Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects air bag suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowchevypickup, Feb 21, 2009.

1. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

i know most guys on here arent in to bagged trucks. but i have a 52 chevy 5 window p/u mounted on a s10 frame. im picking up some used air ride parts that has a pair of slam specialties xs 600 bags to use in the front. just wandering what would be good to use in the rear. also any pics of home built rear suspension would be a big help as well. have all the tools just want to make sure i do it right and dont have any problems. thanks for looking and i would appreciate any help

2. Weasel

Weasel

Wrong forum???

3. ardunpinto

ardunpinto
    from WACO tx

What I see are that most traditional cars are lowered. The new guys are just taking a new approch. Ive seen 15 pages of people ranting and raving over a car that was bagged on here before. The guy is just asking a question, a car guy, hell he may have six 32 fords with flattys in the garage. I can understand we dont want this board to go to mini trucks but i believe if its a traditional car a few airbags wont ruin it. theres plenty of 32s with 76 ford pinto frontends underoneath them on here i bet.

4. MEMPHIS RAT

MEMPHIS RAT
    BANNED

right forum!, dont steriotype.

just my opinion.... no offense:D

5. knuckelhead

knuckelhead
    from socal

its totally the rite forum .try this site its my buddys tell him jeff sent you.
    www.railitcustoms.com

6. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

sorry fellas wasnt tryin to start an argument just needed some help. but thanks for the suggestions. and dont worry it wont be bagged on big inch billet wheels, its goin to roll on 15" artillery wheels, or reversed smoothies. and of course white walls. just to let everbody know.

7. Tony

Tony

Not the wrong forum, this stuff has been done tons of times by some of the high quality builders on here..and posted.
    Send Clark a pm and see if he has pics of how he set's up the trucks he builds. There's a number of A/D trucks running around Pa that have S-10 chassis with bags and i know he's had his hand in many.
    ALL are nice trucks.
    Clark's a good guy with a lot of knowledge and if he can help you out i'm sure he will.

I have a 52 Chevy truck on an S-10 frame too, but no bags just static drop so i can't help ya
    personally. Sorry.
    Tony

8. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

some people dont have anything better to do than be an asshat & try to police this forum.............

try gambino kustoms on here http://gambinokustoms.com/

i dont recall any bagged truck threads on here but you can search for BASS he has a thread that shows the process of baggin a TRADITIONAL CAR................ good luck & you can try the hamb-o-dex for other users that may sell & have air ride knowledge
    jt

9. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

It sounds like cool truck keep us posted. As for air bags I like the idea. You get the ride hight for the street and the look that you like as well. a S-10 is one of the easyest ones to lower. hope you get LIKE YOU want it and don't let anyone talk you in to something else. post some pics. that my 0.02 cents

10. lowchevypickup

lowchevypickup
    from central IL

ill try your guys suggestions i was mainly lookin for air bag suggestions, or recomindations. just trying to figure out what ever body else is running. like i said it has slam specialties xs600 in the front not sure what to use in the rear.

11. Tony

Tony

Another suggestion i'll throw out is to contact kustombuilder on here too. he sell's Air Lift products and i'm sure would be able to give you some advice for what you want.
    I've talked to him a couple times about what to use etc for my 62 Impala and he's been not only a help with the info, but offered me the products at a GREAT price too..
    Just another option.
    Tony

12. chevyshack

chevyshack

If this site stuck to "traditional" the way it was in the day, you might have 40 people here. (just guessing) That would be boring. Might as well be a chat room. I love the looks that air baggs give. I want to eventually put some on my 52 chevy styeline.

13. junkcad

junkcad
    from nashville

i have a bagged s10 & i ran firestone 2500lb bags in the front (not sure how that compares to slam xs600) & firestone 2600lb in the rear.........rides good to me & i get about 10 inches of lift in the rear & its a simple bag over axle & im runnin a mono leaf w/ the helper leaf
    jt

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

your guess is way off, try a couple thousand easy. and there is a chat as well. yeah things get off topics a little sometimes but the heart of the HAMB is Traditional Hot Rods and Customs. And it is not boring. A 81 Cutlass is boring. :rolleyes::D

15. Sloppyseconds

Sloppyseconds
    from Pasadena

If you cant do it with springs... dont do it at all

16. dubbie

dubbie

im not familiar with the slam specialties xs series, only familiar with the re series. I would use all re7's or re 7's in the front and re 6's in the rear. if your not going too low, bags over the axle work fine. Going way low your going to want to do a bag on bar rear suspension to give more lift and a softer ride...along with shocks. Unfortuneately no pics right off hand.

