Register now to get rid of these ads!

BBC vs SBC distributors.... (more 327 woes...)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Big Mac, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

Got the water-in-oil situation resolved. I got the thing fired up and I'm not getting oil out the pushrods. Then, I noticed quite a bit of oil under the car. I've been asking my locals and one guy just told me that I have a big block distributor so it wasn't hooking up with the oil pump. I had no idea there were big block and small block distributors. Can someone school me on this?

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

I know 348/409 are different than the 396/454 family, my guess would be a missing plug from 2" over the filter (driver side, above the filter, in the block. tapped in two places, one for a clutch pivot, the other goes into oil galley)

3. Is the oil coming out of the bell housing ?? >>>>.

4. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

Small and Big block distributors interchange.

5. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I couldn't tell. Still trying to figure out where it was coming from. It idled for about 20 seconds and I reved it JUST A LITTLE BIT once. About 2 quarts of oil on the floor and it was all over the fly wheel and torque converter. Bell house is a possibility. What are your thoughts?

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

There's a oil passage that should have a threaded plug on the drivers side rear above oil filter, check that.
    Also check and make sure you have a soft plug in rear cam journal.
    O and there's a threaded plug, half way under and half way out on rear of drivers side block under head .........................
    There are also 3 small oil galley plugs next to the rear cam bearing soft plug.

7. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Your local guy giving you the "big block" distributor advice is either F'ning with you or is clueless - either way it's probably not a good idea to ask for any of his advice in the future. If you can't trust the advice it ain't worth much.

If I were you I would consider marking the dizzy -pull it out - borrow a priming tool and prime the oil pump using a 1/2 drill - this way you can put an eyeball on the problem without runnign the motor and possibly damaging it. The advice for checking that the pipe plugs are in place is spot on, but if it's one in the bell housing (galley plug in the back of the block) it might be easier to spot while priming the pump.

Good luck!!!

8. #### Big cam plug and 3 small plugs for the lifter oil passages !! Also what year is the block and if you could show us a pic of the lower part of the dist as some of the older ones didn't have the oil groove that connects the lifter gallie cut all of the way around so placement of the dist is critical >>>>.

9. 42hotrod

42hotrod
    from S.E. Idaho

I'm thinking its the plug that is half under the one head, seen that one missed several times before.

10. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

It's a '66 327. I primed it with a drill and it would make a "sucking" sound like it's sucking half oil half air..... Thanks for all the help. I'm going to monkey with it some more tonight. I'll focus on correct distributor placement and see what I can come up with. As always, everyone's very helpful. Thanks!

11. ethelkilledfred

ethelkilledfred
    from So Cal

BBC and SBC distributers are the same except for the 427 tall block, it's longer and will not sit flush on the manifold.

12. Ok experts not all small block dist are the same !! The pics of the first one are the newer more common ones but if you happen to have an older one like the cast iron model in the pic you had better place it in the engine the right way or the lifters won't oil !!! >>>>.

Attached Files:

13. OCIE

OCIE
    from TRINITY,TX

i've got a '66 327 also and i had a nightmare of a time with the oil passage on the drivers side thats halfway under the head. the machine shop put a plug in it when they bored it so i didnt think anything of it. but when we fired it up it was dumping oil out of it. had to pul the head off to fix it, turns out thers 2 different size holes in there and they put a plug in the first one but the hole was all mangled. put a plug in the smaller hole put it back together fired it up, still leaking. pulled head back off, pulled plug out, threaded it,put screw in plug in, siliconed it, made first hole round again, put plug and silcone in it. fixed it for a while, now it leakes every now and then for no reason then stops. i just add oil to it, it isnt near as bad as it was. that little hole puts alot of pressure out.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correctamundo. I'm voting on the missing plug too. It did PUMP 2qts+ on the floor, right?

15. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Yeah, you got the right distributor, know how to tell?

It pumped all that oil on the floor. Therefore the distributor is turning the oil pump. If it wasn't pumping how did it get out?

Your leak is so big that it's not building top end pressure. Find the missing plug and make sure that RTV poking out the intake end seals is not mostly covering the 1/8 NPT oil sender hole under the distributor head.

good luck!

16. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

17. Flywheelers Car Club

Flywheelers Car Club

The SBC and the BBC 9.8" deck hight distributors are interchangeable. The BBC 10.2" deck hight distributor is all by itself however it can be used in the SBC and 9.8" BBC by placing a .400" tall spacer between the intake manifold and hold down ring on the distributor housing. Trying to use a SBC or 9.8" BBC distributor in a 10.2" BBC will create problems with drive gear to driven gear alignment and oil pump shaft tang to distributor shaft slot engagement.

The BBC "W" engine distributors are all by themselves.

If you are having oil leaking problems from the distributor to manifold location, look to see if there is a gasket between the two parts where the distributor hold down ring makes contact with the intake manifold.

I hope this helps.

FCC MONK