Register now to get rid of these ads!

got a new car 51 ford 4 door what to do with it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by karfer67, Aug 15, 2009.

1. karfer67

karfer67

hey this is my first shoebox and she is nice. i know it is a 4 door but i am not so picky and i got a family to haul around to shows anyways so the extra room will be nice. it has the original flathead v8 and 3 spd with overdrive. now what should i do with it??? i am gonna keep it mild i think and do any of you know any good flathead ford forums out there? thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. I'd say "drive it!"

3. Do all the cool stuff anyone would do to a 2dr, like shaving, lowering, frenching ect. Most would think it was cool just because you didn't care if it was a 4dr. There are lots of custom 4dr mercs out there. Most important of all is.... DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF IT!

4. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

lower it put the wife and kids in it and drive it

5. henrys_way

henrys_way
    from Maine

Looks great...good and clean...I Would drive it as is....but work on it on the side some.....lower it a bit...put a grill on it...those 51's are cool!

6. thunderplex

thunderplex

... why do some people always want other peoples opinions?

7. Hotrod95

Hotrod95

Give it to me!

8. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Nice.

If you're looking for opinions I'd say drive it and enjoy. Work out the issues to make it safe for the family.

As far as flathead info I've seen some really good stuff on here.

9. 29 rattrap

29 rattrap
    from New York

lower it and drive the piss out of it

10. I would lower it, straight pipe it and drive the hell out of it. Is it a 51 or a 50 with a 51 hood on it, that is a 50 dash. does it have small tail lights or the big ones with chrome trim running up the side of the quarter panel? 51 also has hidden trunk hinges.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flathead forums? From what I've seen, this one is as good as any out there. The folks on this forum have done flatheads from stock to wild, and should be able to give you any info you'll need.

12. Looks like a good start. I would suicide the doors and put it on bags!

13. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

clean up the engine,slam it,fat whites and a grill,drive it with pride.You looking for flathead experts, you are already there...the HAMB has none better,also check out fordbarn.com.oh yeah shave the handles..suicide doors would look killer.

14. Why do you ask?

15. As far as grills go I would opt for a '57 'Vette grill.

16. Finish it off with a bare minimum of changes.

Close to stock exterior, get the engine running good, improve the running gear along the way.

In the meantime save up money for a mildly built big block, disc brakes up front, 9" Ford rear axle.

The car is begging to be a sleeper.

Get yourself a 16' or so camper/house trailer, toss the family and all the vacation gear in it, haul the whole shebang over the Grapevine in the summer.

Best part?

Pulling away from the econo-box gang with an "old" car is very satisfying....

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

LOL

someone hand me a towel, i got bloody mary all over the keyboard :p

18. True till Death

True till Death

lower it, and drive the hell out of it, I wish my 51 looked that good.

also a great forum in addition to the hamb is www.shoeboxford.com

great info on there, sometimes it is a little slower then the hamb to get an answer to a question but all great guys and info there.

19. Please don't change the motor what ever you do. Flatheads are the best motor money can buy. Well not really but they are just to darn cool to get rid of.

20. Shoeboxdriver

Shoeboxdriver
    from Holmen, WI

Well, on my 51 I built up the flathead, swapped in a 3spd w/overdrive, dropped spindles and Jamco swaybars, a pair of Smithys mufflers, Coker wide whites ......... and I drove the heck out it.

By the way, without a grille and no shot of the rear I can't say for certain, but are ya sur you have a 51 ..... cause that dash aint.

Anyway, enjoy it.:)

Shoebox

Attached Files:

21. I don't have a problem with a good running stock - mit duals - flathead.

Stop and think about it for a minute.
    The car is quite novel nowadays and even so at the Saturday night rod run.
    Keeping it close to stock means the build goes quick and you're not hung up on a chop, severe (and impractical) lowering.

Nice clean and usable is an excellent way to go.
    Not to mention, helluva tow car for the HAMB drags coupe you're gonna build.

People talk about belly button Deuce roadsters all the time, but running in the real world, over a 15 year period I've only run into another Deuce - or Model A - roadster three different times.

My area is a hotbed of hot rod activity.

Even so, at the smaller shows perhaps one other Deuce highboy roadster.

At the big Spring Route 66 Fun Run, 2-3 tops . . . out of 600 cars.

A close to stock or even modified Shoebox is seldom seen.

It all boils down to, you don't need all the modifications to be different and novel.

And if you're talking trad, even back in the day the usual street runner Shoebox seldom had more than a nose and deck, dropped front and maybe a strong running OHV.

All this stuff that goes on with major modifications wasn't done to the average and even the above average Shoebox back in the day.

Here's a few Shoebox pics.
    First one, from back in the day, circa 1958 fwiw.
    [​IMG]

This one, built a few years back.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a modern Airstream with all the facilities.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009

22. I'm sorry.

Now I owe you one.

It'll have to be here though . . . my newest favorite bar.

[​IMG]

23. Take note of Mr. Shoeboxdriver's car.

Spot on, probably more to it than meets the eye....

24. Wow shoeboxdriver that is a a great car you put together.

25. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

i gotta agree with you... simple and subtle... the mark of a real nice custom daily. and by the way, that was one of the best answers i have read in a long time... takes some of the shit out of the bull when talking about belly button cars

26. flat34pu

flat34pu

Google and check this out: Ford Flathead V8 1932 to 1953 their should also be a lot of members here that also run flatheads:D
    but yes that is a nice ride, good luck and set it up to enjoy:cool:

27. Lower it . Nose it , Deck it , French it, take the door handles off. Use black rims with WWW and Spider caps then drive the hell out of it

28. karfer67

karfer67

yea thats what i was thinking keep it simple drop the back, black wheels, wide whites, straight pipes and drive the heck out of it like i do all my cars. any tips on making flatheads more reliable? right now it has a single 94 holley and i am getting an original sharp intake with 3 97's from a close friend for it. but i was thinking of getting a block off and running two carbs i hear that makes for a better street setup. also are there lowered front springs avalible for these cars or should i just whack a few coils out? thanks for all the comments and suggestions i love this car now i just need to find a front bumper for it. i have the grill insert but i might make something up different i was thinking spider web maybe.

29. The Lone Wolf

The Lone Wolf
    from Malta

Really cool 'Box that buddy.
    I'd say keep it fairly stock and drive the nuts off it.

Either way post pics!!

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

My '51 is chopped and all sorts of stuff...makes me appreciate a nice stock car all that much more...i like the above ideas, maybe just lower it a little and have an exhaust you like listening to...I'd throw some disc brakes on the front because I like good brakes(it made a world of difference in my car) and enjoy it....personally I don't like 4 drs that have shaved handles, it makes it look like you wish it was a 2 dr in my eyes.

That's just a nice, old car that you can get in and drive, and don't have to spend a few years fixing, which sounds great to me!