17. rick finch

rick finch

The reason I dislike bagged cars or trucks is when they are "aired" out, too many of them are laying flat on the ground, looks goofy as shit!(all out of proportion) I don't dislike the bags, just the way some people use them.

18. Glen

Glen

You would find a lot more info about bagging an S-10 on a mini truck website than you would find here.

19. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

imo.... bagged hot rods are awesome. you really cant get that very low look with a stock coils spring suspension. and the ride quality is like driving a cadillac!! I own a s10 blazer that i had air ride on and i also had a 89 s-10 that i wanted to do air ride on but instead i bought my 1952 chevy deluxe and yes iam gonna out air ride on it ... the hamb is the shi*

20. CARLOS8A

CARLOS8A
    from waukegan

21. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Hell - I am 67 years old and still remember what a pain in the ass lowered customs were to drive on the street. They rode like a buckboard. That's why I bagged my 54. I no longer have to worry about scraping my tailpipes when I drive up my steep driveway. Anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my ass. Bag your truck and drive it.

22. Amen to that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laying rocker has NOTHING to do with word traditional. NUFF SAID!!:cool:

23. Imperial Kustom

Imperial Kustom

For ride quality, you can't beat Firestone or Contitech and a 'bag on bar setup. I love Kustoms, and after going to air ride about five years ago, I won't use springs on a Kustom ever again. I love my shit low. Real low. On the ground low. Look at some show cars from the golden era of Kustoms, with (removable) lake pipes sitting right on the floor. I have pictures from the mid fifties to the early sixties of cars in my area (Boise Idaho) standing a mere inch off the ground. Back then, around here, super low was the look. But those cars are a pain in the ass to drive. I know. I did it for years. Guys have been trying to get their crates on the ground for decades, but the gospel of adjustable suspension didn't spread very quickly until now. Don't be fooled, adjustable suspensions ARE traditional. The first air ride suspension was introduced in 1938 and GM used air ride starting in '57 and the first Kustom to have adjustable suspension (hydraulic) was the X-sonic in '58 and that fucker sat the frame and front roll pan right on the floor. Remember, the heart of hot rodding and customizing is taking superior technology and adapting it to your vehicle. If todays air bag suspensions were around in 1941, I guarantee Harry Westerguard would have used 'em.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  24. coopsdaddy

coopsdaddy
    from oklahoma

I used shockwaves and a three link on my 50

25. Kapuron

Kapuron
    from Colorado

Amen brother.

26. flatoutford1976

flatoutford1976

This is my 76 Ford F-100. I fabbed the rear Suspension. I went wo a junkyard found 2 vehicles with factory 3 link rear suspension and got the lower bars. I used only the ends. I used 2x2 steel tube for the lower bars and 1" round tube for the uppers. The bags are mounted back on the lower bars for more lift. Was it cheaper than buying a 4 link kit....hell no but I figured if I spend 500 dollars on a universal kit I would probably have to cut it up to make it work anyway.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Reds 29

Reds 29

Check out suicidedoors.com they make kits and have lots of air suspension parts for s-10 pick-ups. We used there bag kit on a 67 chevy pick-up and it was real well made and easy to install. We've seen alot of there kits on s-10 pick-ups and they look real well designed and built. Hot rods and customs have always been low, how you get it there is your business. Air bags make sense because you can make it sit low and then drive at a reasonable height.
    Red

28. short step

short step
    from ludlow ma

Try 67-72chevytrucks.com theres a suspension forum.then do a jump to your year truck. The S10 forums sound good to.
    bob

29. Philbilly

Philbilly

Cool truck. Where in Ms are you?