholes I'd have an issue. Plus I can't advertise my store on the car. Kind of sucks since an Edsel would be a highly visible rolling billboard in tiny tiny Bulverde. Has anybody had cop issues driving antique registered cars? Better question, anybody been raped by your insurance company if you had a claim in your antique?

I'll try the vinegar trick, and if that doesn't work I may just keep driving the store truck until I can swing the electric conversion. It just seems like a dumb ass thing to have to sweat. I'm sure in 1959 the part was in every dealer and cost 75 cents :rolleyes:

11. I saw a knob and cable on *bay.con while searching 1957-59 Ford parts. If I can find it again I'll PM.

PM sent

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  12. daily_driver

daily_driver

Try dennis carpenter, I know they have edsel parts. I'll look at my catalog when I get home and see if its in there.

13. PonyboyWWAC

PonyboyWWAC

google search contemporary automotive, the guy has parts laying in his shop for anything and everything. if he doesn't have it..he will know who will..his name is smitty.

14. squirrel

squirrel

my point about the Chevy cable is that if it's similar enough to work, see if you can find a used one. lotsa guys take out the vacuum wipers and don't need the cable with aftermarket electric wipers. 80 is reasonable for a repro part like that (try making one yourself) but you should be able to find a used one somewhere for less

15. Faded Love Garage

Faded Love Garage
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring, TX

I have both my 56 and my 73 f100 registered as antiques. I drive the 73 daily. I have not had any probs.

16. indyjps

indyjps

17. Fenders

Fenders

"the really overbearing cops around here. I'm building my store right now, and I see police in and out of my parking lot all the time. If they decide to be assholes I'd have an issue."

Sorry to hear that, I always thought of the Republic of Texas as the land of the free, remember the Alamo, all that shit, guess it's just as fucked as many other states.

Sounds like Vermont is the only free sane state left (they don't issue handgun permits in Vermont because everyone is entitled to carry anyway).

Good luck with your car.

18. corsair

corsair

Thanks guys! This is why I like the hamb :D

Texas is still more free than most places. Bulverde is just one of those little towns with too many cops that considers tickets a healthy part of the tax base. I think every state has a few of those.

19. Only problem I've had with the police around here was one local Barney Fife who stopped me because he didn't know the law on displaying year of manufacture tags. Had to explain the law to him, now I carry a copy of the code section in the truck.

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Register it as antique. Use YOM license plates. Just don't get caught doing burnouts or running red lights or anything like that and you'll be fine.

I got pulled over for having a taillight out on my '54 Ford one weekend. I was coming from watching some bands downtown Austin. I got pulled over on the highway. The cop said I had 1 tailight out. I told him the car only needs 1 to be legal. He walked to his car to get on the radio, he came back and then he said that I shouldn't be driving with the antique plates unless I'm in a car show or parade. I told him I was coming back from a car show in Dallas, that's why it's 3am. He bought it, told me to fix the taillight, and that I had a cool car. If you drive your old car during the weekdays, use the excuse "i'm taking it to (or coming from) the muffler shop" or "I'm going to have the brakes done" or some stupid crap like that if you ever get pulled over. But in my time driving old cars daily, I've never been bothered by the law, aside from that 1 taillight issue.

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

most of the aftermarket choke cables have a knob that unscrews you might be able to work with them, how does this cable work and how long does it have to be?

22. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

Have you tried this guy?
    Antique Auto Supply, Arlington, TX. (817) 275-2381

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VadAcb94GZE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VadAcb94GZE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

23. thewpers dont have to work. they are only required to check the blades. that how i passed anyway

24. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

They are supposed to check the operation of the wipers also.

25. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I was about to say, check the lawbooks.... In WV it says your vehicle must be equipped with a windshield wiper. Nowhere does it say it actually has to work (or, for that matter, be on the windshield).

26. corsair

corsair

I'm almost positive that a choke cable could be fitted. Looks like they are popping up on ebay now. Couldn't find one to save my life, and cool57 found 2! I think I need to sharpen up my kung-ku :D I'm going to pop on a new cable and try and inspect the car. If it fails, I'll go antique.

So the YOM plates are ok on an antique registered car?