Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pomona swap meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vetteracer, Aug 11, 2009.

1. G'day all,

My significant other and I are flying into LA on Saturday for our vacation. She said that we could go to the Pomona swap meet on Sunday. She already made hotel reservations and has a rental for us.

I have never been to a large swap meet before so any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I know this is kind of a vague request but we are small town North Dakota peeps and any advice would be great. We won't be looking for cars/trucks etc, just neat old speed parts.

Thanks,
    mitch

2. caddy-hack

caddy-hack
    BANNED

bring a wagon there is about 18 miles of walking to do

3. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Did that swap meet once a few years back, every local said get there early, because it will be a ghost town by 2pm. Alittle different than texas swapmeets. Sure enough people were there with flashlights and mostly gone by 1pm, it was a one day event, however it is big and very well laid out

4. Bring, rent or buy a wagon...comfortable shoes...lots of water...cash...advil...sunglasses

5. mixup

mixup

When I go I get there by 5am and leave by 1pm. If you don't get there early be ready to wait in line to get into the parking lot.

6. Exactly what oddroddgarage said.

7. MERRELL

MERRELL

get there early! wear some good shoes and plan on spending about 25$ before getting in the gate!! if your a beer drinker empty your savings;]

8. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

You'll have a great time. Always great stuff and great people watching:eek:!!

Don't worry about the lines, especially if you're just walk-in!!

Ian

9. Tuske427

Tuske427

also bring a Camera. They have a lot of car in the "for sale" section, you never know what you may want to take pics of...

10. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Bring hat, sunblock & good walking shoes. Rent a wagon when you 1st walk in. Get there early- before 6am to beat the crowd. Bring cash. If you need more- there are ATM's inside. Bring camera. 2 cell phones work great if you get separated from your group (wife). 1st couple of rows are new shit- mostly hot wheels, diecasts & stuff. I usually walk all the way to the back row & start there & work forward towards exit. Take a pen & notepad so you can write row & space # of a part you might want to come back too. Row & space numbers are painted on ground. Be cautious of beer & food prices. It's damn expensive but the tri-tip sammich is pretty good. Sandwich & a beer may be $22 bucks! Lots of porta potties for your hot day pleasure & they are unisex, so no peeing on the seat. Do check the cars on north side. It's like a car show & there's usually some killer deals on projects & completed cars. Warning- Brackett Field is next door so when you get a fly-over, don't hit the deck- you'll look like a tourist. They come in very low!!!!!
    And don't forget to check the NHRA Museum right next door on McKinley. But that's a 1/2 day minimum for the museum right there!

11. madpole

madpole

i think general parking is $8 and its another $8 per adult to get in. the section to your right when you go in is the vw section, so if thats not yer thing, keep walking because there is plenty to see. wear a hat, and bring water.

12. I've hardly missed any in the last 30 years. What everybody else said. Get there early. It's worth going just to see the show in the hot rod parking area.

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

How does this swap rate along side the La Roadster Show/swap? Only West coast swap I ever made it to was the Longbeach T Swap back in the 1970's.

14. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

Early means as the sun is rising. Last time for me I was "early" and peeps were already leaving with their first loads! The other thing, if you're looking for great deals, for cheap, hang around until late in the day and the sellers (with stuff left) really work price deals, anything is better for them than dragging it home, cars or parts.

Another thing, bring lots of CASH as you will see stuff you want!

15. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Ahh... nothing like have one too many beers by 9am!

Parts are one thing... the real fun is walking through all the cars for sale.

16. madpole

madpole

it is much bigger than the la roadster show swap, but the roadster show seems to have more of the kind of stuff i look for.
    i go to every pomona and long beach swapmeet, but i think the fathers day show is still my favorite.

17. elrobo818

elrobo818

BYOB TOO... you save a lot of money that way :D

18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Wagon, hat, sunblock, water & food. Prices for food and drink are sky high. They search your cooler when you come in. Get there before the sun comes up.

19. mackster

mackster

I like your thinking! I drink before I walk in to get myself purge up for more drinking. my wife says is wrong to start drinking at 5am but I usually just keep drinking tru the night! :D

20. Advice and tips: Don't wear any football gear but the Raiders. Looking for old speed parts? Good luck....Now if you own an impala and your looking for that rare tissue box holder for $2000 your set.

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

Ihave not been in a while but I am hoping to hit the October meet. I should go more often since it kills any swaps here in Arizona.

22. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great swap, however, lots of regular "pro" sellers with pretty firm prices. You'll also see some cars and parts that I call "just for display" because the asking price is a good 50%+ over current market value-bottom fishers.
    You're hoping to find a non regular seller who's cleaning out the garage to find good prices.
    As mentioned, food and drinks are high. If you rent a wagon, bring yourself a soft cooler (you can take it in your luggage) and load it with drinks and ice to save some $ and waiting in line.

23. G'day all and thanks to everyone's great advice. Since our decision to go to this event was just made Sunday I should probably compose a list of the parts I am looking for and what I am willing to pay. Might be helpful. Thanks again.

mitch

24. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

Bring a wagon and then stand right in front of me, like every other a-hole.

25. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Used to do the swap every other meet. A lot of walking, the rest of the posts pretty much describes all that happens.

I have yet to be to the Hershey and Carlisle swaps in Pennsylvania. But I am hoping that they are more geared toward makes other than Chevy, Ford, and VW. Pomona swap majority of parts are for those makes.