Register now to get rid of these ads!

FMX Transmission problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jessefelix, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

I started having problems a while ago with my transmission shifting really hard, so i changed the fluids and put a new filter in. It wont do it if i speed up from 2nd to 3rd but if i start to slow down or just cruise at a slower speed it shifts very hard. Sometimes it even happens when i put the car in reverse. Im not sure why it is doing this any suggestions?

2. Not sure exactly but have you adjusted the kickdown? Have you checked to see if it was lose? Its still the lokar one right?

3. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

yeah i checked that and it was fine

4. 2manyprojects

2manyprojects

Did you check vacum line to Modulater in back of tran. Or even replacing that modulator. 15 years ago they wern't to exspinsive.
    Let us know how you come out on this. I belive there's still several of us who r still relying on These FMX's. I got 1 behind a built 351 C.
    15 years ago it was bad ass . I quess I need to fire up that old F1 Panel.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attached Files:

5. Hmmm thats strange. Well keep us posted, i would like to see what it is.

6. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Your vacumn modulator has a hole in the diaphram .The way to be sure is to take the vacumn line off at the modulator and look for tranny oil to come out of the rubber hose.There should be no oil in that line.Also make sure that you don't have a vac. leak . Tell us what you find ,I'm sure someone can help you . Good luck

7. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

just give up man, the Merc is toast. Give me a call I'll come get it off your hands... No charge even! (see how good of a friend I am??!!)

I agree with the modulator comments, cheap and easy, let me know if you want my kragen discount....

8. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

Wow your such a great friend lol.

9. AstroZombie

AstroZombie

Anything for a pal!

You get that modulator yet??

10. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

ok their is no modulator or any vacum lines just the speed o cable and kickdown. So any other thoughts of what it could be?

11. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

any body have a idea?

12. barney rubble

barney rubble

If its a FMX it has a modulator.

13. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

i was told by the transmission guy yesterday that the early fmx did not have modulators, i have no clue i dont know much about transmissions

14. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

You can check easy, on an FMX the modulator is on the drivers side, pointing towards the back of the car, directly behind the pan...

I don't remember any of the FMX's I had shifting particularly smooth, but a couple I put shift kits in them to make 'em shift harder than hell so my memory may be a bit skewed.

What type of fluid did you use?

15. servo spring might of broke have to drop the pan my 50 cad would shift out of 2 into 3 and would feel like u joints were going to explode and it didnt have a spring in it its like asleave with a piston and what looks like a piston ring thin a spring in betweenI think it slows dow the fluid so u dont get such a hard shift just my 2 cents

16. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

yeah i checked myself and their is no modulator or any type of vacum lines, i cant remember what tranny fluid i used but i remember using some lucas tranny oil to try to help the shifts.

17. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

If it's not been rebuilt, use Type F tranny fluid and stay away from the Dexrons/Mercons... I've read plenty about what can be interchanged with this or that in this or that transmission, but I'd play it safe and use Type F (unless it's had a modern rebuild, then I'd talk to the tranny place). It's what was originally specified for them.

18. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

is it true that the old fmx transmissions had no modulator

19. Bettlejuice

Bettlejuice
    from WV

I've only dealt with a handful of 'em, and to my knowledge mine were all late 60s early 70s, but I've not seen one without a modulator. They're based of the earlier xxx-o-matic transmissions, perhaps that was what he was talking about?

20. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Need more info. Approx. what year is tranny,what engine is it behind? I've built lots of FMX's and can't remember any of them that didn't have a vac. mod.Maybe you have a FX or a MX. ,I wonder if it has a rear pump (you can push start the car). They also had a Twin Range Turbo Drive but that was in the 61-64 lincolns only.Don't make me go out back to my shop and dig out some info on that old stuff that I havn't thought about in a long time.Any info you can supply I know we can get you some answers :)

21. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

i am not sure what year the tranny is and its behind a 292 y block, i have never tried to push start the car. i hope that helps you people out with some thoughts.

22. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

First off, what car is this installed into? Is it the Merc in your avatar? If so does it have two drive ranges? (PRND1D2L)If not you have a FURDOMATIC (PRNDL), not a FMX. If it does have two ranges then you may have an early Cruise-o-matic from a 58-60 Furd product. In 1961 Furd started using vacuum modulators on Cruise-o-matics, FMXs.

So if no VM then the rod from carb to transmission is really a TV (throttle valve) rod and controls shifting at all speeds. It also functions as a kickdown when WOT. My guess is that you will need to adjust this rod to specifications and try again. BTW: This TV rod is used on Furdomatics too, so the same applies to that transmission.

Let us know more about car and how many drive ranges you really have. Then we can help.

23. Jessefelix

Jessefelix
    from Hanford,Ca

it is on the merc, and i have PRNDL I had the transmission guy adjust that throttle valve he said it was for pressure for the transmission to know when to shift but it still has the problems.