Register now to get rid of these ads!

What reason do people clean out shop and sale it all

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailhead terry, Aug 13, 2009.

1. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

why wife time kids money what

2. silversink

silversink

the only reason I would ever do it is for a sick dog. Everyone else can just stay out. Why would you get rid of precious car parts and memories?:confused: By the way, nice binder

3. I have seen Lots of racers and hot rod folks leave it all behind because they know they will "relapse" if they keep a foot in the door. It is like quitting smoking or booze to them they have to do it 100% cold turkey tapering back will not work.

4. SquashThatFly

SquashThatFly

Id sell it all to take care of my dog. But my girlfriend can fend for herself. lol

5. There are probably as many answers as people who've sold it all. Lose job, run out of money, need to relocate for any of umpteen reasons, divorce, lose interest, retire, have to go to a home, get sick, family member gets sick or into trouble, etc etc etc etc -

6. TINGLER

TINGLER

I'm in the process right now of getting rid of everything.

99% of my stuff is gone. Probably sell my welder next....

Keeping a bike or two and my hand tools.

Reason: I had a major shift in my perception. Cars used to be a warped spiritual endeavor for me. I thought I could change the world through hot rods. I was wrong, it's as simple as that. I underestimated the power of the system. I now see cars as objects and machinery. They won't change anything. They are part of the system. It's not punk rock....it's business as usual and I was too dumb to understand that. I'm also a little older and I find that I'm not so hell bent on destroying myself like I was 10 years ago. Life is a good thing.

Will I own a hot rod in the future? Probably. Getting rid of stuff has the nice side effect of creating a lot of potential for the future. ;) :D

psst. Wanna buy a mini bike?

7. abc123

abc123

This is just a guess, but I think that it would apply to at least some folks:

Those who get into a hobby in a hurry are likely to get out of it in a hurry, too. They're impulsive and for some reason want to buy/build/rebuild a rod so they get a bunch of stuff, join a club and/or hang out a LOT at shows and maybe even get a car running. Then they see how much work it is, they see how much they don't know and they don't have the patience to gain experience. Then, something else comes along that catches their interest and "poof" they're selling all the rod stuff and chasing some other interest.

8. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I got a son I'd do anything for. Including sellin' off my gear or knockin' over a bank (they've got you're money insured, chill). At certain points in your life, certain things take priority over things you individually enjoy. I'd sell all my hotrod gear off it meant helping my boy in any way. Priorities change, before my son nothing would have made me sell off my hotrod gear. Now my son takes priority over everything, including any personal sacrifice on my behalf. As much as I'd hate it, I'd sell everything I own from my house to my hotrod parts for my boy, and then start selling off bodily organs, or living in absolute squaler. My son comes first, anyone that thinks different needs to get their priorities striaght IMO. Girls and wives and ex's are different, frankly if they're at the point where I have to decide between a devorce settlement and hotrods, I'd sell plasma before dumping my treasures. But I'd give everything up if it meant helping my son. There's nothing I wouldn't do for my boy, car's are a luxury, my son is what my world revolves around, and I wouldn't want it any other way. The boy's well-being comes before my own, I'd do anything for him.

9. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

I've "gotten out" once before and now I'm right back in again. I understand the "foot in the door" thing.

I quit and sold everything because once you have a whole bunch of stuff, your stuff owns you, not the other way around.

I'm back to my stuff owning me and I need to downsize again. I keep telling myself "Quality over quantity" but it never seems to work out.

Shawn

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I tried to get into the Henry Ford Clinic and they said I was fine....

So I embrace my affliction....

I'm also embracing a gash cross my palm and a burned spot on my ass....that is an entirely different story for a different day...

11. TINGLER

TINGLER

Wise words. Very well stated.

12. I have got out of the hobby two times and sold tools and all. but its in the blood and you start over.

13. George G

George G

I tried the cold turkey thing re old cars.

sold my '36 3 window WTF?!!! All my old cars that I dragged home to my dad's farm etc. I was good for about 10 years . Swore off old cars.

Fell off the wagon with my '28 roadster. Tainted my son on the relapse. Poor boy.

14. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The master said I had to sell everything and give him the money or the almighty 'Bob' wont take me on the spaceship when Armageddon arrives......

Doc,

Hey, any you guys want some cool aid?

15. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

Already drank the Kool Aid.

That's why there's over a dozen cars around my house.

Anyone want a '52 Morris Oxford?

Shawn

16. Some people just try to do it to help out their friends....

17. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

Loss of balance.

Doc, you got some purple sneakers for sale too?

18. Harris

Harris

I just sold my Model A project - 2yrs worth of work, would've had it on the road this year....

Had to, been out of work on injury leave and quite frankly with a past due mortgage I kinda figured my rod wouldn't have looked so killer sitting outside of an apartment complex. I sold it to keep the house and my garage/shop tools. When everything settles down (and I'm back to my normal paychecks) 1st major purchase will be another project.

Times are tough, all you can do is try to keep up with hopes of eventually getting ahead!

19. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Here is a reason for ya....

I have been dragging my truck around for ten years hoping to be able to build something that would have made my father proud, but a year ago I suffered a career ending injury at work. The state tried to screw me, so now I'm selling all my stuff to keep my head above water until my lawyer can get me my settlement. Once this is done, I'm packing what I have left and getting out of this festering, inbred, shithole of a town, and take some time to focus more on my art.

....you asked :)

20. I have hit the old reset button 3 times so far in my life. The tri-five stuff the first time, Harleys the next, then the Advance Design pickups. It sure does clear the mind, when you are no longer collecting parts to build mutiple projects. I do not regret selling any of it! It is probably mostly about being burned out on the stuff that you have at the time.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

As someone above mentioned, some people just float into and out of hobbies fast. I knew a rich guy that would buy a 9 second race car, spendd $$$ making it an 8 second car, then run it down the track once and was done with it.

Lowered trucks, 5.0's , muscle cars, imports, autocrossing, paintball, you name it, he threw money at it till he found the next shiny thing and ran towards that.

Me, if I lose my work space, which is entirely possible, I'll sell everything but the hand tools. Grinders/airtools/welder/comrpessor too much big stuff to list, but I'd sell all that off because there's no sentimental value and I can replace it with better.

The hand tools, dunno why but they have sentimental value and besides, take too long to build up the collection again.

22. I got rid of most everything once. It was kinda good for me at that time. Never the tools.
    You still awake Chip?

23. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Ever hear of the word "fad"?
    Some people just try to go with the flow and get "into" whatever the latest fad is. They even spend lots of time and money and effort, for a short while, just to be "hip".

Others are in this for life. I still own my first airtool I bought in 1976 or so. My tools are my life. If I ever get in a jam, money-wise, I can always make a few extra bucks with my tools. Why would anyone want to sell them?
    Only to move on into another "fad", cause they were never that into it to begin with!

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Very true about your stuff owning you. I was forced into selling out quite a bit of stuff due to a layoff years ago. It sucked at the time, but I came to realize that all the parts that I had collected had shoehorned me into building just one kind of car. By purging, my eyes have been opened to the fact that there are other engines out there besides small block Chevies. It's like starting with a clean slate. I do kind of cringe when I see what finned aluminum engine accessories and Torq Thrust wheels have been going for over the last few years.

Now my tools are another thing, I still have the first Craftsman ratchet that my father gave back in 1975. It will have to get really bad before any of that iron goes out the door.

25. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

No one here can say it any better than this.

26. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

The lawyers came and sold all my stuff once. I made some bad business decisions.

It took me over 10 years to get the urges back. Its been over 20 and I'm still not back to where I was and what I had.

Shit happens.

27. Verminator

Verminator

If one more tree falls and takes out another kool car project......First i've got about 20 cars,all the parts to build them, and they own me. A few years ago, I had a 57 2 door wagon, (my avatar) a little rough, but could still be a builder. Before I got around to it, a 40 foot tree about 2 feet diameter, fell directly across the roof at the B pillers and folded it like a big 'U'. Heartbreaking, love the 57 wagons..... Last Monday, in the high winds and lightning storm, 40 feet snap off the giant pine in my backyard and take out my 60 chevy wagon, across the hood and windshield!!! I've owned this car since 73 -- my high school car. It's rough, but I just put a good 350 in it , new radiator, headers, wheel cylinders, and was gonna bomb it to my 35th high school reunion in October. So damn sad.....

28. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Well said, i could add a few names that fits well into the description, but:
    1 - nobody would know them,
    2 - nobody would care,
    3 - i hate to speak of people on their backs,
    but most important:
    4 - NOBODY CARES ANYWAY! :D

Still i agree w/ ya abc123 (thats a hell of an original name bro! :cool:), i just hope that these people buy a lot of good stuff in a short time and then sell it cheap to us who still care!
    Where i come from its gonna be pretty soon i belive, and i already know where to keep an eye or two.
    The only part im worried is the cheap part.I know some fulla shit rich undercover bastards that are gettin the deals of the century, and if they may not understnd shit about cars but still get good deals, im sure they undersand enuff the money part of it and when they are gonna sell theyre trasures to buy what the next craze dictates , they still will rip us real motor adicts off for good.
    Doesnt matter how you watch dis, it always sucks when a good thing is infiltrated by posers.
    sorry if i went O/T, this argument lights me up.:mad:

29. I never really clean out the shop. But from time to time I have to thin the herd. Stuff just seems to collect around me at an alarming rate.

I did pretty much sell out in the mid '80s. I kept enough stuff to build a killer off road vehicle and moved th the rain forest for awhile. But it was a necessary evil. Long story.

I think there are as many reasons to peddle everything as there are things to sell. Choose one and hope it never happens to you.

30. gotra66

gotra66

I could and would sell off all stuff for the kids or wife. Luckily it hasn't come to that yet. I don't have a lot of stuff. Mostly just extra engine parts, but i would dump it all if i lost my job or one of them got sick and I needed the money.