Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stupid Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by the_horrormoans, Oct 16, 2004.

1. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

I'm gonna repaint my truck satin black, my question is, if the paint on my truck (red) is in decent condition do I have to sand all of it off? I'm asking this because I've been told that sometimes you can paint over the original paint. Spots that are chipped I know I'll have to sand....right? I'd say 95% of the paint is still in great shape.

2. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

you at lest need to rough up the old finish so the new will stick.

3. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

How rough of sandpaper do I use? right now I have 50 grit....seems way too much!? Thanks a lot by the way.

HAMB RULES!!!

4. Chandler

Chandler
    from Rowlett,TX

wet sand it. If you use to rough of paper when you paint over it it will show your scratches.

5. 51Cards

51Cards

The only stupid question is the one that's unasked. Fill chiped paint with glaze, Wet sand with 1200 grit wet/dry paper and paint away.

6. slammed

slammed

Wax, grease remover the old paint, scuff/sand all the edge's so the paint will stick. Then work the rest of the truck. Do a section at a time. Use a block to keep it flat. Alway's wear a mask. Plenty of what-to-do to come from other HAMBer's. Work slow, what's the rush? Detail's must be addressed if you want great result's.

7. bradberry00

bradberry00
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

maybe a stupid question (not yours mine)....but if your paint is good like you say it is, why cover it up with flat black (primer?)....???

shiny paint is cool too....

8. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I agree with bradberry the only reason my last car was flat black is because when I got it it was 4 colors, and I was too broke to get a real paint job. Dont follow the heard and be just another cow.

9. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I have to agree with bb and leadsled, if you have 95% good red (and what's cooler than red?) you could spend your time making that 95% into 100%, and it would probably be less work in the end.

I got my 47 Ford that was painted in the 70's, the roof is peeling. I'm a little tired of everyone asking me when I'm gonna prime it. I just got a quart of yellow mixed up so I can respray my roof. [​IMG]

10. Hell yeah, if the red is passable, keep it!

11. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

Although I like the paint that is on there now
    I'm going to shoot the roof a metal-flake gray next week.
    I would rather have it suede and gray than faded red and gray. I really don't give a shit about the rest of the "herd", I'm not some charley that flips the script just ta fit it in. If I wanted to keep it red it would stay red, but I would rather learn a little as far as paint goes and change it a few times. The suede will be temporary, I'll probably have switched colours 100 times before I wreck it [​IMG] but I understand what you guys are saying, I usually don't work just for the sake of working. but in this case it's for the sake of learning something...which is painting my noble old heap!!

12. slammed

slammed

You asked for tech and nothing more and you get advise! Semi blk will never grow old, just people. Happen's from time to time around here. Any other question's on your prep?

13. bedllm

bedllm

You might be surprised at what you can do with that old paint. My truck looked honest too god exactly like the Sanford and Son truck -- but worse. It was not only faded like Sanford's ride, but it also had blobs of stains on all of the horizontal surfaces (berries dropped on it and left, I think).

Also wasn't a great paintjob to begin with. Earl Scheib kinda' thing.

Just for the hell of it, I decided to try sanding it out and polishing it up -- nothing to lose. Tried it on the roof. Came out pretty damned nice, all things considered.

It's a lot of work, but it was well worth it. Went from a total shot rod to a decent 40 footer.

To do it, start with 400 grit if it's really nasty, then switch to 600. Then 1000, then 1200. After that, I used a buffer with 3M rubbing compound. Everyone is still shocked at how good that POS paint job looks now.

Dave

14. bedllm

bedllm

Oh, couple other things -- always use the sandpaper with water (cuts better, stays cleaner). Also, use a sanding block if at all possible (keeps pressure even, avoids creating ripples in finish).

Work slowly, too -- it can be easy to sand through the paint, depending on how thin your finish is. (Mine ranged from ridiculously thick in some parts, to barely covering the primer in others. The thing that made me brave about it was that it couldn't get any worse!)

Dave

15. swazzie

swazzie

[ QUOTE ]
    How rough of sandpaper do I use? right now I have 50 grit....seems way too much!? Thanks a lot by the way.

[/ QUOTE ]

50 GRIT! HOLY SHIT! Is it made outta wood? Jus kiddin .I second that wet sanding is a good option. swaZZie

16. the_horrormoans

the_horrormoans

50 grit is what I had layin around, it seemed like it was the wrong shit. I know nothing about paint (and a lot of other things) but you guys have helped me out a lot.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Ok you sound like you're trying to learn, and that's good. First off I would try to save the paint you have. It'll actually be a learning experience for compounding and buffing which you do to a new paint job as well. If the paint is 95% it can be done. If after than you still feel the need to go flat black may I suggest a real black with a flattened clear. Most of the cheap paints would necessitate the complete stripping to do decent paint job later...