Register now to get rid of these ads!

6cyl Ford Tunning problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsleadolds, Aug 12, 2009.

1. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I put a new carb and pertronix on the 62 Ranchero with the stock 170 straight 6. I can seem to get it running right. How much vacuum should be coming off the carb to the dizzy, or is there a way to see if its the vacuum thats making it not accelerate when its in gear.

Right now it's idling fine but when you rev it high it makes a high squeal like a wind up toy on steroids, and in drive it just wont go when I hit the gas just sputters. I checked to make sure it was TDC( lined up the mark on the wheel with the TDC comp. stroke). The carb is from rock auto and is supposed to be off a 64 /w auto so it should have the spark control valve deal they used on the early dist.

My old carb is no good so I cant put it back on to see if its maybe the dist. or if its the carb. If anyone has a 64 shop manual with the autolite 1100 in it and a scanner I would be very appreciative if you would scan it.
    Im open to any ideas

2. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Strongly suggest fordsix.com, lots of info on the carb and the inherent problems with the Pertronix.

I can say that I bought the same carb years ago for my 200 and it was missing a ball check and had some random plastic crap in it, so a rebuild right out of the box might not be unusual. But you know what they say, carb problems usually end up being ignition and vice versa.

Should be diagrams on there too. Good luck.

3. chucklz

chucklz
    from KC

Its my understanding you only need the SCV with the Load-A-Matic Dizzy. A post '68 carb should solve the problem.

4. INTRUDER

INTRUDER
    from NW Indiana

5. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

6. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

I do I have a LOM dizzy thats why I got the carb off of a 64.

Everybody keeps telling me to go to fordsix I know about it I tried to get on it and he never replied back. I was perturbed with the engine and emailed him again "can I get on your site or should I just buy a 302" He took offence and said get a 302.
    I apologized about my poor attitude and how I was angry at my car and he wont even reply back, so here I am.
    Every time I post on here or anywhere else trying to get info someone posts go to fordsix, I wish I could but evidently I'm an asshole. Just ask my wife she'll tell ya.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  7. worken2much

worken2much

Ok, tell me about the sqeal. Is it a vacum leak? If so, then that is likely your trouble. Spray some wd-40 around the carb / intake at idle speed. If the idle changes AT ALL you have a vacum leak.

If you put a timing light on your car, THEN rev the motor up you should see the timing advance. That's your clue regarding if you have enough vacum at your distributor. If you unhook the vacum line to the vacum advance at idle I'd guess the timing shouldn't change more than 2 or 3 degrees.

8. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

You can always go back to points to see if it's the carb and then move onto the pertronix. Lots of those running it say they keep points in the glove compartment.

9. The PerTronix is merely an electronic switch that replaces the points and creates a higher energy signal to the coil allowing a hotter spark. As a general rule, it either works or it doesn't. Since you car runs, it's not likely to be the PerTronix Ignitor. If for some reason you think it might be, PM me, I work there in the Exhaust division and can help you.

Also try the Ford Falcon Network http://www.tffn.net/phpBB3/

Don

10. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

11. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

the squeal almost seems like it might be the valves this may be a totally different prob. than the non driving issue. What should normal vac. be coming out off the carb I have a vacuum guage to check.